This Baked Cheesy Chicken with Mushrooms is one of the easiest and most flavorful recipes around! By seasoning and browning the chicken on the stovetop before you place the chicken in the oven, you’re able to get the best flavored baked chicken breasts ever! You’re going to love this baked chicken and mushroom recipe!
If you love an easy weeknight dinner recipe like our Fettuccini Carbonara, Slow Cooker Chicken Ranch Sandwiches, or Grilled Chicken and Vegetable Pasta – you’ll love this Baked Cheesy Chicken with Mushrooms recipe!
Baked Cheesy Chicken with Mushrooms
We eat chicken around 5 out of 7 nights a week in our household so I’m always looking to dress it up a bit and this baked chicken recipe does just that!
Simple ingredients, that you most likely have on hand, come together to create the easiest and most delicious chicken breast recipe you’ve ever made!
If you have around 35 minutes for a delicious homecooked meal, this easy dinner chicken recipe is for you! This is one of my favorite ways to make baked cheesy chicken breasts.
How to Make Baked Creamy Cheesy Chicken
- chicken – any cut of chicken will work, just make sure it’s boneless and not bone-in (I really like using boneless skinless chicken breasts)
- mushrooms – canned mushrooms work great!
- onions – I like to use sweet onions for this recipe.
- butter – butter makes everything better!
- olive oil
- mozzarella cheese – more cheese, please!
- chicken broth – You can also use chicken bone broth as well. (make sure to get it low sodium if possible)
- Italian seasoning
- salt & pepper
- Cheese – You can use any variations of cheese that you’d like for this easy baked cheesy chicken.
- Onions – If you’re not a fan of onions you can leave them out and opt for adding in more mushrooms or another veggie to take its place.
- Parsley – This would be a great topping.
How To Make Cheesy Smothered Mushroom Chicken
2. Season the chicken
3. Cook the chicken breast
5. Add mushrooms
6. Add cheese
Then, add the cheese to the top of the chicken and mushrooms.
Mushroom Chicken Recipe FAQ
How do you know the chicken is done cooking?
Use a meat thermometer to test the internal temperature of the cheesy chicken. It should be at least 165 degrees to be safe and ready to eat.
What Goes with Baked Chicken and Mushrooms?
I like to serve this dish with a grain and a vegetable. Here are some of my favorite side dishes to serve with chicken!
- quinoa blends
- green beans
- brown rice
- brussels sprouts
- Mashed potatoes
- Cauliflower rice
The flavors of these veggies pair so perfectly. If you’re trying to eat fewer carbohydrates, eat more veggies instead! Low carb side dishes pair well with this creamy chicken recipe.
At what temperature should chicken be cooked?
Chicken should be cooked to 165 degrees F. Use a meat thermometer – that you place into the thickest part of the chicken – to get the correct temperature reading. If you’re cooking and using chicken thighs, check the temperature away from any bones.
While there aren’t many ingredients to this chicken dish, you’ll love how fancy it looks AND tastes! Enjoy!!
There you have it! An amazing Baked Chicken Breast recipe that is perfect for any night of the week – even weeknights! This is great to add in some extra protein and have an awesome mushroom sauce and flavor!
For more chicken recipes, try these next!
Baked Cheesy Chicken with Mushrooms
- 1 lb chicken – thinly sliced
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 1 small onion – thinly sliced
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbs Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic – diced small
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Season the chicken breasts and evenly salt & pepper and Italian seasoning. (make sure your chicken breasts are thinner- pounding to 1/2 inch thickness if needed)
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add the butter & olive oil.
- Next, add the chicken breast to the pan and brown each side of the chicken and place in 9×13 inch baking dish. (You won’t be cooking the chicken all the way through. Just browning the outside)
- To the hot skillet, add the chicken broth and scrape all the bit off the bottom of the pan as it simmers.
- Add the mushrooms, onions & garlic to the pan and simmer until tender.
- Add the mushroom mixture over the top of the chicken.
- Then, add the cheese to the top of the chicken and mushrooms.
- Bake for 15-20 mins uncovered until the chicken is cooked through. (Use a meat thermometer to check that the internal temperature of the cooked chicken is 165F.)