This Red, White, and Blue Poke Cake is perfect for the Fourth of July, Memorial Day, or any patriotic occasion! The light, fluffy white cake is infused with red and blue Jello for a fruity, colorful, and easy dessert!
While the classic American flag cake is a 4th of July tradition for many families, why not switch things up this year and try something different? This Red, White, and Blue Poke Cake has the same patriotic flair, plus it’s super moist and packed with flavor thanks to the addition of Jello!
I have a lot of easy poke cake recipes here on All Things Mamma, from Chocolate Poke Cake to Banana Pudding Poke Cake and Strawberry Jello Poke Cake, but if you’re looking for a 4th of July poke cake, this Red, White, and Blue Poke Cake is perfect!
Red, White, and Blue Jello Poke Cake Recipe
A poke cake is a cake that has holes poked into it after baking so it can easily absorb a syrup, instant pudding, filling, or, in this case, Jello in patriotic colors. The result is a delicious cake that’s extra flavorful and extra moist! It’s the perfect dessert for when you’re hosting a party and you’ve already got your hands full making appetizers, a main dish, and sides.
The best thing about a poke cake is that they are super easy to make! Just bake up a simple cake, poke some holes in it, and pour on the filling. Then top it with Cool Whip, a homemade cream cheese frosting, or even just a store-bought one. You can decorate the cake with sprinkles or fresh fruit.
This Red, White, and Blue Poke Cake is sure to be a hit at your Independence Day celebration. Fire up the grill, break out the sparklers, and kick back with a slice of patriotic cake!
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- White boxed cake mix – You’ll also need eggs, vegetable oil, or anything else required to make the cake.
- Red Jello – You can use strawberry, cherry, or raspberry.
- Blue Jello
- Boiling water
- Cool Whip – While homemade whipped cream made with heavy whipping cream can be used instead, whipped topping will last longer and stand up better on a hot summer day!
How to Make Red, White, and Blue Poke Cake
1. Make the Cake
Prepare the cake according to the package directions. Let the cake cool completely, then use the end of a wooden spoon to poke holes in the entire cake about an inch apart.
2. Make the Jello
Put the Jello mixes into separate bowls. Pour one cup of boiling water into each bowl and stir until it dissolves. Let the liquid cool to room temperature, then pour the Jello mixture into the holes in the cake, making sure not to mix them.
3. Chill and Finish
Cover the cake with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or until it’s set. Spread Cool Whip over the top, decorate the top of the cake with patriotic sprinkles and serve. You can also garnish the top of your cake with fresh strawberries and blueberries like an American flag cake!
How to Store Red, White, and Blue Patriotic Poke Cake
This cake should be stored in the fridge, and covered until you are ready to serve it. Leftovers will last 4 to 5 days when refrigerated.
Poke cakes are super easy to make! Just bake up a simple boxed cake mix according to the box directions, poke some holes in it, and pour on the Jello filling. Then, top it with Cool Whip or your favorite frosting.
Yes, this Red, White, and Blue Poke Cake needs to be refrigerated. This is because of the Jello filling! Jello needs to be kept cold so it doesn’t turn into liquid.
You can use anything that will make a small hole in the cake. The handle of a wooden spoon works great! You could also use a chopstick, wooden skewer, or a drinking straw.
It usually takes a few hours for the Jello to set up properly. I like to make the cake the night before so that it has plenty of time to chill in the fridge. However, you could also make it in the morning and it should be ready to eat by the afternoon.
More Red White and Blue Desserts
Red, White, and Blue Poke Cake
- 1 18oz box white cake mix plus ingredients to make the cake
- 1 3.5oz box of red Jell-O
- 1 3.5oz box of blue Jell-O
- 2 cups water boiling
- 1 tub of Cool Whip thawed
- Prepare the cake following the instructions on the box. Cool completely. Using the end of a wooden spoon, poke holes in the cake every inch or so.
- Add the Jell-O mixes to separate bowls. Pour one cup of boiling water into each bowl and stir to dissolve. Let cool to room temperature and pour the different colored liquid into the holes in the cake making sure not to mix them.
- Cover the cake and refrigerate it for at least 4 hours.
- Spread Cool Whip over the cake and decorate with sprinkles.