Made with simple ingredients – mandarin oranges, pineapple, cottage cheese, and cool whip, this simple Orange Fluff Salad is the best!
Orange Fluff Salad is one of my favorite old-fashioned recipes that takes me straight to memories of backyard BBQs. Made with mandarin oranges, pineapple, cottage cheese, and a few other simple ingredients, this is one dessert salad that I crave all year long.
Who would have thought that the ingredients in this orange creamsicle fluff would create the perfect texture and taste? Just thinking about this simple heavenly orange fluff brings a smile to my face.
Mandarin Orange Salad with Cool Whip, Cottage Cheese, Orange Jello, and Pineapples
Since this simple dessert salad recipe has only three easy steps, there’s no time like now to get it done! I like to actually prep this salad a day in advance so I can pop it in the fridge to let the flavors merge and chill.
Check out this Cranberry Cream Cheese Dessert as another creamy and light dessert option! The more recipes that have fruit in them, the better!
Ingredients to make Orange Fluff with Cottage Cheese
- 8 oz frozen whipped topping – thawed Cool Whip (or store brand) is best for this recipe.
- 3 oz package orange gelatin mix – Jello orange mix – just the powder
- 16 oz of full fat cottage cheese – small or large curd will work
- 14 oz can mandarin oranges, drained
- 20 oz can crushed pineapple, drained – whole canned pineapple will work but just chop into pieces to use
- 1 cup mini marshmallows – large marshmallows are fine but just cut them into pieces before adding
How To Make Orange Fluff Salad
Combine the thawed whipped topping and jello orange gelatin powder together in a large bowl and stir until combined.
Add in the cottage cheese, mandarin oranges, pineapple, and mini marshmallows, and gently fold in until the mixture is combined.
Enjoy right away or chill covered in the fridge until ready to serve.
Tips or Variations
- If you want to leave out the cottage cheese, you can. Some people prefer to not have it and it still tastes great either way.
- Adding in some slivered almonds is a great way to add in a bit of crunch and texture, too. I’ve even roasted them in the oven for a few moments and then added them and it was divine.
Can you freeze Orange Fluff for later?
I wouldn’t attempt to freeze this recipe. With the fruit releasing juice and the cottage cheese added, there’s a very high chance that it would freeze and create a texture that might be watery and mushy.
How do you store this leftover orange fluff recipe with crushed pineapple?
This recipe is meant to be cold so make certain that you keep it stored in the fridge at a cool temp. You’re going to want to have a storage lid on it as well.
Like this sweet Orange Fluff salad recipe? Find out how to make these other sweet treats and dessert recipes!
Orange Fluff Salad
- 8 oz frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 3 oz jello orange gelatin mix
- 16 oz full fat cottage cheese, small or large curd
- 14 oz mandarin oranges, drained
- 20 oz crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Combine the thawed whipped topping and orange gelatin powder together in a large bowl and stir until combined.
- Add in the cottage cheese, mandarin oranges, pineapple and mini marshmallows and gently fold in until mixture is combined.
- Enjoy right away or chill covered in the fridge until ready to serve.