Brookies are perfect for all those times when you can’t choose between a brownie and a cookie! This easy brookie recipe uses chocolate chip cookie mix and brownie mix to help get dessert on the table lickety-split!
Pin this recipe now to save it for laterPin Recipe
I love to give boxed cake mixes an upgrade, but today we’re going to give cookie mix and brownie mix an upgrade—by putting them together and making the ultimate treat! Brookies start with a layer of fudgy brownies, which is then topped with a second layer of chewy chocolate chip cookies for double the decadence. If you love chocolate, or even if you just have a sweet tooth, you’re going to love this recipe.
And you’re especially going to love how easy it is!
Easy Brookies Recipe
Seriously, this recipe for brookies couldn’t be any more simple. Just pick up a pouch of chocolate chip cookie mix and a box of brownie mix at the grocery store, and you probably have all the rest of the ingredients in your kitchen already!
If you’re looking for an effortless holiday baking project or something for your kids to whip up while they’re home for school over winter break, this easy brookies recipe is exactly what you need. You can dress it up with M&Ms or sprinkles, but it’s perfect as-is too. After all, who can resist brownies and cookies together?!
Ingredients For Brookies
For the Cookie Layer:
- Chocolate chip cookie mix
- Butter or margarine – This should be softened at room temperature.
- Egg – Your egg should also be at room temperature.
For the Brownie Layer:
- Fudge brownie mix
- Vegetable oil – Canola oil is fine, too.
- Eggs – Let these come to room temperature also!
How to Make Brookies
- Prepare: Preheat your oven to 350°F, and grease a baking pan with cooking spray.
- Make the brownie layer: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, stir together the brownie ingredients until well combined. Spread it evenly in the prepared pan.
- Make the cookie layer: In a second medium bowl, stir together the cookie ingredients just until a soft dough forms. Dollop small spoonfuls of the cookie dough evenly over the brownie batter—it will spread as it bakes.
- Bake: Place the pan in the preheated oven. Allow your brookies to bake for 33 to 38 minutes or until the brownie batter is set around the edges and a toothpick inserted 2 inches from the side of the pan comes out clean or with just a few moist crumbs.
- Cool and serve: Cool the brookies in the pan on a cooling rack for about 1 hour. Then, cut the dessert into squares, and enjoy.
Let the brookies cool completely in the pan. When they are cool, they will be much easier to remove and slice.
How to Store Brookies
Store your brookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 to 4 days. You can refrigerate them for up to a week, but they taste better when kept at room temperature!
You can also freeze brookies in an airtight container or freezer bag for 2 to 3 months. Let them thaw at room temperature, or heat them in the microwave for a warm dessert!
Brookies are a unique dessert that combines brownie batter and cookie dough, usually chocolate chip, into a single treat. Typically, brookie recipes start with a base of brownie batter that is topped with dollops of cookie dough. Then, the mixture is baked to perfection and sliced into bars.
It depends on the recipe you follow! For this easy brookie recipe using brownie mix, it takes between 33 and 38 minutes, depending on your oven.
Brookies are done when you can insert a toothpick and it comes out almost clean. A few crumbs (or chocolate) is okay, but the batter should not be gooey or wet.
- Mixing bowls
- Baking Dish
- Wire Cooling Rack
- Measuring cups
- 1 (~18 ounce) box brownie mix fudge
- ¼ cup water
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 (~17.5 ounce) pouch cookie mix chocolate chip
- 4 Tablespoons butter softened
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 large egg room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir the brownie layer ingredients until well blended. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.1 (~18 ounce) box brownie mix fudge, ¼ cup water, ⅔ cup vegetable oil, 2 large eggs
- Next, in a second medium-sized bowl, stir the cookie layer ingredients until a soft dough forms.1 (~17.5 ounce) pouch cookie mix chocolate chip, 4 Tablespoons butter, 1 Tablespoon water, 1 large egg
- Dollop small spoonfuls of the cookie dough evenly over the brownie batter (no need to spread it out or press it down).
- Bake 33 to 38 minutes or until brownies are set around edges and toothpick inserted 2 inches from side of pan comes out almost clean.
- Cool completely in pan on cooling rack, about 1 hour.
- Cut into square and serve.