The BEST Banana Pudding Poke Cake. All the flavors of banana cream pie come together in this easy and delicious cake mix poke cake! All you need is a box cake mix, banana pudding, cool whip, and vanilla wafers for the easiest family-favorite dessert!
Banana Pudding Poke Cake is so delicious, it’ll have you going bananas! All jokes aside, this banana pudding cake is easy to whip up and impossible to resist.
Next time you need a quick dessert to whip up for a picnic or pool party, this easy cake mix recipe is what you should turn to!
HOW TO WHIP A POKE CAKE
If you’re a fan of bananas, prepare to meet what might be your newest obsession. This banana poke cake is bursting with deliciously sweet banana flavor! It’s just like taking a big bite out of a banana cream pie… only this cake requires half the effort to make!
This is a budget-friendly, kid-approved recipe that I find myself whipping up every spring and summer. I’ve made it for Easter Sunday, picnics at the park, and I’ve even packed it up and taken it to the beach!
With a cake mix recipe this easy and delectable, you’ll be finding yourself also making it for all kinds of occasions.
- Yellow Cake Mix – Betty Crocker is my go-to boxed cake mix of choice. However, pretty much any brand of boxed yellow cake mix will work for this easy recipe!
- Banana Jello – Banana cream jello is delicious all on its own! However, it’s downright delectable when used in this poke cake recipe.
- Milk – Plain whole milk is the best for mixing with the jello packet.
- Whipped Topping – Cool Whip is the BEST whipped topping for this banana cream cake.
- Vanilla Wafers – Crushing up these sweet cookies and sprinkling them on top of the cake really brings the whole cake together in the best way!
If you’re anything like me, you already have these ingredients in your kitchen! If you have to go to the store, no worries – these simple and inexpensive ingredients are sold pretty much everywhere. This is a true no-frills easy recipe!
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST BANANA PUDDING CAKE
STEP 1. BAKE AND COOL
Check your cake mix box for the instructions. Then, bake the cake mix accordingly. Once it’s finished baking, remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool for about 10 minutes. A cooling rack is wonderful to use during this step!
STEP 2. MAKE THE PUDDING
In a bowl, prepare the pudding mixture with the pudding mix and 4 cups of milk. Whisk until everything is totally smooth – you don’t want any lumps of powder in there!
STEP 3. POKE AND POUR
With a wooden spoon handle, poke holes in the cake. If you have any little ones running around the house, they’ll absolutely love helping you with this! Once all the holes have been poked, pour the pudding evenly over the cake. Gently push the pudding into the holes to make sure they’re filled.
STEP 4. CHILL
After spreading the pudding on the top of the cake, allow the banana pudding poke cake to chill in the refrigerator for about 2 hours.
STEP 5. ADD THE TOPPINGS
Once the cake has totally chilled, add the whipped topping! Make sure to spread it evenly across the banana cream cake. Then, crush up the vanilla wafers and sprinkle them across the top of the cake. Add as much or as little as you’d like!
HOW LONG WILL THIS CAKE STAY FRESH?
In an airtight container in the fridge, this delicious banana cake will stay fresh for up to 4 days! It’s truly the gift that keeps on giving.
If you want to freeze the cake and enjoy it at a later date, this is a great make ahead recipe to use. Keep the cake in an airtight container and place it in the freezer, where it will stay fresh for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy it, simply pop it in the fridge to thaw for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
TIPS FOR POKING THE HOLES
- As previously mentioned, use the handle of a wooden spoon! It’s the easiest way to guarantee all of the holes will be the same size. There’s really no need to use any fancy tools… my trusty wooden spoon does the trick time and time again.
- So, what should you do with all the cake you remove when poking the holes?! It’s a shame to toss all of that yellow cake away. For added texture, you can crumble the cake mix with the vanilla wafers and sprinkle it on top of the whipped cream!
Skip all of the crazy complicated recipes – this banana pudding poke cake is easy to make, and just as delicious as any other banana cake around. Don’t believe me? Make one of these delicious treats yourself!
MORE BANANA RECIPES I LOVE:
- Easy Banana Bread
- Old Fashioned Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Banana Chocolate Granola Muffins
- Peanut Butter & Banana Oatmeal Bars
Banana Pudding Poke Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix - prepared as directed on box
- 2 3.4 oz packages instant banana pudding
- 4 cups milk
- 1 8 oz tub whipped topping (COOL WHIP)
- 10 vanilla wafers crushed
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions for a 9x13 cake.
- Allow the cake to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes once it comes out of the oven.
- In a bowl, prepare pudding mixture with the pudding and 4 cups of milk.
- Then, with a wooden spoon handle, poke holes in the cake.
- Pour pudding over cake - pushing the pudding into the holes and over the entire cake.
- Chill the cake for about 2 hours before adding the whipped topping.
- Once the cake has chilled, add the whipped topping.
- Before you serve the cake, crush the vanilla wafers and add to the top of the cake.