These Easy, 5-Ingredient Lemon Bars have the perfect combination of sweet and tart. Made with a lemony box cake mix and sweetened condensed milk, this cake mix dessert is always a favorite!
Whether you need a quick treat for lunch boxes or food for a summer picnic, this Lemon Bar Recipe should be at the top of your list! Made with only a few ingredients and ready in under 30 minutes, your entire family will love this one!
5-Ingredient Cake Mix Dessert FTW!
Ina Garten’s Lemon Bars have always been a favorite of mine – so I decided to come up with a recipe that tastes as good but is made in half the time AND ingredients!
All you need for this homemade lemon bars recipe is a few ingredients you most likely already have on hand in your pantry. It’s so easy to make, even the kids can help!
- Lemon Cake Mix – 1 box of your favorite boxed cake mix. I always reach for Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker.
- Butter – I always use real, unsalted butter in all my baking recipes.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Lemon Juice
How To Make Lemon Bars
Step 1: Mix
Preheat oven to 350 °F. In a bowl, mix together the cake mix, butter, and egg. (it will be thick)
Step 2: Add to Pan
Spread mixture evenly into bottom of a 13×9-inch baking pan. You may need to use your hands to pat it down.
Step 3: Blend Topping
Blend together sweetened condensed milk and lemon juice. Pour mixture over top of cake mix mixture.
Step 4: Bake
Bake for 23 to 27 minutes.
Step 5: Enjoy
Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars.
You can store these bars at room temperature. However, I love they way they taste when refrigerated. Up to you!
Lemon Bars are best stored lightly covered with plastic wrap or in an airtight container. To store lemon bars for a longer period of time, such as a week or up to four months, place them in the freezer.
Lemon bars can be frozen for up to 3-4 months. Cut the bars into squares, and place them onto a baking sheet. Freeze for 1 hour then wrap individually in aluminum foil or plastic wrap and place in a large freezer bag before placing back in the freezer.
- 1 pkg Lemon Cake Mix
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- In a bowl, mix together the cake mix, butter, and egg. (it will be thick)
- Spread mixture evenly into bottom of a 13x9-inch baking pan. You may need to use your hands to pat it down.
- Blend together sweetened condensed milk and lemon juice. Pour mixture over top of cake mix mixture.
- Bake for 23 to 27 minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting into bars.
- Garnish with grated lemon if desired.