1- Hour Dinner Rolls! The best soft and fluffy dinner rolls that are tasty enough for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners yet easy enough to whip up any night of the week. Serve them warm with all your favorite main courses!
Pin this recipe now to save it for laterPin Recipe
These dinner rolls are one of the easiest homemade dinner rolls recipes I’ve ever made. Ready from start to finish in one hour, this soft dinner rolls recipe will melt in your mouth and leave you reaching for seconds and thirds!
Soft Dinner Rolls Recipe
If you’ve been around All Things Mamma at all, you know that I like recipes that are:
- quick + easy
- extremely tasty
And these super-soft dinner rolls fit the bill! While they are homemade, the ingredients are most likely already in your pantry and just require a little mixing and kneading (with a stand mixer if you have one!) and are ready in under an hour. They’re perfect for a cozy dinner at home!
Ingredients for 1-Hour Soft Dinner Rolls
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Water + Milk
- Butter – you can use salted or unsalted butter
- White sugar
- Instant yeast – test it to be sure that the yeast is still active
How To Make the Best 1-Hour Soft Dinner Rolls Recipe
- Prepare: Combine the water, butter, and milk in a bowl. Place the mixture in the microwave or in a saucepan over medium heat. Then, heat until the mixture reaches 95-115F. If it is hotter, allow it to cool slightly before proceeding with the recipe. Otherwise, you might kill the yeast!
- Add ingredients: Stir together 3 1/2 cups of the flour, salt, sugar, and instant yeast in a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer.
- Stir: Add the warm liquid mixture, and knead for 6-8 minutes until a soft ball forms and pulls cleanly away from the sides of the bowl. Add the additional 1 cup flour, as needed
- Rest: Place the dough in a greased bowl cover with plastic wrap and a clean towel for 15 minutes.
- Grease pan: Grease a 9” x 13” casserole dish and set it aside.
- Divide: Punch down the dough and divide it into 12 equal-sized balls of dough.
- Raise: Place the balls of dough in the greased casserole dish and re-cover with plastic wrap and towel for another 15 minutes.
- Preheat & bake: Preheat your oven to 400F. Remove plastic wrap and towel from the casserole dish and place the dish in the oven for 15 minutes, until puffed and golden brown on top. If brushing with butter, brush halfway through baking with 1 Tablespoon of melted butter and then again after baking.
Test and make sure that the yeast is still active before using. Add a little bit of the yeast to warm water. If it activates and foams, it’s good to use with the rest of the recipe! If not, toss it out and opt for a fresh packet.
How to Store Soft Yeast Dinner Rolls
Once the rolls have cooled, store them in an airtight container at room temperature. For the best results, eat within 2 days.
These are the best easy rolls! You can pair them as a side dish with so many different recipes like Roast Turkey, Honey Baked Ham, and even Baked Breaded Pork Chops. Or, save leftovers for breakfast, and enjoy them topped with butter, Strawberry Rhubarb Jam or Strawberry Raspberry Jam!
The easiest way to tell if your yeast is still good is to put a little bit into a bowl of warm water and see if it starts to bubble and foam. If it does, the yeast is active and good to go.
Keep a close eye on the rolls as they bake, and pull them from the oven as soon as they’ve puffed up and the tops start to look golden brown.
Allow the rolls to cool completely. Then, transfer them to a sealable bag or a container with a lid, and keep them in a cool, dry place at room temperature to keep them as fresh as possible.
These Dinner Rolls are a classic no-fail recipe that requires very little effort to make. They’ll be the perfect addition to any meal!
One-Hour Dinner Rolls
- Large bowl
- 9×13 casserole dish
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour as needed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 Tablespoons instant yeast
- Plus additional butter for brushing optional (about 2 Tablespoons)
- Combine the water, butter and milk.1 cup water, 2 Tablespoons butter, 1/2 cup milk
- Place mixture in the microwave or in a saucepan over medium-heat and heat until the mixture reaches 95-115F. If it is hotter, allow it to cool slightly before proceeding with the recipe.
- Stir together 3 1/2 cups of the flour, salt, sugar and instant yeast in a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer.4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1 Tablespoons instant yeast
- Add the warm liquid mixture and knead for 6-8 minutes until a soft ball forms and pulls clean away from the sides of the bowl. Add the additional 1 cup flour, as needed
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap and a clean towel for 15 minutes.
- Grease a 9” x 13” casserole dish and set aside.
- Punch down the dough and divide into 12 equal sized balls of dough.
- Place the balls of dough in the greased casserole dish and re-cover with plastic wrap and towel for another 15 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 400F
- Remove plastic wrap and towel from the casserole dish and place the dish in the oven for 15 minutes, until puffed and golden brown on top.
- If brushing with butter, brush halfway through baking with 1 Tablespoon of melted butter and then again after baking.Plus additional butter for brushing