These Gooey Butter Cookies are made with a yellow cake mix, butter, cream cheese, eggs, and vanilla. Chewy and delicious, these 5-ingredient cake mix cookies are such a quick and easy cookie recipe for any season!
Cake Mix Mix Cookies
Gooey Butter Cookies are like a dessert dream come true. If you love this taste and flavor in a Gooey Butter Cake, you’re going to go crazy over this simple cookie recipe. Rich in flavor and perfectly sweetened with a texture that literally melts in your mouth.
These Ooey Gooey Butter cookies are the perfect afternoon snack or after-dinner dessert.
These gooey butter cookies from scratch just might be my new favorite flavor. I also love the light dusting of powdered sugar on top as well. It’s the perfect sweetness for the perfect cookie.
Gooey Butter Cookie Ingredients
All the simple ingredients you need to make these butter cookies are listed below.
- 1 box of yellow cake mix – white cake could be used, as well.
- 1/2 cup of softened butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 8 ounces of softened cream cheese
- 1 egg
- powdered sugar
How To Make Gooey Butter Cookies
Step 1. Beat the butter, vanilla, egg, and cream cheese until fluffy.
Step 2. Mix in the cake mix and blend until mixed well.
Step 3. Chill for 30- 1 hour minutes in the fridge.
Step 4. Roll into balls and dip in a bowl of powdered sugar – roll around until fully covered.
Step 5. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes until the edges are lightly brown. Remove to a baking sheet after allowing to cool for 5 minutes.
Tips + Variations
While these ooey gooey butter cookies are perfect as they are, here are a few other suggestions on how you can easily change up the taste and flavor.
- Add in a bit of lemon zest to make your cookies have a citrus taste.
- Make certain to get your cream cheese softened before using it in this recipe otherwise, the cookies will turn out lumpy.
- Switch up the flavor of the cake mix so that you can easily switch up the flavor of the cookies as well.
- Chilling the dough for 30 minutes is important as it helps bind the ingredients together to create that cookie shape.
Can you freeze gooey butter cookies?
You can. This is another reason why I love this simple recipe. If you have extra cookies that you’re going to be unable to eat, just pop them in a freezer-safe container and freeze them for later. They should be fine for several weeks to a month without issues.
And when you’re ready to eat, just pull out a cookie, let thaw, and enjoy!
More Cookie Recipes
Gooey Butter Cookies
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 c butter softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 egg
- powdered sugar
- Beat butter, vanilla, egg and cream cheese until fluffy.
- Mix in cake mix untill well blended.
- Chill for 30 minututes to an hour
- Roll into balls and dip in a bowl of powdered sugar.
- Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes until the edges are lightly brown. Allow to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes until cooling on a wire rack.