Chip dip is a party staple! Consider this your classic pairing for potato chips—a garlicky, oniony creamy dip flavored with a variety of herbs. Best of all, it’s super easy to make for all those last-minute get-togethers!
I love an over-the-top appetizer as much as the next person, whether it’s a piping hot dip like Creamy Corn Dip or Crab Rangoon Dip, or finger foods like Jalapeño Poppers. There’s something to be said for classic party snacks, though. The veggie tray with dill dip, cheese and crackers, and, of course, potato chips and chip dip.
Grab those ruffled potato chips and get ready for the best chip dip recipe you’ll ever have—because it’s homemade instead of coming from a plastic tub!
Easy Chip Dip Recipe
Even calling this chip dip recipe easy feels like an understatement. It’s practically effortless! All you need to do is combine everything in a mixing bowl and give it a good stir.
The creaminess comes from sour cream and mayo, and the flavor is from a blend of herbs and spices. I like to use garlic powder and onion powder for lots of savory flavor, which is the perfect balance to all the dried herbs.
This chip dip recipe is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re hosting a football party, game night, or holiday gathering, your guests will love this classic snack. It’s also great for potlucks and picnics. Just make sure to keep it chilled until you’re ready to serve!
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Sour cream – Full-fat sour cream will give you the creamiest dip.
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Dried dill – For any of these herbs, fresh can be substituted if you have them on hand, but you’ll need to use more to get the same amount of flavor, as dried herbs are concentrated.
- Dried parsley
- Dried chives
- Salt & pepper
How to Make Chip Dip
1. Combine the Ingredients
Place all of the ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir to combine.
Once the dip is smooth, give it a taste. Add more salt and pepper if needed.
What to Serve With Sour Cream Chip Dip
I like to keep things simple when it comes to chip dip. All you really need is a bag of potato chips, but there are a few other things that go well with this recipe.
- Veggies – A veggie tray is the perfect way to balance out the richness of the dip. Cut up some carrots, celery, and peppers to dip in the chip dip.
- Breadsticks – Another classic pairing! Breadsticks are the perfect size for dipping, and they have a nice crispy texture that goes well with the creamy dip.
- Crackers – Crackers are always a good option for dipping. Choose a thin, crispy variety like Wheat Thins.
- Tortilla chips – Yep, you can even serve tortilla chips with this dip! They’re nice and thick, which means they work well with creamy dips.
- Pretzels – You can use crispy pretzels or soft-baked pretzels!
How to Store Chip Dip
This chip dip recipe can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to a week. I like to make it the night before a party so all the flavors have time to meld together. When you’re ready to serve, just give the dip a stir and transfer it to a serving bowl.
Everyone has their own favorite chip dip recipe, so there are a lot of ways to make it! My version is made by stirring together mayo, sour cream, and a variety of herbs and spices.
You need a dip that won’t break the chips, but that’s creamy enough to cling to them and not drip all over. This chip dip is perfect for potato chips!
The best kind of potato chip for dip is a ruffled potato chip. Ruffled chips have a larger surface area, which makes them ideal for scooping up dip. They also have a nice crunch that pairs well with a creamy dip.
Chip dip can sit out for up to two hours. After that, it should be refrigerated. This will help to keep the dip fresh and prevent it from spoiling. If you’re serving it at a party, you can place the bowl of dip in a larger bowl of ice to keep it chilled.
More Dip Recipes for Parties
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp dried chives
- salt & pepper to taste
- Stir together all the ingredients until smooth. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.