This spicy chicken chipotle pasta is made with tons of veggies and a creamy chipotle cheese sauce for an easy weeknight dinner that’s decadent and completely irresistible.
Pin this recipe now to save it for laterPin Recipe
Spicy chicken chipotle pasta is one of my favorite weeknight meals for many reasons. First, it is a complete meal in a bowl. There are vegetables, protein, and hearty pasta all packed into one perfect dish. The rich, zesty sauce coats everything in the bowl, adding tons of bold flavor in every single bite.
Lastly, this chipotle pasta is surprisingly easy to make. It looks and tastes as good as anything you would get in a restaurant, but takes less than thirty minutes from start to finish. Dinner recipes don’t get any better than that!
Easy Spicy Chicken Chipotle Pasta Recipe
My chicken pasta with chipotle sauce starts with butter-sauteed vegetables. I use fresh, sliced bell peppers, onion, and asparagus to make the perfect mix of color and flavor. Once the veggies are cooked, I use the same seasoned pan to cook the chicken breast.
Tabasco brand chipotle sauce is my go-to for this recipe. It has a smokey, spicy flavor that is really amazing. I do add some sweet honey and salty parmesan cheese to increase the flavor of the sauce even more.
Between healthy vegetables, tender chicken, and spicy, creamy sauce, this meal really does have it all. Spicy chicken chipotle pasta is a great dish to add to your weekly routine. It will definitely liven up your dinner time!
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Penne pasta – Any type of short pasta noodles will work well. I have used rotini, elbows, and mini shells to make this chipotle pasta recipe.
- Bell peppers – I use red and orange bell peppers, which add a nice, bright color to the pasta. Red and orange peppers are sweeter than green peppers and not too spicy. This balances the flavor of the dish well.
- Asparagus – Fresh asparagus gives the pasta a bold, earthy flavor.
- Chicken breast – Boneless, skinless chicken breast is best. Cut the chicken breast into pieces one inch or smaller, making them bite-sized and perfect to pop in your mouth along with a few noodles.
- Honey – Natural honey is what makes the sauce sweet to go with the spice. It might be an unexpected ingredient, but it really brings balance to the recipe.
- Tabasco chipotle sauce – Tabasco chipotle sauce has some serious smokey heat. Any brand of chipotle sauce will work in this recipe though, so use your favorite!
- Heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese – Use freshly grated parmesan cheese, which will melt beautifully into the sauce.
- Chopped cilantro
- Replace the heavy cream with whole milk to cut back on calories. The sauce will still be creamy and delicious when made with milk versus cream.
- Skip the honey to make a less sweet, purely spicy sauce.
- Use a mix of cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese.
- Use olive oil in place of butter to sauté the veggies and chicken.
How to Make Spicy Chicken Chipotle Pasta
- Boil the pasta: Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box. Once the pasta is cooked, strain it and toss it with a little olive oil to prevent the noodles from sticking. Set the pasta aside.
- Cook the veggies: Sauté the peppers, asparagus, and onions in a large skillet, cooking them until they are soft. Once the vegetables are cooked, remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Sauté the chicken: Add the chicken to the pan that the veggies were cooked in. Cooking in the same pan will add flavor to the chicken as it cooks. Sauté the chicken for 10 minutes, or until it is evenly browned and no longer pink in the center.
- Make the sauce: Make the chipotle cream sauce by adding some honey to the pan with the chicken. Add the veggies back to the skillet, then stir in the chipotle sauce, heavy cream, and parmesan. Mix everything well and bring the sauce to a boil.
- Add the pasta: Toss the cooked pasta into the skillet of veggies, chicken, and sauce. Mix everything together well, then divide between bowls and enjoy!
Divide the cooked pasta dishes into meal prep containers. Store them in the fridge for easy grab-and-go lunch options. This is a great way to make a full week’s worth of meals in advance. The pasta reheats beautifully thanks to the thick sauce, so it will taste as good as the day it was made!
How to Store Spicy Chicken Chipotle Pasta
If you have leftover spicy chicken pasta, you can store it in an airtight container. It will keep in the fridge for 4-5 days. Reheat the chipotle chicken pasta in the microwave, heating it in 30-second increments until it is hot.
What to Serve With Creamy Chipotle Chicken Pasta
This chicken pasta recipe is a complete meal in one bowl. However, it goes really well with easy homemade biscuits and French bread for soaking up the extra sauce. Serve some 7-layer dip and chips before dinner as a great appetizer. A coconut tres leches cake is a great way to end your spicy pasta meal.
Chipotle peppers are very hot and spicy. That means this chicken pasta recipe is pretty spicy, too. Chipotles do have a subtle sweetness and a smokey taste as well. It is definitely a flavorful pepper.
This chicken chipotle pasta recipe has lots of nutritious veggies in each serving. However, it does have a lot of cheese and heavy cream, which add calories. While this dish isn’t necessarily the healthiest pasta recipe, it is worth every calorie!
Ancho chilies are a good substitute for chipotle peppers. They have a smokey taste just like chipotle peppers, but with a little less heat. If you can find an adobo hot sauce, it would be perfect in this spicy chicken pasta recipe.
Spicy Chicken Chipotle Pasta
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1 pound asparagus, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons Tabasco chipotle sauce
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook your pasta one minute less than the package directions. You want it to be a little firm. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- Add the butter to a large skillet and melt over medium-high heat.
- Add the sliced peppers, chopped asparagus, and onions to the skillet and cook for about 8 minutes to soften the veggies. Be sure to stir the mix occasionally so the veggies cook evenly.
- Add the garlic to the skillet and cook for another minute.
- Remove the veggies from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the chopped chicken to the pan that the veggies were cooked in and sprinkle it with the salt and pepper. Cook the chicken for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to cook all sides of the chicken. You want the outside of the chicken pieces to be nice and brown.
- Add the honey to the skillet and stir it into the chicken. Add the cooked veggies back to the skillet and mix.
- Stir in the chipotle sauce, heavy cream, and parmesan. Bring the sauce to a simmer and then cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the pasta to the skillet and toss it in the sauce and veggies. Cook the mix for another 1-2 minutes then divide between bowls. Sprinkle each bowl with some chopped cilantro and then enjoy!