These Zucchini Carrot Bars are the best way to eat your veggies! The tangy Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting is the perfect finishing touch!
These delicious and mostly good for you bars are a great way to start your week off right! Using fresh ingredients, you can feel good about having these Zucchini Carrot Bars for breakfast, snack or even a dessert!
They’re so good that even the kids love them and never know that they’re packed full of good stuff – including lots of veggies! Completely homemade with whole wheat flour, honey, zucchini and carrots, they’re better than a boxed mix any day!
Easy Zucchini Carrot Bars Recipe
You could easily add your own mix of veggies to these bars for what you have on hand! Make sure to try these Zucchini Carrot Bars with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting soon! You’re gonna love them! Make sure to PIN this recipe to share with your friends, too!
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Brown sugar – I recommend using light brown sugar for this recipe because it has a milder flavor.
- Eggs – It’s best if you let them come to room temperature before you start the recipe.
- Canola oil or coconut oil
- Shredded carrot
- Shredded zucchini
- White whole wheat unbleached flour – I use King Arthur’s.
- Baking powder
- Ground ginger
- Baking soda
- Cream cheese frosting – Add the zest of one lemon to my homemade cream cheese frosting recipe.
How to Make Zucchini Carrot Bars
Preheat your oven to 350ºF and grease a 13×9-inch pan.
2. Combine the Wet Ingredients
In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, use the whisk attachment to combine the eggs, brown sugar, oil, honey, and vanilla. Fold in the shredded carrot and zucchini.
3. Combine the Dry Ingredients
Whisk together the flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, and baking soda in another bowl.
4. Mix Wet and Dry Ingredients
Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture 1/2 cup at a time; mix until just combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake the bars for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Cool and Frost
Let the bars cool in the pan on a wire rack. Once the bars are completely cool, cut them into squares and pipe the cream cheese frosting onto them.
How to Store Zucchini Carrot Bars
Place the Zucchini Carrot Bars in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days. They can also be frozen for up to 3 months; to keep the frosting intact, freeze the bars on a parchment-lined baking sheet, then once the frosting is solid, transfer the bars to a storage container or freezer bag. Let them thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
Can I use something other than cream cheese frosting for Zucchini Carrot Bars?
Absolutely! A classic vanilla buttercream will work well, or even chocolate frosting.
Can summer squash be substituted for zucchini in these bars?
Absolutely! Yellow summer squash has a similar flavor and texture to zucchini, so you can use that instead.
Do Zucchini Carrot Bars have nuts in them?
This recipe doesn’t have nuts, but if you’d like, you can add chopped walnuts to the batter or scatter them over the frosting for a garnish.
More Dessert Bars to Try
- Sugar Cookie Bars
- Copycat Starbucks Cranberry Bliss Bars
- 7-Layer Magic Cookie Bars
- Sopapilla Cheesecake Bars
Zucchini Carrot Bars with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup canola oil OR coconut oil – both are equally good!
- 1/4 cup local honey – store bought is OK too
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups shredded carrot
- 1 1/4 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat unbleached flour – I use King Arthur's
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, blend with wisk attachment -eggs, brown sugar, oil, honey, and vanilla.
- Fold in the carrot and zucchini.
- In another bowl combine add the flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon and baking soda. Mix until just blended.
- Add by 1/2 cup at a time flour mixture to the wet mixture. Blend just until combined.
- Spread batter into a 13×9 inch pan.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Pipe the frosting over cut bars.
*recipe adapted from a Pinterest Pin from Real Mom Kitchen