Pumpkin Caramel Poke Cake!! Made from a doctored-up cake mix, filled with jarred caramel sauce, and topped with an easy homemade cream cheese frosting – you’re going to love this easy, moist cake recipe!
This easy pumpkin dessert is perfect for adding pumpkin flavor and taste to every bite! It’s so good the next day, too! If you want one of the best homemade pumpkin cake recipes, this easy cake is the one you’ll love! It’s seriously one of the best recipes with sweet caramel taste and flavor!
Speaking of poke cakes, you’re going to love this Red, White, and Blue Poke Cake as well! Don’t forget my Better Than Anything Cake either!
SEASONAL PUMPKIN CARAMEL POKE CAKE
I’m a sucker for an ooey, gooey poke cake topped with an amazing cream cheese frosting. And this cake takes well, the cake!
This poke cake recipe is one of the easiest cake recipes you’ll try – it comes from a box mix and has jarred caramel sauce! OH yeah! This one’s a goodie! Here’s how to make it!
INGREDIENTS FOR PUMPKIN CARAMEL POKE CAKE
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
FOR THE CAKE
- Yellow cake mix – you can really use any type of cake mix that you want.
- Cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix) – pay attention and get the real canned pumpkin!
- Vegetable oil – coconut oil or avocado oil works as well.
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Jarred caramel topping – Get your flavor brand and use it!
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- Cream cheese – make sure that it’s softened.
- Unsalted butter – softened and unsalted is important!
- Confectioners sugar
- Whole milk – You could use other milk but I prefer whole milk.
- Dash salt
HOW TO MAKE CARAMEL PUMPKIN POKE CAKE
1. PREHEAT THE OVEN
Heat oven to 350°F. Spray the bottom and sides of a 13×9-inch pan with cooking spray.
2. MIX THE INGREDIENTS
First, In a large bowl, beat all of the cake ingredients with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 -minutes, scraping the bowl occasionally. Pour into pan.
3. BAKE THE CAKE
Next, Bake for 28 to 33 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
4. POKE THE CAKE
Then, poke holes into the cake with the handle of a wooden spoon or fork.
5. ADD SAUCE TO THE CAKE
While the cake is still warm, gently spread 1 cup of caramel sauce over the cake. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
6. SPREAD THE FROSTING
Finally, spread the frosting evenly on top once the cake is chilled.
HOW TO MAKE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
1. USE THE MIXER
Place the butter and cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute.
2. ADD SUGAR
Reduce the speed to low, slowly add powdered sugar, and beat until fully incorporated and smooth, about 3 minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape down the paddle and sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
3. MIX IN VANILLA
Add vanilla and salt. Mixing completely.
4. ADD IN MILK
Add the milk one tablespoon at a time until it’s a smooth consistency. Turn the mixer to high and beat until light and fluffy.
I mean, how easy can it get?! The hardest part is cleaning up your mixer and two bowls after you make the cake and the frosting. It’s really one of the best cake recipes I’ve found.
Here’s my favorite 13×9 pan that I make all of my homestyle cakes in that you have to get! –> FAV Cake Pan
True to its name, you poke holes IN the cake and fill with a delicious filling – caramel, chocolate sauce, jello, and sweetened condensed milk are the most popular fillings.
The best kitchen tool to poke holes in a cake is a wooden spoon. The handle end of a wooden spoon usually is the perfect size to create holes for pouring in your filling.
Yes, most poke cakes need to be refrigerated because they are filled with either jello, sweetened condensed milk, or another perishable filling.
Most cakes can sit out all day and be left unrefrigerated. But this poke cake has a cream cheese frosting and it should be refrigerated after serving.
MORE PUMPKIN DESSERTS TO TRY OUT
Pumpkin Caramel Poke Cake
For the cake:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- ¾ cup canned pumpkin not pumpkin pie mix
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2.25 ounces of Caramel topping
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 package cream cheese – softened
- 1 stick unsalted butter – softened
- 5 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3-4 tablespoons whole milk
- Dash salt
For the cake
- Heat oven to 350°Spray bottom and sides of 13×9-inch pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, beat all of the cake ingredients with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 -minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan.
- Bake 28 to 33 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Poke holes into cake with the handle of a wooden spoon or fork.
- While the cake is still warm, gently spread 1 cup caramel sauce over cake. Refrigerate 2 hours.
- Spread frosting evenly on top once the cake is chilled.
For the frosting
- Place the butter and cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Reduce the speed to low, slowly add powdered sugar, and beat until fully incorporated and smooth, about 3 minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape down the paddle and sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Add vanilla and salt. Mixing completely.
- Add the milk one tablespoon at a time until it’s a smooth consistency. Turn mixer to high and beat until light and fluffy.
I may have misread it but where do you had in the pumpkin ? I plan to make this this weekend
HI there! It goes right in with the cake mix.
I will make the poke cake for Labor Day! Sounds great !
Pumpkin & Carmel with cream cheese frosting!!!