One of our favorite meals to make on the weekend together as a family is Homemade Waffles! We love pulling out the waffle iron and making them fresh while a pan of bacon is sizzling on the stove. Delicious!
In the past, we’ve used Bisquick for our waffles. It has a great flavor and always turns out good. But, recently I’ve been trying to steer away from processed foods for my family and have been making more convenient foods by scratch. Since there’s a ton of waffle recipes out there that are easy to make with ingredients you already have on hand – I’ve been experimenting and trying to come up with a favorite recipe.
This is by far my favorite recipe! It’s soft on the inside and nice and crispy on the outside. You can either use a regular waffle iron or a Belgium one. Either way, they’re gonna be great and you’ve left out all the preservatives and unnecessary ingredients.
If you have leftovers, freeze them and just pull them out as needed. You can warm them in the oven, microwave or even the toaster!
- 2 cups all-purpose white OR whole wheat flour
- 1¾ cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick of melted butter
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat your waffle iron and spray with cooking spray or rub a little melted butter on.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients - flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Beat the eggs with a mixer until light and fluffy and pale in color.
- Add the vanilla.
- Mix in the dry ingredients, butter and milk - blending until just smooth.
- Let mixture sit for about 5 minutes before adding to the waffle iron.
- Pour onto hot iron and cook until golden brown.
- Serve topped with pure maple syrup and butter or your favorite fruit and whipped cream.