Your whole family is going to love this slow cooker crack chicken! The chicken is tender, the sauce is creamy, and the flavors of ranch seasoning, bacon, and cheese make it absolutely irresistible.
Pin this recipe now to save it for laterPin Recipe
Crack dip is one of my favorite appetizers for a party, but if you want to take that recipe and transform it into a weeknight dinner you can have anytime the craving strikes, then you’re going to love this slow cooker crack chicken. It’s loaded with deliciousness.
And, of course, it’s made in the slow cooker, which means all you have to do is spend a few minutes prepping the ingredients, throw everything into the crockpot, and dinner will take care of itself. Total win!
Creamy Slow Cooker Crack Chicken Recipe
This crack chicken dish is so flavorful thanks to cream cheese, bacon, ranch seasoning mix, and cheddar cheese—it’s practically impossible not to go for seconds (maybe even thirds?). You might even say this slow cooker crack chicken is addictive!
We love to eat the creamy shredded chicken on burger buns to make a sandwich, but you can serve it up any way you like. Eat it with a spoon right out of the slow cooker? Hey, why not! I won’t judge.
Although I usually make this recipe as a weeknight dinner, it would also be great for a potluck or game day get-together. Just swap the hamburger buns for slider rolls and you’ve got yourself a crowd-pleasing appetizer.
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Crack Chicken
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Skinless boneless chicken breasts – You can also use skinless chicken thighs.
- Ranch seasoning mix
- Smoked paprika – This adds a subtle smoky flavor that’s hard to beat!
- Chicken stock
- Cream cheese – Let this soften a bit so it’s easy to mix in.
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Cooked bacon – If you don’t have time to cook the bacon, you can always use store-bought bacon bits or precooked bacon.
- Green onion – For a milder flavor, substitute chives.
- Burger buns
- Want to up the veggie factor? Stir frozen peas into your slow cooker crack chicken.
- Make it spicy by adding your favorite hot sauce or cayenne pepper.
- Sliced jalapeños or Hatch chiles will add a bit of a Tex-Mex twist to the recipe.
How to Make Slow Cooker Crack Chicken
- Assemble: Coat the inside of the crock pot with nonstick spray. Arrange the chicken along the bottom and sprinkle it with the ranch dressing mix and paprika. Pour the chicken stock over the top.
- Cook: Cook on low for 4 to 5 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Finish: Shred the chicken with a fork, then add the cream cheese. Stir until it melts into the chicken mixture, then stir in the shredded cheese, bacon, and green onions.
- Serve: Spoon the slow cooker crack chicken onto hamburger buns, then serve.
Using a meat thermometer is the best way to know when the chicken is ready. The internal temperature will read 165ºF.
This slow cooker crack chicken can be served on buns, spooned over baked potatoes or tortilla chips, tossed with egg noodles, or you can get creative and fold them into tortillas for crack chicken tacos! Serve it with a simple side like steamed green beans, roasted broccoli, or air fryer French fries.
How to Store Slow Cooker Crack Chicken
Leftover slow cooker crack chicken can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It also freezes well for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw overnight and warm it up either in the microwave or in a skillet set over low heat.
Yes, it is safe to put raw chicken straight into the slow cooker. The low and slow cooking method used in this recipe will ensure the chicken is cooked safely and thoroughly.
Yes, slow cooker chicken needs liquid to prevent it from drying out. For this recipe, you can use either chicken stock or chicken broth.
The chicken doesn’t need to be completely covered, but there should be liquid in the slow cooker to keep it moist.
The powder on this crack chicken recipe is a combination of ranch seasoning mix and smoked paprika. The ranch seasoning adds a zesty flavor while the smoked paprika gives it a smoky finish.
Slow Cooker Crack Chicken
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 ½ to 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts (can also use thighs)
- 1 ounce packet Ranch seasoning mix
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup cooked bacon crumbled
- ¼ cup green onion chopped
- Burger buns
- Coat the inside of the slow cooker with nonstick spray. Arrange the chicken along the bottom, then sprinkle with the Ranch seasoning and paprika. Pour the chicken stock over the top. Cook on low for 4 to 5 hours until the chicken is cooked through. If using a meat thermometer, the internal temperature will read 165 F.
- Shred the chicken with a fork, then add the cream cheese. Stir until melted.
- Add the shredded cheese, bacon and green onions. Mix together until combined. Serve on buns.