These Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries are crispy, perfectly seasoned, and oh-so-easy to make! Kids love them, and you will too!
From air fryer chicken to air fryer Brussels sprouts, we love using this convenient kitchen appliance to make dinners faster and healthier and we’re always looking for new air fryer recipes. If you’ve tackled air fryer French fries and you’re looking to change up your routine, these air fryer sweet potato fries are perfect!
Seasoned with paprika and onion powder, they’re loaded with flavor, and because they’re made in the air fryer, they get crisp on the edges without having to deep fry them in loads of oil. You’ll never make sweet potato fries any other way!
Crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
Sweet potatoes pack in a lot more nutrients than regular Russet potatoes, which means these sweet potato fries are a great way to sneak some extra vitamins and minerals onto your dinner table. Kids love them (I mean, they’re sweet—who doesn’t love sweet potato fries?!), and they’re easy enough to make that you can whip them up for a weeknight meal.
You’ll also love that this recipe for air fryer sweet potato fries is totally customizable! Swap the spices for fresh herbs, play up the natural sweetness of sweet potatoes by using cinnamon, or make them extra spicy with a dash of cayenne pepper or Cajun seasoning.
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Sweet potatoes – You can leave the skin on or peel them, depending on your preferences.
- Olive oil – You can use as little as 1 tablespoon of oil or use more. I find the fries slightly crispier and flavorful when using oil but you can use even less for an air fryer.
- Onion powder – You can use garlic powder if you prefer!
- Sweet paprika
- Black pepper
How to Make Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
Preheat your air fryer to 375ºF according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Cut the sweet potatoes into ¼ inch wide slices and then each slice into ¼ inch wide strips.
2. Season the Fries
In a large bowl, combine the fries, oil, and spices. Toss to coat, massaging the potatoes to ensure they are coated entirely.
3. Cook the Fries
Place the fries in the air fryer basket in a single layer and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until they’re cooked through and crispy, shaking the basket halfway through a couple of times to ensure even frying.
Remove the fries from the air fryer basket, season with additional salt, and serve.
How to Store Leftover Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in a fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat on 375ºF for 3 to 5 minutes or until heated through.
These air fryer sweet potato fries would be a great side dish with:
- All-American Burger Recipe
- Fish Tacos With Jalapeno Mango Slaw
- Fried Chicken
- Dr. Pepper Crock Pot Pulled Pork
If your sweet potato fries are soggy, it’s likely because they were overcrowded in the air fryer basket. Be sure to cook them in batches, and don’t overcrowd them. Additionally, make sure to shake the basket a few times during cooking so that they cook evenly.
Soaking sweet potatoes is not necessary like it is with regular potatoes. We tested this recipe with and without soaking and found no difference!
Yes, air fryer sweet potato fries are a healthier alternative to traditional fried potatoes. They are cooked in less oil, and as a result, are lower in calories and fat. In addition, sweet potatoes are more nutrient-dense than white potatoes.
Cooking frozen sweet potato fries in an air fryer is easy. Simply place the frozen fries in the basket, and cook according to the recipe instructions. No need to thaw them first!
I love the Ultenic K10 Air Fryer 5.3QT, Smart APP Control! It’s easy to use and has amazing features!
1. 11 most used presets for chips, cake, bacon, bread, pizza, chicken, fish, vegetables, shrimps, steak and desserts. The one-touch control panel is designed to make cooking simple.
2. Moreover, the K10 air fryer is compatible with voice control, both Amazon Alexa and Google Home to free your hands.
3. Also, hundreds of recipes in our smart APP can give you inspiration for every meal.
4. After all the cooking is done, just place the baskets and plates in the dishwasher for quick and easy cleanup
More Potato Recipes
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 large sweet potatoes washed and scrubbed well (unpeeled or peeled)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil or more if needed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 tsp salt for 1 potato
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat air fryer to 375 F according to manufacturer instructions. (Mine was 375 F for 5 minutes)
- Wash and dry the potatoes. Cut them in ¼ inch wide strips and then each strip into ¼ inch wide strips. (You can soak the potatoes in water for 30 or 2 hours, but I didn’t find much of a difference in soaking sweet potato fries at all)
- In a large bowl combine potato strips, oil, and spices (or you can use a zip lock bag for this). Massage the potatoes to ensure they are coated entirely. However you can add more seasonings once fries are cooked.
- Once the air fryer is preheated, transfer the fries into the basket and air fry for 15-20 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through a couple of times to ensure even frying.
- The fries should be crispy and cooked through. If by this time fries are not crispy, fry for more minutes. If fries are cut too thin or the ends are too narrow they will get charred rather quickly. The end result: the exterior of fries are slightly browned and crispy, softer potato texture on the inside.
- Once fried, sprinkle the fries with more salt. Enjoy with dipping sauces.
- You can use as little as 1 tablespoons of oil or use a little more. I find the fries slightly crispier and flavorful when using oil but you can use even less for an air fryer.
- Season the fries with salt before air frying but add more salt (preferably sea salt) after frying. More flavor and fries soak up the salty flavor better after frying.
- Fried food generally doesn’t reheat well. But with air fryer you can reheat them once if they got cold (on the same day of making). Reheat in preheated air fryer at 375F for 3-5 minutes.