Sugar Cookie Bars are quick, easy, and delicious! Made with cake mix, sugar cookie mix, butter, and eggs, it’s the perfect bar cookie recipe!
Pin this recipe now to save it for laterPin Recipe
Classic sugar cookies meet the convenience of a handheld cookie bar with this sugar cookie bar recipe. Did I mention it’s made with a boxed cake mix and cookie mix, too? Oh, yes!
With just five simple ingredients, these treats are fast, simple, and full of flavor! Plus, chances are you already have all (or at least most) of the ingredients on hand.
Make sure to check out my 10 Tricks To Make A Box Cake Mix Taste Homemade as well!
Sugar Cookie Bars Recipe
And if you’re a fan of using cake mixes for your desserts, make certain to check out our 35+ Easy Cake Mix Recipes – Hacks Using A Box Cake Mix as well. There are so many simple recipes that require hardly anything from you!
Sugar Cookie Bar Ingredients
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Sugar cookie mix – I love using the Betty Crocker cookie mix!
- White cake mix – you can easily use another type of cake mix if you’d like.
- Butter – make sure that you use unsalted butter for this recipe.
- Lare eggs – The eggs act as the binding agent between the two mixes.
- Vanilla extract
- Change up the flavor by using a different cake mix. Chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, or lemon would all taste great!
- If you want to add in a little bit of moistness, you can also add a dollop of Greek yogurt and mix as well. Don’t overdo it, a little bit goes a long way.
- Top your sugar cookie bars with store-bought icing, homemade buttercream frosting, sugar cookie frosting, cream cheese frosting, or chocolate frosting to make them extra rich.
- Leave off the frosting, and use powdered sugar or nothing at all.
- Top your iced cookie bars with festive sprinkles, chocolate chips, sanding sugar, or coconut flakes for extra taste and texture and a festive appearance!
How To Make Sugar Cookie Bars
- Prepare: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and grease the bottom of a 13×9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine the ingredients: In a large bowl, use a hand mixer or stand mixer to beat the sugar cookie mix, cake mix, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla on low speed for 30 seconds. Then, increase the speed to medium, and continue to beat until the ingredients are well combined.
- Bake: Spread the cookie dough mix in the bottom of the greased pan, spreading it out evenly. Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool: Allow the sugar cookie bars to cool completely in the pan before icing and slicing.
Allow the ingredients to come to room temperature before mixing. This helps them mix easily, preventing the batter from being overworked!
How to Store Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars
Once cooled, frosted cookie bars can be transferred to an airtight container and stored at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Sugar Cookie Bars Without Cream Cheese FAQS
You’re going to want to bake them for about 30 to 35 minutes, depending on your oven and the mixes used. You should then start to notice that they’re turning a golden brown when they’re ready to be removed from the oven.
If you plan on freezing these bars for later, leave off the frosting! Then, place them in an airtight container or sealable bag, and keep them frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight, and add the frosting when you’re ready to eat!
Anything you want! Drizzle melted chocolate, add some shredded coconut, or various sprinkles of different shapes and colors are all great choices. I like to melt chocolate chips and drizzle those across the top, too. Whatever you want to do is delicious and totally worth it.
Sugar Cookie Bars
- 13×9 Pan
- Mixing bowls
- measuring spoons
- 1 pouch (1 lb) sugar cookie mix
- 1 (14.25 oz) box white cake mix
- 1 cup butter melted and slightly cooled
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom of 13×9-inch pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, beat the sugar cookie mix, cake mix, melted butter, eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Turn the mixer to medium speed for about 1 minute more or until blended.1 pouch, 1 (14.25 oz) box white cake mix, 1 cup butter, 3 large eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Spread the sugar cookie mixture into the pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Use my sugar cookie frosting to frost the bars and top with Christmas sprinkles.