Lemon Cookies are baked to soft perfection and drizzled with a simple, sweet homemade glaze.
If you love the zesty taste of lemon, you’re going to love these easy-to-make cookies! They have a hint of lemon zest and a wonderful amount of sweetness that will make your mouth water. What are you waiting for? Make a batch of these lemon cake mix cookies today!
AN EASY CAKE MIX COOKIE RECIPE
I’m currently suffering from pre-Easter panic. I don’t know what to make! It’s not that I can’t come up with something – it’s just the opposite. There are too many delicious desserts to choose from!
However, I know that no matter what, I’ll be baking a batch of these lemon cookies for everyone to enjoy. Even if I also end up baking some extravagant cake, I know I’ll be mad at myself if I don’t make these cookies, too! After all, they’re so easy to whip up, there’s really no reason not to make them.
If you’re also suffering from pre-Easter panic, make a batch of lemon cookies. These sweet cookies are rich with lemony goodness and are sure to put a smile on everyone’s faces!
Here’s what you’ll need to make the best lemon cake mix cookies –
- Cream Cheese – You’ll only need on 8 oz package of cream cheese for a batch of these lemon cookies. Make sure it’s softened! Just leave the package on the counter for an hour or so.
- Butter – Make sure the butter is also softened, but not melted! Also, unsalted butter works best for this easy recipe.
- Lemon Juice – If you’re using a fresh lemon, you’ll need the juice from half of it. You can use the whole lemon if you want the lemony flavor to be even more prominent!
- Lemon Cake Mix – I definitely recommend using a box of Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ lemon cake mix for best results.
To make the homemade glaze, all you need is –
- Powdered Sugar – This sugar is the key to all tasty homemade glazes! It can’t be substituted with any other kind of sugar.
- Lemon Juice – If you’re using a fresh lemon, you’ll need the juice from the entire thing to make the glaze.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST LEMON COOKIES
STEP 1. PREPARE
To start, preheat your oven to 350°F. Do not grease the cookie sheets.
STEP 2. MAKE THE COOKIE DOUGH
In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer until it’s well blended. Beat in the egg until it’s smooth. On low speed, beat in the lemon juice and cake mix until it’s well blended.
STEP 3. BAKE
Drop the dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart on the cookie sheets. Then, bake the cookies for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the edges are light golden brown.
STEP 4. COOL
Allow the freshly baked cookies to cool on a baking sheet for about 2 minutes before placing them on a wire cooling rack. Once they’re on the wire rack, allow them to cool fully. It should just take about 20 minutes or so! (As tempting as it’ll be to sneak a bite, these cookies are best when they’re fully cooled.)
STEP 5. MAKE THE GLAZE AND DRIZZLE IT
In a small bowl, beat the glaze ingredients with a mixer until it’s smooth. To glaze the cookies, you have two options. You can either dip the tops of each cookie into the glaze, or use a piping bag to drizzle the glaze over the cookies.
WHAT ELSE CAN I TOP THE LEMON COOKIES WITH?
If you don’t want to glaze the cookies, powdered sugar by itself it also a deliciously sweet choice! If you’re making these for a birthday party, rainbow sprinkles are also a cute idea.
HOW LONG WILL THESE CAKE MIX COOKIES STAY FRESH?
In an airtight container at room temperature, these cookies will stay fresh and delicious for up to 3 days! I love making a batch just to have in the house. Leave them on the counter for everyone to enjoy, or sneak one in your kid’s lunch box. They’ll be so happy to see that surprise!
Besides enjoying these cake mix lemon cookies for Easter, I’m probably going to be making them all throughout the spring… and summer! They’re just so easy to make and scrumptious, I can’t resist making multiple batches.
IF YOU’RE CRAVING MORE COOKIES, YOU’VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE! HERE ARE SOME MORE COOKIE RECIPE I LOVE.
- Funfetti Cookies
- Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies
- Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies
- The Best Chewy Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
- 1 package 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer until well blended.
- Beat in egg until smooth.
- On low speed, mix in cake mix until blended.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets using a cookie scoop if you have one.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Don't overbake.
- Cool on cookie sheet 2 minutes before adding to a cooling rack.
- Cool completely before adding glaze.
- In small bowl, beat the glaze ingredients with spoon or mixer until smooth.
- Add to either a bowl and dip tops of cookies in the bowl OR to a piping bag to drizzle glaze over cookies.
- Store covered in an airtight container at room temperature.