If you’re looking for an easy dessert recipe that’s sure to make everyone smile, you’ll love this Strawberry Jello Poke Cake!
This fruity, fun cake made with a white cake mix is perfect for all your spring and summertime celebrations. It’s light, sweet, and made with strawberry jello and cool whip – what’s not to love?!
Top with a few fresh strawberries and this is sure to be one of your favorite poke cake recipes!
(Love strawberry desserts? Try my strawberry lemon cupcakes, Jello Pretzel Salad, and Strawberry Crunch Poke Cake, and Strawberry Crunch Ice Cream Cake too!)
An Easy Poke Cake Recipe
Birthday parties, 4th of July block parties, backyard barbecues, pool parties, you name it – every summer celebration is the perfect excuse to make this Strawberry Jello Poke Cake!
One of the best things about this jello poke cake recipe is just how easy it really is to whip up. You only need 5 very simple, inexpensive ingredients, and about an hour of baking and cooling time. Plus, the steps couldn’t be much easier to follow!
This is a foolproof recipe that you’ll want to make over and over again.
The best thing about this entire cake is that it’s made from a boxed cake mix! This will be your little secret because it legit tastes like a homemade cake!
Everyone will love this easy strawberry jello poke cake because of the extra flavor that comes with every bite. Just be sure to follow the box directions on the back of the box so that you’re getting the best results.
(Looking for another classic strawberry dessert? Try my Strawberry Pretzel Dessert too!)
- White Cake Mix – Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines are my choice of tried and true cake mixes! However, there are plenty of other brands that will also work in this strawberry poke cake, and you could even use strawberry cake mix for more berry flavor.
- Water – For the jello mixture to come out perfect, you’ll need to boil the water. Not just warm it up – fully boil it until there are bubbles!
- Strawberry Jello – A little tip – when working with jello, it occasionally doesn’t come out perfect. These boxes are cheap, so make sure to buy an extra one just in case the first batch doesn’t provide the desired results.
- Whipped Topping – It doesn’t get much better than Cool Whip, does it? I don’t think any summertime recipes would be complete without a dollop!
- Strawberries – Summertime means something very important… The strawberries are fresh and juicy this time of year! Skip the lackluster frozen stuff and buy a container of fresh, juicy strawberries.
This cake will cost you under $10. If you’re on a budget, this recipe will be your new best friend!
HOW TO MAKE THIS EASY CAKE MIX RECIPE
STEP 1. PREPARE
Preheat the oven to 350°F. While that’s heating up, spray the bottom of a 13×9-inch pan with cooking spray.
STEP 2. TIME FOR CAKE
Before you start using any of the other ingredients, prepare the cake as directed on the box.
STEP 3. BAKE AND COOL
Bake the white cake for approximately 28 to 32 minutes. The best way to check for doneness is to use the toothpick method! Simply insert the toothpick in the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready to be removed from the oven. If it’s not clean, allow the cake to cook for another 3 minutes or so. When it’s fully cooked, allow the cake to cool for about 20 minutes.
STEP 4. MAKE THE JELLO AND POKE
Pour the boiling water onto the jello powder and stir until the powder is dissolved. Then, add holes to the cooled white cake with the handle of a wooden spoon. Carefully pour the strawberry gelatin evenly over the top of the cake. Let it cool completely!
STEP 4. SERVE AND ENJOY!
Spread the whipped topping evenly over the top of the cake. Cut the cake into squares, then add freshly sliced strawberries on top of each slice. Enjoy your picturesque poke cake!
VARIATIONS TO TRY
This jello poke cake is a tried and true classic recipe! However, there are a few fun ways to shake things up a bit. Be sure to try some of these variations!
- Strawberry is my favorite flavor because it says “summer” like no other flavor to me! However, you can make this poke cake with just about any jello flavor you can get your hands on. Lemon, orange, and cherry jello would all be delicious with this white cake mix recipe.
- To emphasize the strawberry flavor even more, consider adding a few drops of strawberry extract to the cake mix or whipped cream topping! Be careful, though, because a little strawberry extract goes a long way. You want an additional hint of strawberry, not an overpowering amount of it! Just 3 or 4 drops should do the trick.
- If you’re making this cake for the 4th of July, toss some blueberries on top of the cake! In fact, you could make an adorable American flag out of whipped cream, strawberries, and blueberries.
Can you change up the flavor of this cake?
You bet! This is the best part! You can turn this strawberry poke cake recipe into a totally different flavor by using a chocolate cake mix!
How do you store leftover cake?
The best way to store this perfect summer dessert is to have it in an airtight container. It needs to be kept cool in the fridge.
This strawberry jello poke cake is inexpensive, easy to make, and perfectly festive for spring and summer. What are you waiting for?! You have no reason not to treat yourself to this simple, sweet, fruity jello poke cake.
Need more desserts to carry you through a summer full of parties? Here are some of the best easy recipes for summer!
- Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake
- Fruit Pizza
- Shark Bait Ice Cream Floats
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake
- Coconut Cream Cupcakes with Homemade Buttercream Frosting
Strawberry Jello Poke Cake
- 1 box white cake mix prepared as directed
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 box 4-serving size Jell-O strawberry-flavored gelatin
- 1 container 8 oz Whipped Topping (Cool Whip)
- 12 fresh strawberries cut in half
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom of 13×9-inch pan with cooking spray. Prepare cake as directed on box.
- Bake 28 to 32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on cooling rack 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, pour boiling water on gelatin and stir until dissolved.
- Add holes to cake with the of a wooden spoon.
- Carefully pour strawberry gelatin evenly over top of cake. Cool completely
- Spread whipped topping over cake.
- Add strawberries to the top of each piece of cake before serving.
This cake was delicious my family loved it
this cake was fantastic!!!! For the topping I whipped some cream cheese and a little powered sugar and folded it into the cool whip. So good. Thank you!