The next time you need to make box cake mix taste better, use these 10 Tricks to Make A Box Cake Mix Taste Like Homemade. Get my favorite cake recipe, too!
There’s just nothing like a big piece of homemade chocolate cake with creamy, chocolate frosting, and a tall glass of milk.
I don’t know about you, but I don’t always have time to make a recipe from scratch. And If I do have time, will it turn out awesome every time? So, I have a little trick up my sleeve on How To Make a Box Cake Mix Taste Homemade!
10 Tricks To Make A Box Cake Mix Taste Homemade
Did you know that most professional cake makers use boxed cake mixes? They do!
I had no idea until I saw one of our town’s biggest wedding cake bakers checking out at the store with powdered sugar, butter, eggs, and several boxes of Duncan Hines White Cake Mix! I couldn’t believe it!
I could have sworn her cakes were homemade! Nope. They are all about how to make boxed cake mix better when they’re creating a wedding cake.
If you’re ready to learn how to make a box cake taste like a wedding cake – you’ve come to the right place!
Come to find out from a trusted friend that is known for her amazing cakes, that they even teach bakers in classes that you really can’t beat a Duncan Hines Cake mix these days! It really is the best box cake mix.
Apparently, the box mixes include the perfect mix of ingredients for a perfectly finished cake – every time! So, you HAVE TO TRY IT! It’s the best way on how to make a box cake mix better!
I decided it was time to put this little hack to the test and I pulled out a box cake mix, added in some ingredients that made it taste a little more “homemade”, baked it, and added my homemade buttercream frosting. (See me make buttercream frosting below! )
Yep! It tasted just like it was made from scratch! I was sold.
There is definitely a time for a homemade, from scratch cake – but there is also a time for doctoring up a boxed mix to make it taste just like homemade. If you want to figure out just how to make a box cake moist and fluffy, these tricks are just what you need.
So today I’m sharing the best cake mix hacks on how to make box cake taste better that you’ll definitely want to try!
Here are THE BEST Tricks On How To Make Box Cake Better!
Try adding a few of these tips to your box cake mix taste better!
- Milk. Use whole milk instead of water. It gives it a denser texture like homemade with an improved taste. You can also use buttermilk in place of whole milk.
- Eggs. To get an extra rich and moist cake, stir in two extra egg yolks along with the eggs the recipe calls for.
- Sugar & Flour. Add 1/4- 1 cup sugar and flour to your cake mix.
- Coffee. For chocolate cakes, use strong brewed coffee instead of water to deepen the flavor.
- Sour Cream. Add in 1/2 cup sour cream to add a more dense, rich flavor.
- Pudding. Add a small instant pudding box to the mix to add moisture and flavor.
- Vanilla & Salt. Add in a teaspoon of vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon of salt the mix.
- Butter. Use melted butter in the place of vegetable oil for a richer taste. For an extra decadent cake, add two tablespoons of mayonnaise.
- Mix-Ins – Add a handful of chocolate chips, fruit, or nuts to personalize your cake.
- Frosting. Make homemade buttercream frosting! This is a MUST for cakes. Either vanilla buttercream or chocolate buttercream will make all the difference in the world!
That’s it! Try a few of these tricks the next time you’re wondering how to improve boxed cake mix. I have a feeling you will be reaching for a box mix more often!
Here’s one of my favorite recipes using a box cake mix!
How to Make a Box Cake Taste Homemade
- 15 ounce box devil's food cake mix
- 3.9 ounce box instant chocolate pudding dry
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 325° Place cupcake liners in cupcake pans.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Add the remaining ingredients and beat with a hand mixer for 2 minutes.
- Use an ice cream scoop (linked above) to fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full.
- Bake about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Pipe on frosting with a large star tip for a swirl or just by hand!
Butter Cream Frosting
- Need to alter a recipe for other measurements? Try this free printable that shows you How Many Cups in a Quart, Pint or Gallon and other valuable ways to translate while you cook.
- The Best Easy Cake Recipes|Easy Cake Recipes that can be whipped up quickly and tastes like something you purchased from a bakery!
- If you need to know How to Bake a Cake, I have you covered, too!
CLICK BELOW FOR
for my FREE printable cheat sheet for
Pin This Post for Later!
Check out these awesome cake mix recipes!
Heath Bar Cake – it’s sooooo good!
Air Head Candy Cupcakes – the kids love them!
For more cake ideas!