Cheesy Potatoes is a crowd-pleasing side dish that goes by many different names but never has any leftovers! Comfort food at it’s best!
This cheesy side dish recipe goes by many different names – cheesy potatoes casserole, cheesy potato bake, funeral potatoes, and hashbrown casserole are just a few.
I remember my mom pulling this amazing cheesy potatoes casserole out of the oven for special family gatherings and I couldn’t wait to dig into all that melty cheesy goodness. It was the stuff that legends are made of!
And in all of my years of taking dishes to potlucks and special occasions I’ve found that you can’t go wrong with a cheesy potato dish – EVER!
I have a feeling you’re going to find the same thing once you make this cheesy potato casserole recipe, too!
What’s great about this dish is that you can throw it all into a large bowl, mix it up, add to a 9×13 baking dish and you’re ready for the oven.
This easy recipe really only takes minutes to prepare to bake.
Cheesy Potatoes Casserole
My mom made this easy casserole recipe for years and I always loved it! She didn’t make it often but when she did, we were all so excited! This cheesy side dish recipe goes by many names –
- Cheesy Potatoes Casserole
- Funeral Potatoes
- Party Potatoes
- Cheesy Hashbrown Potatoes
Made with simple, everyday ingredients, this dish is a must-have for any get-together you host!
Ingredients needed for Cheesy Potatoes
- frozen hashbrown potaotes – I like Ore-Ida Hashbrowns but you could use Country Style Shredded Hashbrowns, too!
- cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- cream of chicken soup
- cornflakes – a MUST for the topping
This casserole recipe is super easy to make, too!
How To Make Cheesy Potatoes Casserole
- Add frozen hashbrowns, cream of chicken soup, sour cream and cheese to a large bowl and mix well.
- Add the potato mixture to a large baking dish.
- Top with a mixture of crushed up cornflakes and butter.
- Bake! That’s it!
This old-fashioned potato dish is so delicious. I love the crunchy topping of corn flakes coated with melted butter the best. It just adds a special touch of goodness that a lot of recipes don’t include.
Do yourself a favor and don’t leave off this buttery topping. It’s what makes this dish over the top good!
There’s just something about it that reminds me of being little. My grandmother used to add them to the top of her casseroles all the time and when I add crushed up cornflakes to the top of my dishes, it takes me back instantly.
If you’re wondering what might be some good main dishes to add cheesy potatoes to, try my favorites –
This side dish is perfect for any picnic, family gathering or holiday! They’re super versatile!
No matter what you decide, I promise this Easy Cheesy Potatoes Recipe will be a hit!
Looking for more CHEESY recipes?
Cheesy Potatoes Recipe
- 2 lb bag frozen hash browns
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 stick butter - melted
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups corn flakes
- 1 stick butter - melted
- Preheat over to 375 degrees.
- Mix first 6 ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add cheesy potatoes to a 9x13 baking dish.
- melt 1 stick of butter and pour over cornflakes in a small bowl - mix well.
- Add cornflakes mixture evenly to the top of the casserole
- Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes until casserole is hot and bubbly.
Pin this recipe for later!