You’ll love these 6-Ingredient Christmas Ooey Gooey Butter Cookies made with cake mix and holiday sprinkles – ready to enjoy in less than 20 minutes!
These cookies have their cookie dough made from a cake mix – making it the easiest way to bake cookies, ever!
Oooey Gooey Butter Cookies With Cake Mix + Sprinkles
These Christmas Ooey Gooey Butter Cookies are my favorite. The best part about this recipe? It uses a cake mix, holiday sprinkles, and they’re ready to enjoy in less than 20 minutes of time! The taste and texture literally melt in your mouth.
There’s a reason that Gooey Butter Cake is so popular. It’s literally a dessert recipe that melts in your mouth. I love whipping up this cake mix cookie recipe for Christmas because it just puts me in the festive mood.
And if you’re part of the fun Christmas Cookie Exchange activities, these holiday-themed butter cookies would be perfect for adding to the mix.
Ready for some holiday fun? Gather up the simple ingredients listed below. Don’t forget the parchment paper so that the cookies don’t stick!
- yellow cake mix (or any flavor of cake mix that you want)
- softened butter – I use unsalted butter when baking.
- vanilla extract – you can use almond extract in a pinch.
- softened cream cheese – you can mix with a stand mixer or by hand.
- large egg – Use the egg yolks and all!
- powdered sugar – This is what you’re going to roll the cookies in. You need a soft and powder-like substance for this which is why powdered sugar is perfect.
- Holiday sprinkles – Red and green are the best!
How To Make Christmas Ooey Gooey Butter Cookies
- Mix the ingredients – Beat together the butter, vanilla, egg, and cream cheese until fluffy and mixed well.
- Add the cake mix – Add in the cake mix and blend until mixed well.
- Chill the dough – Put in the fridge and chill for 30 minutes- 1 hour.
- Make into balls – Roll into balls in holiday sprinkles and dip in a bowl of powdered sugar – roll around until covered completely.
- Bake – Put in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes until the edges are lightly brown. Remove to a baking sheet after allowing it to cool for 5 minutes.
Tips + Variations
There are actually a lot of ways that you can change up the flavors of these easy cake mix cookies. Since I’m all about Christmas right now, that’s what I have on my mind.
- Make these cookies using chocolate cake mix or any other flavor of cake mix as well.
- Create a fun homemade frosting and make a ooey gooey butter cookie sandwich.
- Change up the sprinkles to easily change up the holiday theme.
Holiday Gooey Butter Cookie FAQS
This delicious flavor was made right here in the United States. And while I’m uncertain of the exact origin, I do know that St. Louis, Missouri, is often credited for the “original” Gooey Butter Cake.
Yes, I would suggest putting your cookies in the fridge. Put them in a sealed container or bag and keep them nice and cool. They should last for up to 1 week in the fridge. (if you don’t eat them all first!)
Technically, yes. BUT this is a butter cookie recipe so I wouldn’t recommend it. Use the butter, it makes up the amazing and rich flavor of this cookie!
More Easy Dessert Recipes
Christmas Ooey Gooey Butter Cookies
- 1 box of yellow cake mix (or any flavor of cake mix that you want)
- 1/2 cup of softened butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 8 ounces of softened cream cheese
- 1 egg
- powdered sugar
- Holiday sprinkles
- Beat together the butter, vanilla, egg, and cream cheese until fluffy and mixed well.
- Add in the cake mix and blend until mixed well.
- Put in the fridge and chill for 30 minutes- 1 hour.
- Roll into balls in holiday sprinkles and dip in a bowl of powdered sugar – roll around until covered completely.
- Put in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes until the edges are lightly brown. Remove to a baking sheet after allowing it to cool for 5 minutes.