This easy taco dip is going to be the hit of your next party! Combine sour cream and cream cheese with lime juice and taco seasonings, then layer on your favorite taco toppings. Olé!
We love creamy dip recipes, from Chip Dip to Herb Cream Cheese Dip and Creamy Corn Dip, but this taco dip is especially good if you want to combine a rich, creamy dip with your favorite Tex-Mex flavors. If you love 7-Layer Dip, then you’re going to love this easy taco dip recipe too!
The best part is that, just like with tacos, taco dip is easy to customize. You can make it milder or spicier and you can add all your favorite toppings—or leave out ones you’re not a fan of.
Easy Taco Dip Recipe
Let me tell you, if you make this taco dip for a party, it will disappear in no time! It’s the kind of party app that people keep coming back to—they might not even have room for dinner!
I like to serve this taco dip with other Tex-Mex inspired snacks like Black Bean and Corn Salsa and Jalapeño Poppers for a game day get-together, but it’s also great for a potluck that has a variety of dishes and flavors.
(Love Tex-Mex dips? Try my Creamy and Cheesy Refried Bean Dip too!)
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
For the dip:
- Cream cheese – Soften this so it’s easy to stir into the sour cream.
- Sour cream
- Pickled jalapeños – For a milder flavor, you can leave these out or substitute mild canned green chiles.
- Taco seasoning – A store-bought packet or homemade taco seasoning are both fine.
- Garlic powder
- Cayenne pepper – Feel free to adjust according to your taste preferences.
- Salt and black pepper
For the toppings:
- Iceberg lettuce
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend – Cheddar cheese works too, or use pepper jack for a kick!
- Roma tomatoes – You can substitute halved grape tomatoes or quartered cherry tomatoes.
- Onion – For a milder flavor, you can use sliced green onion.
- Black olives
- Tortilla chips
How to Make Taco Dip
1. Make the Base
Stir together all of the dip ingredients in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Add the Toppings
Garnish the cream cheese mixture with all of the topping ingredients and serve with tortilla chips.
How to Store Leftover Taco Dip
You can store this taco dip in the fridge for up to 3 days. The toppings might start to wilt after a day or two, so if you want it to look as fresh as possible, wait to add them until right before serving if you’re making this in advance.
Creamy taco dip is typically made with a combination of cream cheese, sour cream, and taco seasonings. It can include other ingredients like lime juice, jalapeños, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. There are also other taco dip recipes that are made with ground beef or refried beans.
Toppings for taco dip might include shredded lettuce, salsa, cilantro, diced tomatoes, onions, black olives, guacamole, or shredded cheese.
Yes, you can make taco dip ahead of time. In fact, it’s often best to make it a day in advance so the flavors have a chance to meld together. Just be sure to store it in the fridge and add the toppings right before serving.
Yes, you should serve taco dip cold. If you’re making it for an outdoor party, I recommend setting the dip bowl on a larger bowl full of ice to keep it cold for a few hours.
Taco dip is typically served with tortilla chips, but it can also be served with other snacks like pita chips or crackers, or even veggies for dipping.
More Recipes for Taco Lovers
- How To Make Walking Tacos
- Taco Casserole
- Taco Soup Recipe
- 4-Ingredient Crock Pot Chicken Tacos
- Taco Ring
- 16 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 ½ cups sour cream
- ¼ cup pickled jalapeños chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce shredded
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- ½ cup Roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- ½ medium onion diced
- ¼ cup black olives sliced
- tortilla chips
- In a large bowl, stir together all of the dip ingredients until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish the top of the dip with all of the topping ingredients. Serve with tortilla chips.