This Baked Cheesy Chicken with Mushrooms is one of the easiest and most flavorful recipes around! Tender chicken features melty mozzarella cheese and savory mushrooms. Baked to perfection, it’s a savory meal full of tastes and textures that make your tastebuds sing.
Pin this recipe now to save it for laterPin Recipe
This baked chicken recipe achieves tender, flavorful chicken by seasoning and browning it on the stovetop first. Then, it bakes until tender in the oven. Easy to prepare, it may become one of your favorite chicken recipes ever!
If you love this Cheesy Baked Chicken with Mushrooms, don’t miss out on more of our chicken recipes. Slow Cooker Chicken Ranch Sandwiches, Grilled Chicken and Vegetable Pasta, and Chicken Pot Pie with Crescent Rolls are always a hit!
Baked Cheesy Chicken with Mushrooms Recipe
We eat chicken about five days a week in my house. So, I’m always looking for ways to dress it up a bit, and this baked chicken recipe does just that!
The melted cheese, fresh mushrooms, and tender chicken breasts are perfect for any night of the week. Keep reading to learn how simple ingredients can come together for a quick, delicious recipe.
This baked chicken with mushrooms takes only 35 minutes to make. And the whole family is going to love this meal. A true crowd-pleaser, it will become one of your go-to weeknight dinner recipes.
Ingredients for Baked Cheesy Chicken with Mushrooms
See full recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Chicken – I prefer to use boneless skinless chicken breasts, but any cut of chicken will work. Just make sure it’s boneless and skinless, not bone-in.
- Mushrooms – Use fresh mushrooms like baby bella or cremini or canned mushrooms if that’s what you have.
- Onions – I like to use sweet onions for this recipe.
- Butter – Butter makes everything better! I recommend using unsalted butter to avoid overpowering the dish.
- Olive oil
- Mozzarella cheese – For the best results, use a block of cheese, and grate it yourself. Pre-grated varieties contain anti-caking agents that prevent them from melting.
- Chicken broth – You can also use chicken bone broth as well. (Make sure to get it low sodium if possible)
- Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- You can use any variations of cheese that you’d like for this easy baked mushroom chicken recipe. Parmesan cheese, provolone cheese, and even feta will work well for this effortless chicken dish.
- If you’re not a fan of onions you can leave them out and opt for adding in more mushrooms or another veggie to take its place. I have made this recipe with green beans, tomatoes, and even with canned corn mixed in.
- Parsley would be a great topping as would freshly chopped basil.
- If you do not have Italian seasoning, feel free to substitute a homemade blend. Use 1 teaspoon of dried basil, 1 teaspoon of dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream or one can of condensed cream of mushroom soup to make the sauce for the chicken extra thick and creamy.
How To Make Baked Cheesy Chicken with Mushrooms
- Prepare: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit before you begin.
- Season the chicken: Season the chicken breasts evenly with the seasonings.
- Sear the chicken: Heat the butter and oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Then, add the chicken breasts, and sear each side until brown. Transfer the chicken to a 9×13 baking dish.
- Cook the mushrooms: Scrape up the brown bits from the pan. Next, add the mushrooms, onions, and garlic. Simmer until the ingredients are fragrant and tender.
- Layer: Spoon the mushroom mixture over the chicken breasts. Then, add the cheese on top.
- Bake: Transfer the baking dish to the oven. Cook the chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Serve: Slice the chicken into pieces, season with salt and pepper to taste, and enjoy!
To reduce the cook time and ensure your chicken cooks completely without drying out, pound it before you begin. Each piece should be about 1/2 inch in thickness.
How to Store Baked Cheesy Chicken and Mushrooms
Store leftover chicken in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap in the fridge for three to four days.
Freeze leftovers covered tightly with plastic wrap followed by aluminum foil. Or, transfer them to a freezer-safe container. They will stay fresh in the freezer for up to two months. Thaw in the fridge overnight when you’re ready to serve.
Reheat your baked chicken with mushrooms in the microwave. Or, pop the casserole dish back in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Heat for five to ten minutes or until the chicken warms through.
Use a meat thermometer to test the internal temperature of the cheesy chicken. It should be at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
This dish pairs well with a variety of side dishes! Try serving it over pasta, rice, quinoa, or mashed potatoes. Or, for a low-carb option, pair your chicken with cauliflower rice.
Then, add veggies like roasted Brussels sprouts, roasted asparagus, Instant Pot green beans, or roasted squash. You’ll have a complete, well-rounded meal full of flavor and nutrients!
Chicken is best when baked at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Pound the pieces out into thin, even-sized strips to ensure they bake at the same time.
Yes, for the best results, use boneless skinless chicken thighs. Then, adjust the baking time as needed until the thighs reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Baked Cheesy Chicken with Mushrooms
- 9×13 baking dish
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced small
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Season the chicken breasts and evenly salt & pepper and Italian seasoning. (make sure your chicken breasts are thinner- pounding to 1/2 inch thickness if needed)1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced, salt & pepper to taste, 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add the butter & olive oil.2 Tablespoons butter, 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Next, add the chicken breast to the pan and brown each side of the chicken and place in 9×13 inch baking dish. (You won’t be cooking the chicken all the way through. Just browning the outside)
- To the hot skillet, add the chicken broth and scrape all the bit off the bottom of the pan as it simmers.1/2 cup chicken broth
- Add the mushrooms, onions & garlic to the pan and simmer until tender.8 ounces mushrooms, 1 small onion, thinly sliced, 2 cloves garlic, diced small
- Add the mushroom mixture over the top of the chicken.
- Then, add the cheese to the top of the chicken and mushrooms.1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Bake for 15-20 mins uncovered until the chicken is cooked through. (Use a meat thermometer to check that the internal temperature of the cooked chicken is 165F.)