Did anyone else buy their air fryer specifically for French fries? I mean, I love air fryer popcorn chicken, air fryer Brussels sprouts, and air fryer chicken breasts, but what I really wanted to see was if I could get restaurant-style fries in an air fryer, without having to mess with deep frying.
Air Fryer French Fries Recipe
In addition to being much easier than deep frying, the reason air fryers are so popular is because of their ability to make foods crispy without a ton of oil. This makes air fryer French fries healthier than traditional fries. Instead of submerging fries in oil, the air fryer blows a small amount of oil around them for the same effect.
You get fries that are crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and all around perfect—especially when paired with French Fry Dipping Sauce!
Now, maybe you’ve tried air fryer French fries before and you weren’t impressed. That might be because you didn’t rinse the cut potatoes in cold water first. This is the key to getting crispy fries in the air fryer. Don’t skip this step!
It’s also important not to put too many fries in the air fryer at once. They need some room to breathe if they’re going to get crispy!
Be sure to check out the recipe card below for full measurements!
- Russet potatoes – You can use Yukon gold if you like, but Russet will give you restaurant-style fries. I don’t recommend other types of potatoes.
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Seasoning salt
- Italian seasoning
- Truffle oil
- Garlic oil
- Grated Parmesan
- Cajun seasoning
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Minced parsley
How to Make Air Fryer French Fries
Preheat your air fryer to 380ºF and spray the basket with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Cut and Rinse the Potatoes
Use a sharp chef’s knife to cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then into 1/4-inch slices. Cut these slices into thin 1/4-inch sticks. Place the fries in a mixing bowl and rinse them well with cold water.
Drain the fries and pat them dry with paper towels. Wipe out the bowl to dry it.
3. Season the Fries
Put the fries back in the bowl and toss them with oil. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and several grinds of pepper.
4. Cook the Fries
Place the fries in an even layer in the air fryer basket. Work in batches if necessary; you don’t want the fries to overlap, as this will keep them from getting crispy.
Cook, turning them halfway through the cooking time, until they’re golden brown and crisp, 14 to 16 minutes. Remove and season with additional salt to taste.
How to Store and Reheat Air Fryer French Fries
Place leftovers in an airtight storage container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat them in a 350ºF oven until they’re warmed through. (You can microwave them too, but they’re not as crispy that way!)
You can also freeze air fryer fries in a zip-top bag or airtight storage container for up to 2 months and reheat them in the oven.
Air fryers can vary, but I find that about 15 minutes is a good amount of time for French fries. You can check a little bit sooner if you think your air fryer tends to cook things faster!
Set the air fryer temperature for 380ºF when you’re making fries.
There are two reasons your fries might not be crispy. First, if you don’t rinse and dry the fries, they’re unlikely to crisp up. Second, if you crowd too many fries in your air fryer, they’ll be soggy instead of crisp.
Yes, you do need to turn the fries halfway through the cooking time to ensure that they’re crisp on both sides and cook evenly.
More Reader Favorite Potato Recipes
- 2 russet potatoes sliced into 1/4-inch sticks
- extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
- sea salt
- Preheat an air fryer to 380 degrees F and spray the basket with nonstick spray.
- Cut the potato in half lengthwise, then into 1/4-inch slices. Cut the slices into 1/4-inch sticks. Put the fries in a medium bowl and rinse them well with cold water, then drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Toss the fries with the oil in a medium bowl, then sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and several grinds of pepper.
- Working in batches if necessary, put the fries in an even layer in the air fryer basket with no overlapping and cook, turning them halfway through, until golden brown and crisp, 14 to 16 minutes.
- Remove and season with salt.