This cheesy breakfast potato casserole will make your morning super easy. It is a filling, flavorful, and fast one-dish meal that the whole family will enjoy.
Pin this recipe now to save it for laterPin Recipe
Breakfast casseroles are some of the most popular recipes on All Things Mamma. You love Amish Breakfast Casserole and Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole; Bisquick Breakfast Casserole With Bacon and Cheesy Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole With Bread.
I love breakfast casserole recipes too because they are simple to make but also big enough to feed my whole family. I don’t always have time to make five different meals! If I can make one, bigger dish that will please everyone in the house, that is definitely what I am going to choose to make! And that’s why I love this Cheesy Breakfast Potato Casserole.
Cheesy Breakfast Potato Casserole Recipe
This cheesy breakfast casserole recipe is one of my favorite go-to breakfasts and I have been making it quite often. The whole recipe only takes about 10 minutes to put together and then it bakes in the oven for about 40 more minutes. That baking time is completely hands-off so, while the casserole bakes, I like to go get dressed, have a cup of coffee, and mentally prepare for my day. Moms need a little time in the morning to get ready for all the busy but exciting chaos of everyday life!
Besides being quick to make, my cheesy breakfast potato casserole is actually super filling. It is made with frozen shredded potatoes, which you can find in any grocery store freezer. The hash brown potatoes make the casserole dense and hearty in a very good way. The onions and green pepper add a lot of interesting flavors, while the cheese holds everything together.
If you are one of those people who can’t have breakfast without eggs, don’t worry! There are plenty of protein-packed eggs in this casserole, making it a true breakfast dish. You can see how this cheesy potato casserole really does have it all. Potatoes, veggies, eggs, and cheese all in one super simple dish. Does it sound like a breakfast you want to try? I hope so!
(If you love this recipe, try my Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes too!)
Ingredients for Cheesy Breakfast Potato Casserole
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Olive oil
- Green bell pepper – I like to use green bell peppers, which have a stronger taste than red or yellow bell peppers. Any color bell pepper will work, but green peppers give a pungent punch to the dish.
- Frozen hash brown potatoes – You can find bags of hash brown potatoes in any grocery store freezer section. Be sure to get shredded hash brown potatoes rather than diced potatoes. Shredded potatoes mix into the casserole better, giving you lots of potatoes in every bite.
- Shredded cheddar cheese – I always buy pre-shredded cheddar cheese in bags rather than grating my own blocks of cheese. Pre-shredded cheese saves so much time!
- Whole milk – Whole milk helps the casserole have a rich, creamy taste. You can use 2% or skim milk if you’d like a slimmed-down version.
- Garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- Shredded Swiss cheese – Swiss cheese has a tangy but slightly sweet taste that is delicious with breakfast potatoes. It melts nicely over the top of the casserole and adds a complex flavor that I adore.
- Add 2 cups of cooked, diced bacon to the casserole. Mix the bacon pieces in with the hashbrowns in the casserole dish to add some more salty, irresistible protein to the dish.
- Mexican blend shredded cheese works well in place of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Add 1 cup of sliced mushrooms to the skillet along with the onions and peppers to get even more breakfast veggies on your plate.
- Swap the garlic powder for a teaspoon of paprika. This will give the breakfast potatoes a smokey, slightly spicy flavor that is a hallmark of many great hashbrown recipes.
How to Make Cheesy Breakfast Potato Casserole
- Prep your equipment: Preheat the oven to 350ºF and then spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set the casserole dish aside for now.
- Sauté the veggies: Cook the onions and bell peppers in a large skillet along with the olive oil. Sauté the mix for about 8 minutes. The veggies should be soft and the onions will be almost translucent.
- Mix in the potatoes: Add the cooked onions and peppers to a large mixing bowl and toss in the hash brown potatoes and cheddar cheese. Mix everything together well, breaking the shredded hash browns into small pieces as you mix. Spread the potato mixture into the greased casserole dish, making an even layer inside the pan.
- Add the eggs: In the same mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, garlic powder, salt, and pepper together. Pour the egg mixture over the hashbrowns in the casserole dish then sprinkle the top of the casserole with the shredded Swiss cheese.
- Bake and enjoy: Bake the casserole for about 40-50 minutes. The center of the casserole will be set and no longer jiggle or look liquid. Slice and serve the casserole while hot!
How to Store Cheesy Breakfast Potato Casserole
This casserole is pretty big, so you may have some leftovers. Wrap the casserole dish in plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can also scoop the leftover casserole into an airtight container to store. Reheat the breakfast casserole in the microwave, heating it in thirty-second increments until it is nice and hot. Leftover cheesy breakfast potato casserole makes a fantastic, fast breakfast that you can enjoy all week long!
After the casserole has been baked and cooled, you can wrap the entire dish in plastic wrap and freeze it. It will keep in the freezer for about two months. When you are ready to enjoy the casserole, unwrap it and pop the frozen dish into a 375ºF oven to reheat for about 15-20 minutes. The breakfast casserole will be amazing and taste as fresh as the day you made it!
Our breakfast casserole is made with primarily cheese, hash brown potatoes, eggs, peppers, and onions. We add a few delicious spices into the mix but the overall ingredients are pretty basic!
I recommend using shredded hash brown potatoes for this recipe rather than diced. Shredded potatoes have a better texture and will hold up better in the casserole dish. They make the casserole easy to slice and serve. Diced potatoes tend to break apart when the casserole pieces are cut, making it a little too messy.
Whisk a teaspoon of cornstarch into the eggs before pouring them over the casserole dish. When the eggs bake, they will become thicker and dense. This can also help bind the hash brown potatoes better, making the casserole super thick and easily sliced.
Cheesy Breakfast Potato Casserole
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 32 oz bag frozen, shredded, hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- Preheat an oven to 350 F. Coat a 9×13 baking pan with nonstick spray; set aside.
- In a large skillet, add the olive oil over medium high heat. Once the oil is hot and begins to shimmer, add the chopped onions and bell peppers. Sauté until tender, about 7 to 8 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the onions and peppers, hash browns and cheddar cheese, breaking up the hash browns into smaller pieces. Spread the mixture evenly into the greased baking dish.
- In the same mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Pour over the top of the potato mixture. Sprinkle the Swiss cheese over the top.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the center is cooked through and springs back when touched. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve.