Coconut Cream Cake, sometimes also known as Coconut Poke Cake, is the perfect cake for any occasion. It’s the best cake for a fun weekend at home.
This vintage cake uses a box cake mix as the base – to keep it easy! It is then filled with cream of coconut and topped with Cool Whip and sweetened shredded coconut. It’s one of the best easy cake recipes I know!! If you love coconut cake flavor, get ready to add this to your list of favorite recipes! It’s literally one of my favorite cakes to make.
This Coconut Cream Cake has been my favorite for as long as I can remember and was made many, many times for my birthday by my mom and grandmother.
It’s simple and delicious and each bite takes me back to my childhood. This coconut dessert brings back so many fun and happy memories. It really is a coconut lover’s dream!
How to Make Coconut Cream Cake
- 1 Box White Cake Mix
- 1 can (140z sized) Cream of Coconut
- 2 cups (or more) Shredded Coconut
- 8 oz Cool Whip
Directions to make this amazing coconut cake
Prepare cake as directed on the box in a 13×9 pan. Let cool to slightly warm.
Using a chopstick or something else small and round, poke holes over the entire cake.
Pour the Cream of Coconut over the top of the cake. Make sure to go slowly and allow the cream to soak into the cake really well. Add a little more if you’d like…I do! It makes it OH SO GOOD!
Once the cream has soaked in really well and the cake has cooled, top with Cool Whip. Spread it around – it won’t matter how pretty it is, you’ll be covering it up.
Next, sprinkle the shredded coconut all over the top of the cake. Chill in the fridge until ready to eat. It’s really best to let it sit for a few hours.
That’s it! Simple and it tastes like you made it from scratch and worked all day!
Tips for Making THE BEST Coconut cake recipe
- This cake uses a boxed cake mix but you can always use your favorite white cake recipe instead as the base. Having a homemade cake mix recipe just might make a big difference in the flavor and the taste!
- Poke the holes into the cake and fill with the cream of coconut as soon as it comes out of the oven. The cream of coconut gets all soaked up into the cake making it extra moist and delicious. (This is seriously the best coconut cream poke cake!)
- Allow the cake to cool completely before adding the cool whip. It’s best if you can chill the cake overnight and add the topping the next day. (and if you want to add another frosting like cream cheese buttercream, it’s up to you!)
- This cake can be made up to 3 days in advance. It just gets better with time. Serve chilled for the most amazing Coconut Cream Cake Ever!
Can you add a second cake layer to this cake?
Since it’s a poke cake, trying to add extra cake pans or another layer isn’t going to work. You can however make a layer cake recipe by making two and then just stacking them together and adding the whipped topping or coconut cream cheese frosting on top of that. Where there’s a will, there’s a way!
How do you store leftover pieces of this sheet cake?
For best results and to keep a moist cake, you’re going to want to store this fluffy coconut cake in the fridge for later. Make certain to add a lid to cover the perfect coconut cake so that the whipped cream and fluffy texture of the cake don’t get dried out.
How do you keep the cake from sticking to the sides and bottom of the pan?
You have a few options. Line the cake pan with parchment paper for easy removal. You can also use a rubber spatula to gently release the sides of the cake from the pan if it sticks before doing the same for the bottom. The best way to do this is to let it cool as well.
This cake really is a coconut lovers dream! It’s the perfect recipe for Easter dinner or a fun way to get that fresh coconut and toasted coconut flavor that has gotten a ton of rave reviews!
Try these Easy Cake Recipes next!
Coconut Cream Cake
- 1 Box White Cake Mix
- 1 can 140z sized Cream of Coconut
- 2 cups or more Shredded Coconut
- 8 oz Cool Whip
- Prepare cake as directed on box in a 13×9 pan. Let cool to slightly warm.
- Using a chopstick or something else small and round, poke holes over the entire cake.
- Pour the Cream of Coconut over the top of the cake. Make sure to go slowly and allow the cream to soak into the cake really well.
- Allow the cake to completely cool – chilled overnight is best – and top with cool whip.
- Next, sprinkle the shredded coconut all over the top of the cake. Chill in the fridge until ready to eat.