Homemade strawberry pie is the perfect way to celebrate spring, especially with a dollop of sweet Chantilly cream!
While you can make strawberry pie year-round, it’s definitely a dessert that makes you think of warmer weather. Whether it’s to celebrate the start of strawberry season in the spring or as a light dessert for a hot summer day, you simply can’t do better than an old-fashioned strawberry pie.
Classic Strawberry Pie Recipe
This strawberry pie recipe is loaded full of fresh, sweet, fragrant strawberries. (Yes, this pie smells amazing—your whole kitchen will smell like strawberries when you make it!) If you’ve never made strawberry pie before, you’ll find that it’s pretty much as easy as cherry pie or apple pie. Make the filling on the stovetop, pour it in the crust, and chill!
I recommend serving strawberry pie from scratch with homemade Chantilly cream or whipped cream, but frozen whipped topping, canned whipped cream, creme anglaise, or even a scoop of vanilla ice cream will work too. However you serve it, it’s sure to disappear!
- Refrigerated pie crust – Or make your own Homemade Pie Crust!
- Fresh strawberries – Here’s how to refresh strawberries that are past their prime.
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Unflavored powdered gelatin
How to Make Strawberry Pie
1. Prepare the Crust
Lay the pie dough in a 9-inch pie plate or tin and press the edges. Bake according to the package (or recipe) instructions, then let the crust cool completely.
2. Start the Filling
Mash half of the berries with a fork in a small saucepan. Add ¼ cup of water, sugar, and vanilla and bring the mixture to a low boil over medium heat, continuing to mash the berries. Cook for 5 minutes.
3. Finish the Filling
Whisk together the cornstarch and ½ cup of cold water in a small bowl. Slowly add this to the berry filling and return to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook until the filling has thickened, about 3 minutes. Next, reduce heat to low and whisk in the gelatin. Cook for 3 minutes or until the gelatin is dissolved, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and fold in the remaining strawberries.
4. Assemble and Chill
Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust and use a spatula to smooth it out. Chill the strawberry pie in the refrigerator for 4 hours, then slice and serve with Chantilly cream.
How to Store Strawberry Pie
Store strawberry pie covered in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days. You can also freeze strawberry pie in an airtight storage container for up to 3 months.
Why is my strawberry pie so runny?
This recipe uses both cornstarch and gelatin to create a thick strawberry filling. If your pie is runny, it may be that the filling was under-cooked.
Can you buy strawberry pie filling?
While you can buy strawberry pie filling, it’s just not the same as strawberry pie filling from scratch! The flavor of fresh strawberries really shines through.
Does strawberry pie need to be refrigerated?
If your kitchen isn’t warm, strawberry pie could keep for about 2 days at room temperature, but refrigerating is better.
More Strawberry Recipes to Try
- Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
- Strawberry Scones
- Sweet and Delicious Strawberry Cobbler
- Crockpot Strawberry Raspberry Jam
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie crust or make your own Homemade Pie Crust!
- 1 quart fresh strawberries quartered
- ¼ cup water
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp unflavored powdered gelatin
- Lay pie dough into a 9-inch pie plate or tin and press the edges to secure. Bake, undocked, according to the package instructions.
- For the filling, mash half of the berries with a fork and combine with ¼ cup of water, sugar, and vanilla in a small saucepot. Bring to a low boil over medium heat, continuing to mash the berries. Cook for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and ½ cup of cold water. Slowly add to the berry filling and return to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce to medium-low and cook until thickened, about 3 minute. Reduce to low heat and add the gelatin. Whisk to combine. Cook for 3 minutes or until the gelatin is dissolved, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and fold in the remaining fresh strawberries.
- Pour filling into baked and cooled pie crust and smooth with a spatula. Chill in the refrigerator for 4 hours. Top with whipped chantilly cream!