Air fryer sweet potato chips are deliciously crispy, easy to customize, and healthier than the ones you buy at the grocery store!
Pin this recipe now to save it for laterPin Recipe
Store-bought sweet potato chips cost a pretty penny at the supermarket. Are they made with gold? Fried in tallow from the finest wagyu beef? Who knows! But if you find yourself throwing a bag of sweet potato chips in your cart week after week, you’re going to love these air fryer sweet potato chips.
Now you can make sweet potato chips in the air fryer for a fraction of the price!
Healthy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips Recipe
Making sweet potato chips with an air fryer is simple. First, wash and peel your sweet potatoes and cut them into thin slices. You can use a mandoline slicer to get the chips extra thin. Soak ‘em to get rid of the excess starch, season ‘em, and air fry ’em to crispy perfection.
These air fryer sweet potato chips are healthier than deep-fried chips, with the air fryer giving them a crunchy texture without all the oil. The best part? You can customize your chips with different seasonings and flavors and make them your own!
Air fryer sweet potato chips are great for a casual afternoon snack, but pair them with chip dip and other crowd-pleasers like pretzel bites and meatball sliders for a game day spread or appetizer table worthy of any get-together!
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Sweet potato – Any kind you like! Orange varieties are sweeter than other colors.
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper – Use more or less, according to your taste preferences.
- Paprika – Sweet paprika has a mild flavor, or use smoked paprika for some smokiness.
- Cayenne pepper – Again, you can adjust the amount to make your air fryer sweet potato chips spicier or milder.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Add garlic powder or onion powder for some savory flavor.
- After coating the chips in cooking spray, add a sprinkle of dried thyme or rosemary.
- Make sweet sweet potato chips with a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar.
How to Make Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips
- Prepare: Slice the sweet potato into ⅛-inch rounds.
- Soak: Place the sweet potatoes in a bowl of cool water and let them sit for 20 minutes. Drain and pat dry with a paper towel; the dryer they are, the crispier they’ll be!
- Preheat the air fryer: Preheat your air fryer to 350ºF.
- Season: In a mixing bowl, toss the sweet potato slices with the olive oil to coat evenly. Add the salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne and toss to coat.
- Air fry: Spray the inside of the air fryer basket with the cooking spray. Line the bottom with sweet potato slices and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Transfer cooked chips to a paper towel-lined plate to cool. Repeat with the remaining sweet potato slices.
Use a mandoline slicer to get thin, even chips that all finish air frying at the same time.
How to Store Leftover Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips
Air fryer sweet potato chips are best enjoyed right away, but you can store any leftovers for a few days. Once cooled, store leftover chips in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Air fryer sweet potato chips make a great appetizer, snack, or side dish. Serve them with burgers or hot dogs, tuck them into school lunches, or pair them with dips like Million Dollar Dip or Cranberry Jalapeño Dip.
Yes! Air fryers are ideal for making crunchy and delicious sweet potato chips. They’re much healthier than deep-fried chips because they don’t require all that oil, plus you can customize the flavor with different seasonings.
Soggy chips are usually the result of too much moisture. Make sure to pat your potato slices dry before air frying, and avoid overcrowding the basket so they have enough space to cook evenly.
Sweet potato chips usually take 15 to 20 minutes in an air fryer set at 350ºF. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to cook them in batches.
Yes, soaking the sweet potato slices in cold water for 20 minutes helps release excess starch and makes them crispier when air fried.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Using a mandolin slicer, cut the sweet potato into slices about ⅛” thick.
- Place in a bowl of cool water and let sit for 20 minutes to release the excess starch. Drain and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Preheat an air fryer to 350 F.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the potato slices with the olive oil to coat evenly. Sprinkle over the salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne and mix together.
- Spray the inside of the air fryer basket with the cooking spray. Line the bottom with an even layer of the potato slices and cook for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown. Remove and place on a paper towel lined plate to cool. Depending on the size of your air fryer, it may be necessary to cook these in multiple batches.