This million dollar chicken casserole is supremely creamy, cheesy, and oh-so-easy! Juicy chicken is baked with an irresistible cream sauce and finished with buttery Ritz crackers for a deliciously crispy topping.
Pin this recipe now to save it for laterPin Recipe
We love chicken casseroles. Whether it’s Dorito Chicken Casserole, Creamy Buffalo Chicken Casserole, Chicken Pot Pie Casserole, or Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole, chicken casseroles are always satisfying. Plus, the whole family devours them, and they’re budget-friendly to boot. This million dollar chicken casserole is destined to be your new favorite dinner!
What is million dollar chicken casserole, you ask? Well! It’s a delicious and easy-to-make casserole dish that combines cream of chicken soup, cream cheese, sour cream, and Swiss cheese with shredded chicken. Then, the mixture gets topped off with crispy Ritz cracker crumbs. (Psst—If that sounds good to you, try my Million Dollar Dip and Ritz Cracker Chicken, too!)
The result is a rich, creamy casserole that can feed the whole family. It’s also easy enough for busy weeknights. To make it even easier, the dish can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until it’s ready to be cooked. We love that, right?!
Creamy Million Dollar Chicken Casserole Recipe
This cheesy casserole is a hit with all ages and it’s absolutely packed with flavor. It’s also simple to customize this dish to suit your preferences. You can easily add different ingredients to make it your own.
Whether you serve it for a weeknight meal or make it for your next potluck, I am confident that this million dollar chicken bake is going to be a big hit!
Ingredients For Million Dollar Chicken Casserole
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Shredded chicken – You can use a rotisserie chicken, or make my Instant Pot whole chicken.
- Cream of chicken soup
- Cream cheese – Use the kind that comes in blocks, not the whipped kind that comes in plastic tubs.
- Sour cream – Full-fat will give you the richest, creamiest sauce!
- Swiss cheese – Or swap in gruyère for a stronger flavor.
- Garlic powder – You can also use half garlic powder and half onion powder.
- Black pepper
- Ritz crackers – Another buttery brand of crackers can be substituted.
- Melted butter
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Have leftover turkey on hand? Use that instead of shredded chicken.
- Add crumbled cooked bacon or bacon bits for some more smoky, savory flavor.
- Up the veggie factor by adding sautéed sliced mushrooms, green beans, or frozen chopped cauliflower.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.
How to Make Million Dollar Chicken Casserole
- Prepare: Preheat your oven to 350ºF, and coat a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Make the casserole mixture: In a large mixing bowl, stir together the cream of chicken soup, cream cheese, sour cream, Swiss cheese, garlic powder, and black pepper. Add the shredded cooked chicken to the creamy sauce, and stir to combine.
- Make the buttery Ritz cracker topping: In a medium bowl, stir together the crushed Ritz crackers and melted butter.
- Assemble: Spread the chicken mixture into the bottom of the prepared casserole dish, spreading it out evenly. Sprinkle the Ritz crackers over the top.
- Bake: Place the baking dish in the oven, and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown. The sauce will also begin to bubble up around the sides of the pan!
- Cool: Let the casserole sit for 4 to 5 minutes before serving.
If the topping starts to brown too quickly, you can loosely tent the casserole with foil. This helps keep it from burning while the rest of the casserole cooks through!
How to Store Leftover Million Dollar Chicken Casserole
Store leftover million dollar chicken casserole in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat leftovers, place the casserole in the oven at 350ºF for 15 minutes or until warm throughout. Or, simply pop it in the microwave.
Make Ahead Option
Million dollar chicken casserole is a great meal to prepare one day in advance! To do so, assemble the casserole as stated in the recipe card, leaving off the cracker topping.
Then, cover the casserole with a lid or plastic wrap, and set it in the fridge until ready to bake. When ready to eat, add the crushed Ritz cracker topping, and bake as normal.
Million dollar chicken casserole is a filling dinner on its own! That said, you can serve it over egg noodles or Instant Pot rice to stretch it a little further. Or, serve it with a side of steamed broccoli, roasted vegetables, dinner rolls, or a fresh salad.
Yes, you can freeze million dollar chicken casserole for up to three months, too. Let it cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container. When ready to eat, take it out of the freezer, and thaw the casserole in the fridge overnight, and reheat.
Yes, you can use a different type of cream soup like cream of mushroom soup or cream of celery soup. Keep in mind that this may alter the flavor slightly.
If you take your million dollar chicken casserole out of the oven and find it looks very dry, there is no need to panic! Add a small amount of water or milk to the top of the casserole, and cover the dish with foil. The liquid will create steam, adding moisture to the casserole.
Million Dollar Chicken Casserole
- 9×13 baking dish
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 6 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup swiss cheese shredded
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 to 4 cups cooked shredded chicken (about 1 rotisserie chicken)
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers crushed
- 4 ounces melted butter
- Preheat an oven to 350 F. Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray, set aside.Nonstick cooking spray
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the cream of chicken soup, cream cheese, sour cream, swiss cheese, garlic powder, and black pepper. Add the shredded chicken and mix until combined.1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, 6 ounces cream cheese, ½ cup sour cream, 1 cup swiss cheese, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon black pepper, 3 to 4 cups cooked
- In a separate bowl, stir together the crushed Ritz crackers and melted butter.1 sleeve Ritz crackers, 4 ounces melted butter
- Spread the chicken mixture into the bottom of the baking dish, spreading out to the edges. Sprinkle the Ritz crackers evenly over the top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the top is golden brown and it begins to bubble around the sides of the pan.
- Let sit for 4 to 5 minutes before serving.