Anyone who loves spicy chicken wings will go crazy for this buffalo chicken pizza. Made with ranch dressing, blue cheese, and plenty of hot sauce, it is totally irresistible!
I love the taste of chicken wings but sometimes I want a meal that isn’t quite as messy. Buffalo wings can be hard to eat! However, you can get all the great taste of buffalo chicken wings with the convenience of pizza when you give this recipe a try.
Buffalo Chicken Pizza Recipe
My buffalo chicken pizza recipe starts with premade pizza dough. You can usually find fresh pizza dough in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. You can also use a frozen, thawed pizza crust for your buffalo pizza.
Then, I make a homemade buffalo sauce using Frank’s RedHot hot sauce, butter, vinegar, and spices. Shredded chicken is tossed with the sauce and then spread over the oiled pizza crust. Add some bleu cheese and shredded mozzarella cheese and the pizza is ready to bake!
I like to drizzle the buffalo chicken pizza with ranch dressing and a few chopped chives as a finishing touch. The perfect buffalo chicken pizza is ready to eat! You can satisfy your craving for buffalo wings while also getting a pizza fix. It’s a great dinner, lunch, or snack!
Ingredients for Buffalo Chicken Pizza
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Frank’s RedHot hot sauce – If you have another favorite hot sauce brand, you can definitely use it. I just love the flavor of Frank’s Redhot and think it makes the perfect buffalo sauce.
- Butter – Use unsalted butter for this recipe.
- White vinegar
- Onion powder
- Cooked chicken – I like to use rotisserie chicken which is already slow-cooked and shreds easily. You can also cook a few chicken breasts and shred them instead.
- Cornmeal – Cornmeal is used to prevent the pizza dough from sticking to the counter or to the pizza stone as the pizza cooks. It doesn’t burn as easily as flour which tends to turn black quickly in a hot oven.
- Pizza dough – Use store-bought pizza dough or try your hand at making your own easy homemade pizza dough using my recipe here.
- Olive oil
- Bleu cheese – You can skip the bleu cheese if you’d like, but it goes really well with spicy buffalo sauce.
- Mozzarella cheese
- Fresh chives
- Ranch dressing – You may want a little extra ranch to use as a dip for your Buffalo pizza.
Here are a few variations that will work well with this Buffalo chicken pizza recipe.
- Spread about ¼ cup of ranch dressing over the pizza crust before adding the shredded buffalo chicken. The ranch dressing makes a great pizza sauce!
- Use shredded Parmesan cheese in place of mozzarella.
- Add some chopped celery to the pizza before baking. Celery will give the pizza a nice crunch and it tastes good with Buffalo sauce.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- Prepare: Preheat your oven to 475ºF. Place the pizza stone or baking rack in the oven to preheat. A hot stone or tray will help the pizza crust be nice and crispy.
- Make the sauce: Start by making your buffalo wing sauce recipe. Mix the hot sauce, butter, vinegar, and onion powder together in a medium bowl.
- Season the chicken: Toss the cooked, shredded chicken in the wing sauce. Make sure the chicken is completely coated in the sauce then set the bowl aside.
- Roll the crust: Dust some parchment paper with cornmeal, then roll the pizza dough on the parchment. The parchment will prevent it from sticking to the counter and also makes the pizza easy to move to the pizza stone.
- Cook the crust: Drizzle the pizza crust with some olive oil, then use the parchment paper to slide it onto the hot pizza stone. Pre-bake the crust for 5-6 minutes.
- Top the crust: Remove the pizza crust from the oven and spread the buffalo chicken over the entire crust. Add the bleu cheese and mozzarella cheese to the pizza then put the pizza back in the oven to bake for another 7 minutes.
- Garnish: Drizzle the hot pizza with some ranch dressing and add some chopped chives. Enjoy a slice while hot!
Use a bottle of pre-made buffalo wing sauce to save a little time. While I love my homemade buffalo mix, I also really like Sweet Baby Rays wing sauce, which is ready to use straight out of the bottle. Mix the bottled sauce with the shredded chicken and your Buffalo chicken pizza will be ready in no time!
How to Store Buffalo Chicken Pizza
Store any leftover pizza in an airtight container or tightly wrapped in plastic wrap. Your homemade buffalo chicken pizza will keep in the fridge for about 4-5 days. Reheat the pizza in a 375ºF toaster oven or regular oven, heating each slice for about 2-3 minutes. The pizza crust will get nice and crispy again and the cheese will be perfectly melted.
This buffalo chicken pizza is topped with bleu cheese, mozzarella, ranch dressing, and shredded buffalo chicken. It is spicy, tangy, and super cheesy!
Yes! The shredded chicken is tossed in a homemade buffalo sauce, which is made with hot sauce. It has a nice, spicy kick to it, but it is not too hot to eat. It has the perfect amount of flavorful heat.
Yes! Using a rotisserie chicken is an easy way to make the buffalo chicken for this pizza. Rotisserie chicken is pre-cooked and shreds nicely. One small rotisserie chicken from the grocery store will give you about 4-5 cups of shredded chicken. That is more than enough to make this buffalo chicken pizza recipe.
Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- Pizza Stone or 18×13 sheet pan
- Parchment paper
- Rolling Pin
- Mixing bowl
- 1/4 cup Frank's RedHot hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 premade pizza dough (14-15 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Bleu cheese crumbled
- 1 cup shredded mozarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced chives
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing
- Place a pizza stone or an upside down sheet pan in the middle rack of an oven and preheat to 475ºF.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the hot sauce, butter, vinegar, and onion powder. Add the shredded chicken and stir together until well-coated; set aside.
- Dust a large square of parchment paper with cornmeal, then gently roll the pizza dough out into a large circle or rectangle, matching the shape of your pizza stone or sheet pan. If the dough resists or is too springy, let it rest 5 to 6 minutes for it to relax before continuing to roll.
- Drizzle the pizza crust with the olive oil, then slide the parchment onto the preheated baking stone or pan. Parbake the crust for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the oven, then spread evenly with the buffalo chicken mixture, leaving about an inch free around the edge of the crust. Sprinkle over the top with the bleu cheese and mozzarella. Return the crust to the oven, bake an additional 7 to 8 minutes, or until the edges turn golden brown and the crust is the desired level of crispness.
- Slide the parchment off of the pizza stone to remove the pizza from the oven. Drizzle with the ranch dressing and chives. Cut into the desired number of slices and serve.