This comforting Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole recipe is filled with eggs, sausage, bacon, cheese, and of course Tater Tots! This breakfast casserole recipe will be a welcome addition to your mornings!
What if there was a way to make sure at least everyone’s bellies were filled with something protein-packed and nutritious without waking up at dawn? This Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is just the ticket.
You can’t go wrong with a cheesy potato dish like this!
Cheesy, Eggy Casserole for Breakfast
With make-ahead options galore, breakfast casseroles have been staples of brunch and morning potlucks for ages. Bring those delectable flavors every day and bring a smile to everyone’s faces. And let’s not forget, the smell of bacon and sausage in the morning!
When you think of brunch, what are the staples? I think of eggs, potatoes, meat, and cheese. If we’re talking omelets, I’d throw in some bell peppers, too. Incredibly, my Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole has ALL OF THESE plus two different types of meat. Drooling, yet? I am!
This particular recipe uses two different kinds of cheese. It calls for cheddar, but the second one can be catered to your preferences. So have fun and switch up the cheeses to change the flavors around!
Probably the best part is that this entire casserole recipe is that it can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until you’re ready to cook it, making it easy to be the hero of every morning!
How to Make Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Ingredients (full recipe below)
- breakfast sausage – this is one of my favorite proteins to cook with!
- bacon – is another excellent protein choice and goes great in this casserole.
- tator tots – you can’t make this meal without a bag of frozen tater tots.
- peppers – I love that you get some fresh veggies in this meal too, thanks to the peppers!
- cheddar cheese – a good recipe always needs to have cheese in it. YUM!
- Preheat the oven and spray your tater tot casserole dish.
- If you haven’t already cooked the meats and peppers, this step is next. One awesome thing is that you use the same pan to cook the sausage, bacon, and peppers! Less clean-up is always a bonus.
- After the meat and peppers are ready, it’s quick work to whisk the eggs, milk, cheeses, and seasonings.
- Stir the peppers, bacon, and sausage into the egg mixture, pour it into the pan, top with the tater tots, and bake!
- You can also reserve some of the cheese to toss on top when it’s done and back it for an additional 3-4 minutes for some extra bubbly cheese on top.
Tips for an Easier Morning Breakfast
To make ahead, get everything in the dish, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and store it in the refrigerator overnight. Be sure to set the casserole out for 20-30 minutes before baking in the morning.
If you don’t prefer making it all ahead, you can dice and cook the peppers, cook the meats, and chop the bacon so you just have to toss everything together.
Leftovers should be stored in the refrigerator for up to five days. Freezing the leftover casserole is another option. The baked casserole can be frozen for up to two months.
Depending on your needs, freeze it in individual portions or as a whole. Just remember to thaw it overnight in the fridge! Then just bake it at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until heated through.
Variations To Change Up This Casserole Recipe
Now that you’ve made this casserole once, you may be wondering what kind of variations you can make to it.
- Try changing up the cheese a little. If your family prefers spicy, go for pepper jack cheese. You can also sprinkle with a little hot sauce.
- Try different veggies. If you don’t like using the same veggies each time, switch it up.
- Add a sauce on top. Sometimes you can really spruce up a recipe by adding a sauce on top of it. I add sour cream to everything.
- Eat it for lunch or dinner. While this tater tot casserole is awesome for breakfast, you can also enjoy it for lunch or dinner just as easily.
I hope you enjoy making this easy breakfast recipe just as much as we do. Leave a comment below if you enjoyed it!
More Great Breakfast Ideas:
- Easy Baked French Toast Casserole
- Easy Homemade Waffle Recipe
- Cinnamon Roll Casserole
- Overnight Breakfast Casserole
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- ½ pound about 5 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for cooking peppers
- 1 cup red bell pepper cleaned and finely diced
- 1 cup green bell pepper cleaned and finely diced
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese reserve ½ cup ** see notes
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese or your favorite
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon season salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bag 32 oz frozen tater tots
- Green Onions or chives for garnish if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Spray a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray
- In a heavy skillet on stove top, cook sausage, drain and set aside
- Cook bacon, remove from pan and set on cutting board
- Drain pan and wipe clean
- Add oil to pan and heat
- Cook peppers until soft, remove from pan and drain if necessary
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs
- Add milk, 1 ½ cups cheddar and swiss cheeses, and seasonings, whisk until well combined
- Stir in peppers, sausage and bacon
- Pour into prepared 13x9 baking dish
- Top with Tater Tots
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until bubbly and eggs are set
- Remove from oven and add additional cheese, if desired
- Return to baking for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly
- Remove from oven to wire rack, let set 5-10 minutes before serving
You can also cook the sausage, bacon and peppers ahead of time to make assembly go faster.