There really isn’t anything better than a good old fashioned cupcake for dessert. I just love making AND eating them. I make cupcakes for birthday parties, family dinners, church gatherings and just because it’s Friday. Like today! Today I am sharing this amazing cocktail inspired cupcake that Wayfair.com asked me to create to share with all of you as part of their Cocktail to Cupcake campaign! I’m sure you’re gonna love it! This Lemon Drop Cupcake, inspired by a Lemon Drop Martini, is light, refreshing and can be made with or without alcohol. It’s up to you!
Lemon Drop Cupcakes
Look how pretty this cupcake cake is! My kids thought the frosting on tip was ice cream when they saw them! Don’t you agree? The way to get that pretty “ice cream” swirl is to use a Wilton #8b or #1m tip. Don’t be intimidated by using a pastry bag and a frosting tip, it’s super easy! Just place the tip in the end of the bag, fill with frosting and decorate! You can check out my segment on Good Day Marketplace where I share how to decorate these cupcakes AND make the cocktail! Once you see how easy it is and how much fun we’re having, you’ll be ready to make your own cupcakes and cocktails!
These cupcakes are made from scratch, but you could always use a white cake box mix and use my tricks to doctor up a cake mix! Just make sure to follow my recipe below where you add in the lemon flavorings. That’s where you’ll get the “lemon drop” martini taste!
To decorate your cupcakes, you can find a course sugar in the baking aisle at the store. It sure makes the cupcakes sparkle and shine! I also added it to the lemon slices on top of the cupcakes. So very pretty!
Check out this easy Lemon Drop Cupcake recipe that is made from scratch inspired by the Lemon Drop Martini. Be sure to make a Lemon Drop Martini to go along with it! You’re gonna love it!
Lemon Drop Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup limoncello Italian lemon liqueur or milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1 recipe Lemon Frosting
- 1/2 cup lemon drop candies finely crushed, or Glazed Lemon Slices
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- zest of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tin with baking cups (24)
- Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and lemon peel; beat until combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Alternately add flour mixture and milk mixture to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about three-fourths full.
- Bake about 18 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 5 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Frost with Lemon Frosting recipe below.
- Top with lemon slices rolled in sugar.
- Allow butter to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter and extract until smooth.
- Slowly add 1 cups of the powdered sugar at a time, beating well after each addtion.
- Add lemon juice and zest. Mix well.
- Beat in milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until frosting reaches spreading consistency.
This cupcake was created as part of Wayfair’s Cocktail to Cupcake Sponsored Campaign. Thank you for including me, Wayfair!4