Ooey Gooey Butter Cake! This sweet treat made from a box cake mix is a classic dessert made popular by Paula Deen but originated in St. Louis – made with just a few ingredients, it’s one of the easiest cake recipes around! It tastes so much like the original recipe that you’re going to be over the moon happy!
I remember having this cake growing up way before the internet and cake recipes were so huge! That was a long time ago and things have changed. I still love the original ooey gooey cake but being able to use a dry cake mix really does cut down on the time!
My cousin, Lea Ann was the queen of coming up with the most amazing dishes – everything from Hershey Kiss Cookies to Pasta to desserts, like this – Gooey Butter Cake!
With a buttery chewy crust and an ooey-gooey center, this butter cake recipe will be one to keep in your recipe book! No one will ever know that it’s not an authentic gooey butter cake recipe.
Gooey Butter Cake Recipe
You may be wondering just What Is Gooey Butter Cake if you’ve never had it. I get it! It sounds odd but it’s actually really good AND easy to make.
With two distinct layers
– the cake layer that forms the crust
– the gooey layer on top is the cream cheese/sugary layer
These “Gooey Cake Bars” deserve a big glass of milk to wash it down with. It really is a delicious cake and quite the rummy dessert.
To make Gooey Butter Cake you only need a few ingredients! Since it’s one of my favorite desserts, I don’t just keep this for a special occasion. This is one of those dessert recipes that you keep all the ingredients from the grocery store on hand to make this rich dessert.
Ingredients for Gooey Butter Bars:
- Yellow Cake Mix – You can always change up the cake mix to chocolate cake mix or any flavor at a later point in time.
- Egg – Used as a binder for all the ingredients.
- Butter – Of course, you need butter for that buttery flavor!
- Cream Cheese – Adding this helps with that creamy cream cheese mixture!
- Confectioner Sugar – Perfect for adding sweetness.
- vanilla extract – Adds so much delicious flavor.
How to make Ooey Gooey Butter Cake Bars
Step 1 – Mix the ingredients
In a bowl, mix the yellow cake mix (Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker on my favorites!) melted butter, and egg together. When mixed well, press into a greased 9×13 pan.
Step 2 – Pour into the pan
In another bowl, mix together the cream cheese, remaining eggs, and confectioner’s sugar. Mix well until light and fluffy with a hand mixer. Add to the top of the “crust” in the 9×13 pan.
Step 3 – Bake
That’s it! This easy cake recipe doesn’t even require frosting. Trust me, you won’t miss it. This single recipe is the perfect way to make gooey butter cake squares.
Tips for Making The Best Gooey Butter Cake
- Use room temperature ingredients. They mix well and make for the best results.
- Be sure to mix the 2nd layer – the cream cheese layer – well. Use a hand mixer and mix until light and fluffy.
- Experiment with other flavors! Vanilla is just the start! Try lemon, chocolate, or even pumpkin next! They’re all amazing!
What could you add as a topping to the best butter cake in the world?
You could add a little sprinkle of powdered sugar on the top or a scoop of vanilla ice cream, but this cake is fine just as is. I also think that whipped cream or even fresh berries would be great with these gooey bars.
Can you add other flavors to these Texas gold bars?
You bet. You can easily add a lemon cake mix to turn this into a lemon gooey butter cake. You can also add a red velvet cake mix or even make a pistachio ooey butter cake, too.
You can also add some white chocolate chips or even a drizzle of sea salt caramel for a real crowd pleaser!
How do you store leftovers of this ooey gooey butter cake recipe?
Make sure that you store the cake in an airtight container once the cake cools. You can then store it in the fridge for up to 2-3 days.
This simple recipe is great because it uses a cake mix and is fast and simple to do. You’ll love being able to add in minimal ingredients to get that classic ooey gooey cake flavor and taste!
If you make a different flavor, let me know! I love hearing about new creations and ideas.
If you’re looking for more easy cake recipes, try these favorites cake recipes next!
Ooey Gooey Butter Cake
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup 113g butter, melted
- 1 package 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- To a bowl, add the cake mix, egg and 1/2 cup of melted butter. Mix well with an electric mixer. Pat the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 9×14 baking pan.
- In another large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla and 8 tablespoons butter and beat together until combined well.
- Next, add the powdered sugar and mix well until light and fluffy.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over the cake mix crust layer.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Do not overbake. It will be a little “gooey” in the center.