The next time you need to make a delicious cake, use these 10 Tricks to Make A Box Cake Mix Taste Like Homemade. Get my favorite cake recipe, too!
There’s just nothing like a big piece of homemade chocolate cake with creamy, chocolate frosting and a tall glass of milk.
I don’t know about you, but I don’t always have time to make a recipe from scratch. And If I do have time, will it turn out awesome every time? So, I have a little trick up my sleeve to make a Box Cake Mix Taste Homemade!
10 Tricks To Make A Box Cake Mix Taste Homemade
Did you know that most professional cake makers use boxed cake mixes? They do!
I had no idea until I saw one of our town’s biggest wedding cake bakers checking out at the store with powdered sugar, butter, eggs and several boxes of Duncan Hines White Cake Mix! I couldn’t believe it!
I could have sworn her cakes were homemade! Nope.
Come to find out from a trusted friend that is known for her amazing cakes, that they even teach bakers in classes that you really can’t beat a Duncan Hines Cake mix these days! WOW!
Apparently, the box mixes include the perfect mix of ingredients for a perfectly finished cake – every time! So, you HAVE TO TRY IT!
Yep! It tasted just like it was made from scratch! I was sold.
There is definitely a time for a homemade, from scratch cake – but there is also a time for doctoring up a boxed mix to make it taste just like homemade.
Here are THE BEST Tricks On How To Make Box Cake Better!
Try adding a few of these tips to your box cake mix to make it taste just like homemade!
- Milk. Use whole milk instead of water. It gives it a denser texture like homemade.
- Eggs. Use 3-4 eggs instead of 2 for a richer taste.
- Sugar & Flour. Add 1/4- 1 cup sugar and flour to your cake mix.
- Coffee. For chocolate cakes, use strong brewed coffee instead of water to deepen the flavor.
- Sour Cream. Add in 1/2 cup sour cream to add a more dense, rich flavor.
- Pudding. Add a small instant pudding box to the mix to add moisture and flavor.
- Vanilla & Salt. Add in a teaspoon of vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon of salt the mix.
- Butter. Use melted butter in the place of vegetable oil for a richer taste.
- Mix-Ins – Add a handful of chocolate chips, fruit or nuts to personalize your cake.
- Frosting. Make homemade buttercream frosting! This is a MUST for cakes. It makes all the difference in the world!
That’s it! Try a few of these tricks the next time you have a cake to bake. I have a feeling you will be reaching for a box mix more often!
If you want to see some of these tricks in action, check out this video where I make this cake LIVE on Good Day Marketplace HERE!
Here’s one of my favorite recipes using a box cake mix!
Chocolate Cupcakes (From A Box Mix!)
- 15 ounce box devil's food cake mix
- 3.9 ounce box instant chocolate pudding dry
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 325° Place cupcake liners in cupcake pans.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Add the remaining ingredients and beat with a hand mixer for 2 minutes.
- Use an ice cream scoop (linked above) to fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full.
- Bake about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Pipe on frosting with a large star tip for a swirl or just by hand!
Butter Cream Frosting
- Need to alter a recipe for other measurements? Try this free printable that shows you How Many Cups in a Quart, Pint or Gallon and other valuable ways to translate while you cook.
- The Best Easy Cake Recipes|Easy Cake Recipes that can be whipped up quickly and tastes like something you purchased from a bakery!
- If you need to know How to Bake a Cake, I have you covered, too!
CLICK BELOW FOR
for my FREE printable cheat sheet for
Pin This Post for Later!
Check out these awesome cake mix recipes!
Heath Bar Cake – it’s sooooo good!
Air Head Candy Cupcakes – the kids love them!
For more cake ideas!