Since it would have been my Mom’s 55th Birthday today, I thought I would bake a cake to celebrate. So, I made my favorite cake that she always made for me on my Birthday. She would have preferred chocolate – but today I’m remembering all the ways she made me feel special and this cake was definitely one of them!
This Coconut Cream Cake has been my favorite for as long as I can remember and was made many, many times for my birthday. It’s simple and delicious and each bite takes me back to when life was simpler and there weren’t many responsibilities in my life beside keeping my room clean and feeding the cat.
Coconut Cream Cake
1 Box White Cake Mix
3/4 cup Cream of Coconut
2 cups (or more) Shredded Coconut
12 oz Cool Whip
1. Prepare cake as directed on box in a 13×9 pan. Let cool to slightly warm.
2. Using a chop stick or something else small and round, poke holes over the entire cake.
3. Pour the Cream of Coconut over the top of the cake. Make sure to go slowly and allow the cream to soak into the cake really well. Add a little more if you’d like…I do! It makes it OH SO GOOD!
3. Once the cream has soaked in really well and the cake has cooled, top with Cool Whip. Spread it around – it won’t matter how pretty it is, you’ll be covering it up.
4. Next, sprinkle the shredded coconut all over the top of the cake. Chill in the fridge until ready to eat. It’s really best to let it sit for a few hours.
That’s it! Simple and it tastes like you made it from scratch and worked all day!
Happy Birthday, Mom! I’ll eat an extra piece (or two!) for you!!