If you’ve never made pumpkin pie from scratch before, this recipe is the one to try! It’s easy, delicious, and far better than store-bought pies.
You know Thanksgiving is right around the corner when your kitchen is filled with the aroma of pumpkin pie baking up in the oven. While I have a no-bake pumpkin pie recipe here on All Things Mamma, I know some people prefer a more traditional dessert, and if that’s what you’re looking for, you’ll love this classic pumpkin pie. Vanilla and pumpkin pie spice add that signature flavor, while heavy cream makes the filling creamy, rich, and totally irresistible.
I recommend serving your homemade pumpkin pie with a dollop of whipped cream, although if you really want to fancy things up, garnishing with candied pecans will take your pie to the next level. Serve this pie alongside an old-fashioned apple pie and pecan pie bars for a Thanksgiving dessert trifecta!
Easy Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Now, when you’re making pie from scratch, that usually means making your own pie dough. You can do that if you’re feeling ambitious, but if not, you can definitely use a store-bought pie dough instead.
A refrigerated dough works just fine, although I’ve also tried some of the pricier frozen pie doughs, too, and they do taste more like homemade. If you’re making this for Thanksgiving, it might be worth splurging on the frozen dough! (I recommend the Wholly Wholesome brand.)
- Pie dough – You can make your own or buy one already made from the store.
- Pure pumpkin – Make sure you buy pumpkin puree, not pie mix.
- Heavy cream
- Granulated sugar
- Pumpkin pie spice – Here’s how to make pumpkin pie spice.
- Vanilla extract
- Pumpkin – Here are some pumpkin substitutes you can use.
- Heavy cream – You can use whole milk or evaporated milk instead.
- Sugar – You can use 1/2 cup of honey instead of sugar for a more subtle sweetness.
How to Make Pumpkin Pie
- Prepare: Preheat oven to 425ºF and make the pie crust according to the linked recipe or package instructions.
2. Make the filling: Combine the pumpkin, cream, sugar, 2 eggs, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Beat the remaining egg in a small bowl.
3. Assemble the pie: Brush the egg onto the edge of the pie crust, then pour in the filling.
4 . Bake: Place the pie in the oven and bake for 15 minutes; reduce the temperature to 350ºF, then baking for about 40 more minutes, or until the filling is set about 2 inches from the edges, but the center is still a bit jiggly. Cool for 2 hours, then serve or refrigerate.
Don’t over-bake your pie! It’s okay for it to be a little wobbly in the middle because the filling continues to cook after being removed from the oven. If you leave the pie in the oven too long, the top will crack.
- Gluten-free – Use a gluten-free pie crust to make a gluten-free pumpkin pie.
- Dairy-free – Use coconut milk instead of heavy cream and a pie crust made without butter for a dairy-free pie.
The best way to know if your pie is done is to check to see if it’s set near the edges, but still jiggly in the middle. While you can insert a knife into the pie to check for doneness, this leaves a mark in the filling.
Yes, this is a great recipe to make in advance! Make it a day ahead of time, let it cool, then cover it and refrigerate it until it’s time for dessert.
Pumpkin pie should only be left at room temperature for 2 hours. After that, it needs to be refrigerated.
You can double this recipe and freeze one of the pies for Christmas! Bake the pies all the way through, then pop the spare one in the freezer. Let it thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
If you’re looking for more….try these recipes next!
- Pumpkin Cookies
- Glazed Pumpkin Muffins
- No-Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake Cups
- How to Make a Pumpkin Roll
- French Silk Pie
- 1 disk Pie Dough
- 1 15 oz canned pure pumpkin
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Make the pie dough/crust and add to a pie plate – fluting edges.
- To a large bowl add the pumpkin, cream, sugar, 2 eggs, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and salt and whisk together (do not overmix).
- Beat the remaining egg and brush on the crust edge
- Pour the filling into the crust
- Bake in a preheated 425° F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate.