Ooey Gooey Butter Cake! This sweet treat made from a box cake mix is a classic dessert made popular by Paula Deen but originated in St. Louis – made with just a few ingredients, it’s one of the easiest cake recipes around!
I remember having this cake growing up way before the internet and cake recipes were so huge!
My cousin, Lea Ann was the queen of coming up with the most amazing dishes – everything from Hershey Kiss Cookies to Pasta to desserts, like this – Gooey Butter Cake!
With a buttery chewy crust and an ooey-gooey center, this butter cake recipe will be one to keep in your recipe book!
Gooey Butter Cake Recipe
You may be wondering just What Is Gooey Butter Cake if you’ve never had it. I get it! It sounds odd but it’s actually really good AND easy to make.
With two distinct layers
– the cake layer that forms the crust
– the gooey layer on top that is the cream cheese/sugary layer
These “Gooey Cake Bars” deserve a big glass of milk to wash it down with.
To make Gooey Butter Cake you only need a few ingredients!
Ingredients for Gooey Butter Cake:
- Yellow Cake Mix
- Cream Cheese
- Confectioner Sugar
- In a bowl, mix the yellow cake mix (Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker on my favorites!) melted butter and egg together. When mixed well, press into a greased 9×13 pan.
- In another bowl, mix together the cream cheese, remaining eggs, and confectioner’s sugar. Mix well until light and fluffy with a hand mixer. Add to the top of the “crust” in the 9×13 pan.
That’s it! This easy cake recipe doesn’t even require frosting. Trust me, you won’t miss it.
You could add a little sprinkle of powdered sugar of the top or a scoop of vanilla ice cream, but this cake is fine just as is.
Tips for Making The Best Gooey Butter Cake
- Use room temperature ingredients. They mix well and make for the best results.
- Be sure to mix the 2nd layer – the cream cheese layer – well. Use a hand mixer and mix until light and fluffy.
- Experiment with other flavors! Vanilla is just the start! Try lemon, chocolate, or even pumpkin next! They’re all amazing!
Ooey Gooey Butter CakePrint Pin Rate Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup 113g butter, melted
- 1 package 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- To a bowl, add the cake mix, egg and 1/2 cup of melted butter. Mix well with an electric mixer. Pat the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 9x14 baking pan.
- In another large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla and 8 tablespoons butter and beat together until combined well.
- Next, add the powdered sugar and mix well until light and fluffy.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over the cake mix crust layer.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Do not overbake. It will be a little "gooey" in the center.
Try these favorites next!