Chicken tater tot casserole is a new spin on an old favorite! Instead of ground beef, we use shredded chicken in this creamy, irresistible casserole.
Pin this recipe now to save it for laterPin Recipe
We love classic tater tot casserole and our tater tot breakfast casserole, but this chicken tater tot casserole is pretty unique! It’s made with chicken instead of ground beef, which means it has all that creamy flavor you love (plus the tater tots!), but it’s not quite as filling.
But don’t get me wrong, this chicken tater tot casserole is still a super comforting, cheesy dish since it’s made from tater tots and shredded chicken smothered in a creamy sauce. Something about that combination of crispy tater tots, rich cream sauce, and tender chicken is just impossible to resist!
Chicken tater tot casserole is the perfect comfort food for family dinners and potlucks alike. It’s always a winner!
Easy Chicken Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
The best part about this chicken tater tot casserole is that you can customize it with your favorite ingredients. Try a different kind of soup, or layer in lots of extra veggies (we love green peppers, onions, mushrooms, steamed broccoli!).
Oh, and I can’t forget to mention, this dish is super easy to make and it can be ready in under an hour! Use leftover chicken from another meal and this chicken tater tot casserole comes together lickety-split.
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Unsalted butter – If you only have salted butter on hand, simply add less salt later in the recipe.
- Onion – White or yellow onion will work here.
- All-purpose flour
- Cream of chicken soup
- Milk – Whole milk will give you the richest, creamiest sauce.
- Shredded cooked chicken – A rotisserie chicken is great for this, or use leftover baked chicken breasts.
- Kosher salt – Kosher salt has larger crystals than table salt, so if you need to use table salt, you’ll have to use less. Start with half the amount, taste, and add more if needed.
- Black pepper
- Cheddar cheese
- Frozen tater tots – You’ll need to thaw these before assembling the casserole.
- Cooking spray
- Substitute sweet potato or cauliflower tots for the tater tots.
- Try another cream soup, like cream of celery or cream of mushroom.
- Stir in some frozen vegetables like corn, peas, or green beans, or add cooked bacon.
How to Make Chicken Tater Tot Casserole
- Prepare: Preheat your oven to 375ºF and coat the inside of a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Cook the vegetables: In a large saucepan set over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the carrot, celery, and onion and cook until they’re translucent and softened, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the flour: Stir the flour into the vegetable mixture and continue to cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Make the casserole mixture: In a large bowl, mix together the vegetables, soup, milk, chicken, salt, and pepper.
- Assemble: Transfer the casserole mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle half of the cheese over the top, then arrange the tater tots over the cheese. Sprinkle the top of the casserole with the remaining cheese.
- Cook: Bake the casserole until it’s heated through and the top is golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes.
It may be necessary to loosely tent the top of the casserole with aluminum foil if you notice the tater tots are getting dark too early. Check on it after 10 to 15 minutes in the oven.
How to Store Leftover Chicken Tater Tot Casserole
Leftover chicken tater tot casserole can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or a 350ºF oven until warmed through. Leftovers can also be frozen for up to 3 months; take out of the freezer and thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Tater tot casserole is sometimes known as potato tot bake, tater tot hotdish or simply hotdish.
This chicken tater tot casserole is packed with flavor, but some casseroles have a tendency to be bland! Fresh herbs will perk up their flavor, or try adding some shredded parmesan in addition to any other shredded cheeses called for in the recipe.
Yes, tater tot casserole is a classic midwestern dish. It’s often served as a main course for family dinners and potlucks in the region.
Casseroles are usually served as a main dish. They’re often filled with protein and vegetables like this chicken tater tot casserole, making them a complete meal on their own.
Chicken Tater Tot Casserole
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 carrot diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 onion diced
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 cans 10.5 oz cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup milk
- 3 to 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 package 32 oz frozen tater tots, thawed
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat an oven to 375 F. Coat the inside of a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium high heat. Add the carrot, celery and onion. Saute until translucent and cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir the flour into the vegetables and continue to cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, mix together the vegetables, soup, milk, chicken, salt and pepper. Add to the oiled baking dish.
- Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese over the top. Arrange the tater tots over the top as evenly as possible. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake until heated throughout and the top is golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. The filling should bubble around the edges of the dish. It may be necessary to cover the top with aluminum foil for a portion of the baking time if the top is getting too brown.