Want a quick brownie fix? Here’s everything you need to to know about How to Make Box Brownies Better! We’ve got you covered with these 10 tricks, tips, and hacks to make the best brownies ever.
If you’re wondering how to make a store bought brownie mix better you’ve come to the right place! There’s a reason why brownie box mix is so popular. I mean, it wouldn’t surprise me to find out that many bakeries are secretly turning to the boxed mix for their brownie batter just like they do a box cake mix. Can you blame them?
How to Make Boxed Brownies Better
Brownies always hit the spot. If you’re like me, you don’t always have the time to whip up a batch of brownies from scratch. But that doesn’t mean you should miss out on brownies! I’ve come up with a few ways to doctor up a boxed brownie mix to make them be the star of the show every single time.
You know I love a good doctored up cake mix recipe and now I’m adding a method for a good doctored brownie mix! These simple tips and tricks will give you mouthwatering brownies every single time, guaranteed.
If you want more brownie recipes I have so many great ones! Some of my favorites include Peanut Butter Cup Brownies, Marbled Brownies, Cream Cheese Brownies, Brownie Pizza, S’Mores Brownies , and Mocha Brownie Trifle.
How To Make Box Brownies That Taste Better
Boxed brownies are always a good idea. With their chocolatey cake, fudgy edges, and gooey centers, there’s nothing not to like about this chocolatey treat. The best part about box brownie mix is that it can get even better with a few simple tricks. If you’ve ever wanted to take your box brownie mix up a notch, this post is for you!
Since boxed brownie mix includes the exact same measurements of ingredients, you are assured the same amazing brownies every single time you bake them. With all of that in mind, sometimes boxed brownies can still taste a little flat. Luckily, it’s pretty simple to add a few adjustments to the mix to take simple boxed brownies to the next level.
Now, I am a big proponent of making baked goods from scratch and love a good homemade brownie recipe. However, sometimes there is just no reason to do so. If you want to figure out how to enhance your boxed brownie mix and turn them into a homemade-tasting treat, these tips and tricks are just what you need.
10 Ways To Make Box Brownies Amazing
- Swap out water for milk: Opt for whole milk instead of water. It will add much more flavor to the brownies and provide a much denser and fudgy texture.
- Add salt: Want to enhance the flavor in the brownies? Add in some salt. The salt will highlight the chocolate in the brownies. Don’t want to mix salt directly into the brownies? Sprinkle some flakey sea salt on top of the brownies right as they come out of the oven and let the salt melt into the brownies to create the perfect bite.
- Swap in melted butter for oil: Leave out the oil and replace it with melted butter. The replacement will make your brownies even richer and give them a super fudgy texture.
- Add coffee: Coffee will be your secret weapon in making your brownies better. Coffee will actually enhance the flavor of the chocolate and bring out all of the best elements of the decadent treat. You can also add in a little espresso powder for the same effect.
- Use mix-ins to add in flavor and texture: Plain brownies are great and all, but brownies with mix-in are so much better. Add in marshmallows to make s’mores brownies, swirl in some cream cheese to make marbled brownies, or chop up peanut butter cups to turn your brownies into a mouthwatering classic combination.
- Use vanilla: A small amount of vanilla goes a long way. Just a splash of vanilla extract will give your boxed brownies that homemade touch. It helps to balance out the flavors and brings everything together.
- Go toppings crazy: What’s better than a brownie? A brownie full of toppings! Right before your brownies hit the oven, top them with sprinkles or loads of chocolate chips. You can even save the toppings for when the brownies come out of the oven and use ice cream or frosting.
- Double down on the chocolate: There’s no such thing as too much chocolate. Upgrade your boxed brownie mix and add even more chocolate into the mix with chocolate chips, chopped chocolate, or even opt for a bar of swirled white chocolate to switch up the classic flavor.
- Adjust the number of eggs: Want super fudgy brownies? Adjust the number of eggs in the recipe. Use either one egg or two egg yolks. Egg yolks hold all of the fat, so using just them in the recipe will result in super fudgy brownies. If you are looking for lighter brownies with a more cake-like texture, add an extra egg to the batter.
- Change the temperature: There is nothing worse than a brownie that tastes like a piece of cardboard. To ensure you have perfectly cooked brownies every single time, ignore the cooking time and take your brownies out of the oven 5-10 minutes before they look done. The secret is to look for the crackling on the top of the brownies.
Brownie Topping Ideas
Wondering what you can add to brownies? Here are some great topping options:
- Nuts – Add a little crunch with pecans, walnuts, or peanuts!
- Candies – Snickers Bars, M&M’s, Heath Bars, Butterfingers, and more!
- Mini Marshmallows – Just throw a handful on at the end of baking for melty goodness.
- Drizzle on Sauce – Add a little caramel sauce or chocolate sauce right on top after baking.
- Cookies – Crumble up some chocolate chip or thin mint cookies for even more chocolate flavor.
- Extracts – Add a teaspoon or two of peppermint, almond, or even coconut extract.
And that’s it! These tips will easily make any boxed brownie mix ten times better. The biggest question left now is will you go for that edge or centerpiece?
How to Make Boxed Brownies Better
- 1 18.4 oz box chocolate brownie mix no mix-ins
- 2/3 butter – melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips/chunks plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease an 8×8 nonstick square pan with cooking spray, then line with a parchment sling. Set aside.
- Place brownie mix, butter, milk, eggs, instant coffee, vanilla, and salt into a large bowl.
- Stir until well combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips/chunks.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, then top with additional chocolate chips/chunks, if desired.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes (an inserted toothpick should come out kind of gooey).
- Let cool in the pan for 30 minutes, then remove, cut into squares, and enjoy!