Crunchy, fresh cucumber tomato salad is always a hit! It takes just minutes to toss together, and the dressing is made in the same bowl you’ll use for the salad, saving even more on time and clean-up!
Pin this recipe now to save it for laterPin Recipe
This simple salad takes raw vegetables and tosses them in a savory olive oil-red wine vinegar dressing to bring out their fresh flavor. Add lots of fresh herbs and you’ve got the makings of a special salad that’s beyond easy to make!
During the height of summer, when temperatures are soaring and it’s definitely too hot to even think about turning on the stove or oven, all I want are salads. Sometimes I like a heartier salad, like my Crusted Chicken Cobb Salad recipe, or a complete meal salad like a Summer Pasta Salad or Summer Cobb Salad. But I never go wrong when I make a cucumber tomato salad and it’s always perfect in summer!
Refreshing Cucumber Tomato Salad Recipe
Full of crunchy fresh cucumbers and juicy grape tomatoes, my recipe for this simplest of salads is big on flavor. First, you make a tangy red wine vinegar and olive oil salad dressing and combine it with the veggies. Fresh herbs like basil and parsley bring tons of flavor.
Some nights I’ll serve this salad just with slices of fresh French bread and butter and it’s enough to make a meal! It also holds up great so you can make it in advance and bring it to potlucks. You can double or triple the recipe easily when you want to serve a crowd. Make it during tomato season for the most intense tomato flavor.
Ingredients for Cucumber Tomato Salad
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Olive oil – I like a light or neutral-flavored olive oil for this recipe.
- Red wine vinegar – You can find this with other vinegar varieties in the grocery store.
- Salt – Use kosher salt in this recipe rather than table salt.
- Black pepper
- Basil – Fresh basil rather than dried basil.
- English cucumbers – English cucumbers are cucumbers that have a thinner skin than regular cucumbers and don’t need to be peeled before using.
- Grape tomatoes – You can also use cherry tomatoes.
- Red onion
If you can’t find English cucumbers, you can substitute regular cucumbers. I do recommend peeling the cucumbers before using, though, because the skin can be a little tough.
How to Make Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Make the salad: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, basil, and parsley. Add the cucumbers, tomatoes and onion. Toss well in the dressing. Cover and let sit for at least 15 minutes before serving for flavors to meld.
If you can’t get grape or cherry tomatoes, or prefer to use whole tomatoes, you can quarter and then roughly chop regular tomatoes and then add them to the salad.
How to Store
Store leftover cucumber tomato salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Serve cold from the fridge.
There are so many ways to serve cucumber tomato salad!
- With fresh bread – The simplest way to enjoy this salad! You can pick up a fresh loaf of crusty Italian or French bread and serve slices with cucumber salad and cheese.
- As an appetizer – Take leftover rounds of baguette, toast them, and top with cucumber tomato salad for a happy hour appetizer.
- At a BBQ – Cucumber tomato salad is great at potlucks or barbecues alongside summery dishes like Fruit Salad. You could skip the bun for your hamburger and load up your plate with salad alongside the meat for a lighter meal. Or just serve in place of a more traditional green salad for something different.
Cucumber tomato salad is light on fat, high in vitamin C, and contains lots of water and fiber, making it a healthier salad choice.
Cucumber tomato salad is definitely good for you! Tomatoes are a powerful antioxidant, rich in vitamin C and lycopene, while cucumbers are hydrating, low in sodium, and a good source of potassium. Raw onions also are full of antioxidants and vitamin C.
Follow my recipe below! It really couldn’t be simpler to make cucumber tomato salad. You’ll just need to slice the vegetables and toss them with the homemade dressing before serving.
Cucumber Tomato Salad
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 English cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, basil and parsley. Add the cucumbers, tomatoes and onion. Toss well in the dressing. Cover and let sit for at least 15 minutes before serving for flavors to meld.