This easy pumpkin chocolate chip muffin recipe takes under 20 minutes to make and it only requires 3 ingredients, if you don’t count the water! Perfect for on-the-go breakfasts and after school snacking, you’ll want to make these pumpkin chocolate chip muffins again and again!
When it comes to fall baking, you’re either Team Pumpkin or Team Apple. Even if you like both, you probably have one that edges out the other. Well, pumpkin fans, you’re in luck—this recipe for pumpkin chocolate chip muffins might just be one of the easiest recipes I’ve ever posted on All Things Mamma!
But before we get to how simple these muffins are to make, let’s talk about how they taste. If you like both pumpkin bread and pumpkin bread with chocolate chips, this recipe is very similar. You get that irresistible pumpkin spice flavor combined with chocolate chips in every bite. I love warming these up in the microwave so the chocolate chips get all gooey and melty—so good!
Easy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe
You all know how I love boxed cake mix hacks; I’ve already made a pumpkin dump cake by combining pumpkin and cake mix, but this time, we’re making muffins by adding chocolate chips to the cake mix and pumpkin.
Using a boxed cake mix saves you the work of having to measure out the flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda, so prep time takes about 5 minutes!
For the full recipe and ingredient amounts- see the recipe card below
- Pumpkin spice cake mix
- Pumpkin puree – Make sure you buy pumpkin puree, not pie mix! The pie mix is pre-sweetened, so it will throw off your recipe.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Milk or water – If you’d like to keep the fat down, go with water. I prefer milk to add extra moisture.
- Cake mix – If you can’t find pumpkin spice cake mix, you can use a spice cake mix or a yellow cake mix instead. If you do use a boxed yellow cake mix, be sure to add in 1 tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice to give it extra flavor.
- Pumpkin – Here are some substitutes for pumpkin puree.
How to Make Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Prepare: Preheat the oven to 325ºF and line two muffin pans with liners (or coat the muffin cups with baking spray).
- Make the batter: Combine the cake mix, pumpkin, and water in a large bowl, then fold in 1 cup of chocolate chips.
- Fill the muffin pan: Divide the batter into the muffin pans using a small cookie scoop, then sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the tops.
- Bake: Bake the Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins for 12 to 14 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool: Let the muffins cool in the muffin pan for 10 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack so they can finish cooling.
Make sure you divide the batter evenly, otherwise the muffins will have different cooking times.
Here are some ideas for switching up this Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffin recipe:
- Add Nuts – Chopped walnuts, pecans, or almonds would all be good!
- Top With Sugar – Sprinkle crunchy Demerara sugar over the tops of the muffins before baking.
- Finish With Frosting – Take your muffins to the next level by adding cream cheese frosting!
This pumpkin chocolate chip muffin recipe is super versatile, so by all means, make it your own!
Store these muffins at room temperature for up to 2 days, or refrigerate them for up to 5 days. They can also be frozen in an airtight container or freezer bag for 2 to 3 months.
The pumpkin in these muffins adds fiber and beta-carotene, which gives these muffins a boost in the nutrition department.
You can eat these muffins as soon as you can do so without burning your tongue! For storage purposes, let your muffins cool completely before transferring them to a container or bag. If they’re closed in a container while they’re still warm, they’ll spoil faster.
More Pumpkin Recipes To Enjoy This Fall
- Easy Pumpkin Cake
- Pumpkin Caramel Poke Cake
- How to Make a Pumpkin Roll
- Pumpkin Bars With Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2-Ingredient Pumpkin Muffins
- Easy Pumpkin Pie From Scratch
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 box pumpkin spice cake mix
- 1 can REAL pumpkin
- 1 ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup milk or water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two regular size muffin pan (18-24 cupcakes) with liners or spray with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix the cake mix, pumpkin and water until well blended.
- Stir in 1 cup of chocolate chips.
- Add to muffin pan with a small cookie scoop and top with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 14-18 minutes or until done.
- Allow to cool in muffin pan for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.