This homemade Cinnamon Roll French Toast Casserole is easy to make and tastes amazing! Made with just 7 simple ingredients, there’s no other way that you should start the day than by whipping up this delicious casserole recipe!
Perfect for a weekend brunch or a lazy Saturday at home. Fill your plate, kick up your feet, and dive in! The sugar glaze on top is perfection in every bite. It’s like cinnamon rolls in French toast form!
Pin this recipe now to save it for laterPin Recipe
Maple Syrup, Cinnamon, and Butter – The Perfect Cinnamon Roll Casserole Recipe
I can’t tell you how much I love this recipe for French Toast Bake. It’s one of those that I tell myself to stop eating… but I literally just can’t. These French Toast Cinnamon Rolls make me actually WANT to wake up and get out of bed in the mornings, and that’s something that very few things have the ability to do.
I love this homemade casserole recipe, because every bite is loaded with that wonderful cinnamon flavor. And when you get that hint of maple syrup coming through, you’re going to be hooked. It’s perfect for a Christmas morning breakfast!
Make certain that you check out this Tasty video, where it shows you how to make this simple breakfast casserole. You can easily see for yourself why it’s one of my favorite lazy day cinnamon roll casserole recipes.
Don’t forget to branch out and try our Cinnamon Roll Cake, Brioche French Toast Casserole, Blueberry French Toast Casserole, Cinnamon Sugar Breakfast Muffins and our Fruit Salsa with Baked Cinnamon Chips as well because when it comes to cinnamon, you can never have enough!
Easy Cinnamon Roll French Toast Casserole
This homemade Cinnamon Roll Casserole is easy to make and tastes amazing! Once you get that first taste, these will be a family favorite breakfast for sure!
I love that I don’t have to wait overnight for this truly delicious dish!
How To Make French Toast Casserole
I followed the recipe exactly like in the video so that I would get the same results. I thought that maybe 2 teaspoons of cinnamon would be a little much – but I went ahead and added it so that I could judge the recipe based on how it was posted. I’m glad I did because it was just right!
What Goes in this Cinnamon Casserole recipe?
This recipe is so simple and you’re going to find out why I love it once you see the easy ingredient list.
Cinnamon Roll Breakfast Casserole Ingredients
- Refrigerated Cinnamon Rolls – I told you this recipe was simple!
- Butter – the butter helps the dough to be soft and moist
- Large Eggs
- Milk – whole milk will help add a richer flavor
- Cinnamon – more cinnamon!
- Maple Syrup – A drizzle of real maple syrup will enhance the flavor and is a great natural sweetener as well
I used regular Pillsbury Cinnamon roll dough, whole milk, and real vanilla extract. Plus I used REAL maple syrup The recipe didn’t specify REAL maple syrup but did say maple syrup. I am sure you could use regular syrup, but that would change the taste for sure!
I baked this recipe in a glass dish so that I could see the bottom of the dish since everyone complained about it sitting in “liquid” and being soggy PLUS I added 10 minutes to the baking time just to be sure it was cooked throughout and nice and golden brown on top.
YUM! It was perfect! I could see that at the bottom of the dish was some liquid but I knew it wasn’t the egg mixture and looked more like a mixture of syrup and butter. I was right!
The egg mixture soaked into the cinnamon rolls and baked up nicely leaving the bottom to have the syrup-butter mixture in it. I think this is exactly what the recipe creator wanted. If you don’t want this in the bottom, my suggestion is to NOT pour the maple syrup over the top of the rolls before baking it and you could even omit the butter on the bottom and just use a non-stick spray instead.
I really think that the butter alone would give it a nice crispy texture, I would have to try it. BUT, that would change the recipe and make it more of a monkey bread type of recipe.
My family all thought this recipe was awesome! We loved the maple syrup included which made the bottom softer. It reminds me of any other french toast casserole recipe I’ve tried with the crustiness on the top, the soft layer in the middle, and the syrup on the bottom. I’m sure that’s what they were going for.
In the video, you could even see the syrup on the bottom of their casserole piece. And you can see it in the photo below. YUM!
How To Make Cinnamon Roll French Toast Casserole Step by Step
- Prepare: To begin, preheat the oven, and add the butter to the baking dish. This greases the pan and eliminates the need for cooking spray!
- Cut the rolls: Cut the Pillsbury cinnamon rolls into 8 pieces and spread them evenly over the butter in the casserole dish.
- Whisk the wet ingredients: In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla, and pour over the cinnamon rolls. Pour 1 cup of maple syrup over the mixture.
- Bake: Transfer the baking dish to the oven, and bake for 25 minutes or until the top of the casserole starts to turn golden brown.
- Add the icing: Top with the cream cheese icing from the cinnamon rolls. Make sure to get the entire top of the casserole coated with gooey goodness!
French Toast Toppings
Don’t forget to add fun toppings to your breakfast casserole! Some of my favorite topping ideas are:
- walnuts or pecans
- peanut butter
- powdered sugar
- chocolate chips
- whipped cream
Depending on the toppings that you choose, you can easily turn this into a dessert!
Easy Cinnamon Roll Casserole FAQS
If you’re going to use your own bread for a French Toast Casserole a delicious, sturdy bread is preferred. Here are some great choices!
Brioche: Brioche is the most classic choice when it comes to French.
Challah: Very similar to brioche, challah makes a great base French toast.
Pullman Loaf: is tender, but still is a tight-packed bread that is perfect for French toast.
French Bread is a firm-crusted bread that stays sturdy. Unlike brioche, challah, and sandwich bread, a baguette makes a French toast with more of a chewy bite.
Yes, you can freeze French toast casserole after baking. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow the french toast casserole to thaw overnight in the fridge. Remove the plastic wrap, and cover the dish with foil. Reheat in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes or until the casserole is heated through. You can also warm individual portions in the microwave.
A tube of Pillsbury cinnamon rolls comes with enough dough for 8 cinnamon rolls. This recipe calls for 2 tubes of dough, so it’s the equivalent of 16 cinnamon rolls.
Easy Homemade Cinnamon Roll French Toast Casserole
- 9×13 baking dish
- Mixing bowls
- 2 tubes refrigerated cinnamon rolls with icing
- 4 tbsp butter melted
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup maple syrup
- Pour the butter on the bottom of a 9×13 glass baking dish.4 tbsp butter
- Cut each cinnamon roll into 8 pieces, and spread evenly over the butter.2 tubes refrigerated cinnamon rolls with icing
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla, and pour over the cinnamon rolls. Pour 1 cup of maple syrup over the mixture.6 eggs, 1/2 cup milk, 2 teaspoon cinnamon, 2 teaspoon vanilla, 1 cup maple syrup
- Bake at 375°F for 25 min.
- Top with the icing from the cinnamon rolls.