There’s just nothing like a big piece of homemade chocolate cake with creamy, chocolate frosting and a tall glass of milk.
I don’t know about you, but I don’t always have time to make a recipe from scratch. And If I do have time, will it turn out awesome every time? So, I have a little trick up my sleeve to make a Box Cake Mix Taste Homemade!
On some occasions, I turn to a doctored up cake mix to get the best cake and cupcakes around!
10 Tricks To Make A Box Cake Mix Taste Homemade
Did you know that most professional cake makers use boxed cake mixes? They do!
I had no idea until I saw one of our town’s biggest wedding cake bakers checking out at the store with powdered sugar, butter, eggs and several boxes of Duncan Hines White Cake Mix! I couldn’t believe it!
I could have sworn her cakes were homemade! Nope.
The truth is that you need good tools as much as you need tricks for your cake mix! Before you go any further – Pick up THESE items to have the most successful cake making experience! I am telling you that I have THE BEST cakes when I use the right tools. With a good mixer, nice cake pans, non-stick spray and a cake leveler, you are SURE to get great results!
KitchenAid KSM155GBRI 5-Qt. Artisan Design Series with Glass Bowl – Raspberry IceWilton Recipe Right 2 Piece Round Pan Set, 9-InchWilton Bake Easy Non-Stick SprayWilton Decorate Smart Small Cake Leveler
Apparently, the box mixes include the perfect mix of ingredients for a perfectly finished cake – every time! So, you HAVE TO TRY IT!
Yep! It tasted just like it was made from scratch! I was sold.
There is definitely a time for a homemade, from scratch cake – but there is also a time for doctoring up a boxed mix to make it taste just like homemade.
Here are my 10 Tricks to Make A Box Cake Mix Taste Like Homemade!
Try adding a few of these tips to your box cake mix to make it taste just like homemade!
- Milk. Use whole milk instead of water. It gives it a denser texture like homemade.
- Eggs. Use 3-4 eggs instead of 2 for a richer taste.
- Sugar & Flour. Add 1/4- 1 cup sugar and flour to your cake mix.
- Coffee. For chocolate cakes, use strong brewed coffee instead of water to deepen the flavor.
- Sour Cream. Add in 1/2 cup sour cream to add a more dense, rich flavor.
- Pudding. Add a small instant pudding box to the mix to add moisture and flavor.
- Vanilla & Salt. Add in a teaspoon of vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon of salt the mix.
- Butter. Use melted butter in the place of vegetable oil for richer taste.
- Mix Ins – Add a handful of chocolate chips, fruit or nuts to personalize your cake.
- Frosting. Make homemade frosting! This is a MUST for cakes. It makes all the difference in the world!
That’s it! Try a few of these tricks the next time you have a cake to bake. I have a feeling you will be reaching for a box mix more often!
Need to alter a recipe for other measurements? Try this free printable that shows you How Many Cups in a Quart, Pint or Gallon and other valuable ways to translate while you cook.
The Best Easy Cake Recipes|Easy Cake Recipes that can be whipped up quickly and tastes like something you purchased from a bakery!
If you need to know How to Bake a Cake, I have you covered, too!
If you want to see some of these tricks in action, check out this video where I make this cake LIVE on Good Day Marketplace HERE!
Do you have any tricks that I didn’t mention that you use? Share them with me in the comments below!
CLICK BELOW FOR
for my FREE printable cheat sheet for
Pin This Post for Later!
Check out these awesome cake mix recipes!
Heath Bar Cake – it’s sooooo good!
Coconut Cream Cupcakes – my favorite!
Air Head Candy Cupcakes – the kids love them!
For more cake ideas!