Scotcheroos are the most underrated anytime snack bar! Soft but chewy and filled with the sweet flavors of chocolate, peanut butter, and butterscotch — paired with the classic crunch of Rice Krispies — this delicious, crowd-pleasing chocolate-peanut butter dessert bar requires minimal ingredients and takes less than 15 minutes to make.
What is a Scotcheroo?
Hold the Rice Krispies and step away from the marshmallow. Yes, I know we usually think Rice Krispy cereal must mean Rice Krispy treats, but I am here to tell you that there is an even better, more flavorful option. You know them, you love them, you just may have forgotten what they are called: The melt-in-your-mouth, chocolate-covered scotcheroo bar.
Made with smooth peanut butter and topped with a winning combination of butterscotch morsels and chocolate chips, this easy scotcheroo recipe takes less than 20 minutes to make. These mouthwatering no-bake dessert bars are less crunchy than traditional Rice Krispy treats, but still have the soft Rice Krispy pops that you love. With a base made from sugar, corn syrup, peanut butter, and rice crisps, these bars are sure to be the star of your next birthday party, after-dinner dessert, or weekend treat.
- Rice Krispies – The ultimate snack cereal, these light, little krispies give your scotcheroos just the right amount of crunch without distracting from the delicious flavors of chocolate, peanut butter, and butterscotch.
- Peanut Butter – You can’t have a chocolate peanut butter Rice Krispy bar without the peanut butter! It pairs so well with the blended flavors of the butterscotch and chocolate chips, while also helping to hold the bars together.
- Sugar and Light Corn Syrup– These ingredients will be combined to make a delicious, sweet sugar mixture.
- Chocolate and Butterscotch Chips – Yes! You need both! I like to you semi-sweet chocolates, but you can always opt for dark chocolate morsels, as well. Either way, the chocolate-butterscotch combination is the perfect topping to your scotcheroo bars.
How to make Scotcheroos
Step 1: Prep
First, grease a 9×13-inch pan and set aside, then pour 6 cups of Rice Krispies cereal into a large mixing bowl and set that aside as well.
Step 2: Create Sugar Mixture
Add 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of light corn syrup to a medium pot, then bring to a boil. Make sure you stir constantly and be careful not to overcook. You want to boil just until the sugar has dissolved.
Once the sugar has dissolved, remove the sugar and corn syrup mixture from the heat.
Step 3: Combine Ingredients
Stir 1 cup of peanut butter into the sugar and corn syrup mixture. Be sure to mix well! Next, you’ll pour the mixture over the Rice Krispies and stir to fully combine.
When fully combined, pour the Rice Krispies mixture into the greased 9×13-inch pan. Gently press the top down with a spatula to make sure your scotcheroos set nice and evenly.
Step 4: Add Chocolate Mixture
Melt chocolate chips and butterscotch chips together in a small pot or double boiler, stirring constantly on low heat. Pour over pressed Rice Krispies and let set before cutting and serving.
Step 5: Enjoy!
I know you’re going to want to dig in immediately, but it’s important to let the scotcheroos cool and harden completely before cutting into pieces.
Tips for making the best Scotcheroos
- Watch the heat. When it is time to combine your light corn syrup and sugar, it’s important that you DO NOT over-boil. All you want to do is make sure the sugar has the chance to dissolve. If you keep on cooking, then you’ll be on your way to caramelizing the sugar, which is tasty but not quite what we want for this scotcheroo recipe.
- Spread evenly. Unless you’re going for a specific shape or really dig the idea of an uneven dessert (no judgment), you want to make sure you spread the scotcheroo mixture in the pan as evenly as possible BEFORE adding the melted chocolate and butterscotch mixture to the top. Remember, you want the chocolate to sit and harden on top of the sugar and Rice Krispy mixture. To make sure each bar has an equal amount of the chocolate mixture, you want as flat a surface as possible. If the Rice Krispy mixture is proving difficult to spread, you can add a tablespoon of coconut oil to the chocolate-butterscotch mixture to help it spread easier.
- Stick them in the freezer. If you want to eat your scotcheroos ASAP (which, let’s be real, who doesn’t?), you can stick your pan in the freezer to help the crispy chocolate peanut butter bars cool and set more quickly. Also, if you know you won’t be serving these for a few days, you can always make-ahead, freeze, then set out when it’s time to serve.
How to store your Scotcheroos
I would recommend storing your crispy scotcheroo bars in an air-tight container. If you are stacking your bars to store, I’d also recommend that you separate each row with parchment paper to prevent them from getting stuck together.
Can Scotcheroos be made in advance?
Scotcheroos are the perfect treat or dessert to make in advance. You can set them in the fridge or freezer to help them harden more quickly after cooking, and then as long as they’re kept in an air-tight container, they’ll last in the fridge for at least a week or in the freezer for a few months — if they last that long!
Here are more delicious snack and dessert recipes to try!
- Sugar Cookie Bars
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Energy Bites
- 7-Layer Magic Cookie Bars
- No-Bake Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Balls
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 cup Peanut butter
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Light corn syrup
- 12 oz Chocolate chips
- 12 oz Butterscotch chips
- Grease a 9x13-inch pan and set aside.
- Pour Rice Krispies into a large bowl and set aside.
- Bring sugar and corn syrup to a boil in a medium pot, stirring constantly. Do not over cook -- just boil until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the peanut butter until mixed well.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture over the Rice Krispies and mix well.
- Pour into the greased 9x13-inch pan and gently press down with a spatula.
- Melt chocolate chips and butterscotch chips together in a small pot or double boiler, stirring constantly on low heat. Pour over pressed Rice Krispies and let set before cutting and serving.
- Do not over boil the sugar mixture. Just cook until it is dissolved and starts to boil.
- You can add a tablespoon of coconut oil to the chocolate/butterscotch mixture to help it spread easier.
- Let this cool/harden completely before cutting.