Peach Pie topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream is what summertime dreams are made of. Because this recipe uses premade pie crust, it’s a cinch to make, which means you can enjoy fresh-out-of-the-oven Peach Pie whenever the mood strikes. So good!
A Classic Fruit Pie
This Peach Pie recipe is a classic. There’s nothing fancy, no unexpected ingredients thrown in, and that’s what makes it so irresistible. Summer peaches are so sweet and juicy, you want their flavor to shine through! Just a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg is all you need.
A lot of store-bought Peach Pies are made with prepared pie filling, and it shows. The peaches are mushy and instead of being perfectly sweet and syrupy, the pie filling is thick, gloppy, and so sweet it makes your teeth hurt. Homemade Peach Pie is so worth it.
Easy Peach Pie Recipe
The hardest part about making pie is the crust, but when you use a premade crust, the process is pretty much effortless. Simply combine all the filling ingredients and transfer them to the pie crust.
Peach Pie is traditionally a double-crust pie, so you’ll need another layer of crust over the top of the filling. If you want to continue with the effortless theme, you can just put a full sheet of pie dough over the top. If you’re feeling fancy, cut the dough into strips and weave it into a lattice pattern over the top of the pie. It’s easier than you think and it looks impressive!
Ingredients + Variations
Here’s what you’ll need to make Peach Pie:
- Premade pie crust – The kind that’s refrigerated or frozen.
- Peaches – You could use nectarines, too. (Did you know that nectarines actually are peaches?! They have a genetic mutation that makes them fuzz-free. This means you can always use the two interchangeably in recipes.)
- Lemon juice – A little bit of acid tempers the sweetness of the peaches.
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- All-purpose flour – The flour thickens the juices released by the peaches. You could use cornstarch, but I think flour is better.
- Ground nutmeg
- Egg – Using an egg wash gives your pie a nice glazed look.
How to Make Peach Pie
1. Make the Filling
Combine the peaches, lemon juice, sugars, nutmeg, cinnamon, and flour in a large bowl and toss to combine.
2. Prepare the Crust
Roll out half of the pie dough, then refrigerate the rest. Press the dough into the bottom of a pie plate.
3. Assemble the Pie
Place the pie filling in the bottom crust, then add a top crust—either a full sheet of dough with some vents cut into it for steam to escape or cut the dough into strips and arrange it into a lattice pattern. Brush the top pie crust with egg wash and sprinkle it with sugar.
4. Bake the Pie
Bake your Peach Pie for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling up and the crust is golden brown.
How do you thicken Peach Pie filling?
I like flour for thickening Peach Pie filling because I think it has a better mouthfeel than pie filling that uses cornstarch. If you’re more of a cornstarch person, you can use that instead! Some people use tapioca or arrowroot powder, but I’ve never tried those myself.
Do you have to peel peaches for pie?
That’s up to you! You can leave the peaches with the skin on if it doesn’t bother you (or rub them gently with a paper towel to remove the fuzz only), or you can peel them, which is definitely the most popular way to do it. To make peeling easier, blanch the peaches in boiling water for a minute, or until the skins loosen a bit, then transfer them to ice water; once they’ve cooled, drain and peel them.
More Easy Pie Recipes
If pie is your favorite dessert, here are some more recipes to try:
- Oreo Pie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
- No-Bake Pumpkin Pie
- Coconut Cream Pie
- Chocolate Cream Pie
- No-Bake Banana Split Pie
- 1 premade pie crust - or make your own
- 6 or 7 ripe peaches peeled and sliced, approximately 5 cups
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 egg - beaten with a tablespoon of water
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, add peaches, lemon juice, both sugars, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and flour and toss together until peaches are well coated.
- Roll out half of the pie dough and place the rest in the refrigerator. Add rolled out pie dough to the bottom of your pie plate.
- Fill pie dough with peach filling.
- Roll out remaining dough and add to the top of the peach filling in a full sheet or in a lattice pattern
- Brush top of pie crush with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and inside peach filling is bubbling.