Irresistible Christmas Crack is an easy holiday treat made with saltine crackers, caramel sauce, and melted chocolate chips! Top it with red and green M&Ms and sprinkles for an extra dose of holiday cheer!
Pin this recipe now to save it for laterPin Recipe
This Christmas Crack recipe is a festive take on classic Old-Fashioned Saltine Cracker Toffee. Part of how it got its name, is due to the fact that it’s completely addicting! It’s also made with just four ingredients, meaning it’s unbelievably easy.
A layer of saltine crackers creates a crisp base. Then, it’s coated with caramel sauce and melted chocolate chips for the perfect combination of sweet and salty flavors. All that’s left to do is add the red and green M&Ms and holiday sprinkles for a bit of festive cheer! If you want to get even more creative, you can also include a sprinkle of chopped nuts, crushed candy canes, or any other toppings you know your family will love.
Christmas Crack Recipe
Great to make ahead of time, this Christmas crack recipe stores well on the countertop and in the fridge. It even makes a scrumptious treat when frozen! Add it to your Hot Chocolate Bar alongside your favorite Christmas cookies and no-bake holiday desserts for holiday parties. Or, gift bite-sized pieces in clear bags with decorative ribbons to family and friends.
Ingredients for Christmas Crack
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Saltine crackers – Saltine crackers are the best for Christmas crack, but you can use Ritz crackers if preferred.
- Butter – I always use unsalted butter for desserts.
- Brown sugar – Use light brown sugar or dark brown sugar, depending on how rich you want your caramel, and pack it tightly in a measuring cup.
- Chocolate chips – I use semi-sweet chocolate chips, but you could also use milk chocolate chips, white chocolate, or dark chocolate. Feel free to add more for extra decadence. The better the quality of chocolate chips, the better the results!
- M&M’s – The red and green M&M’s are perfect for Christmas. I also like to include a good dash of holiday sprinkles, but they’re optional.
- Ritz crackers or even Graham crackers can be used instead of the Saltine crackers.
- Feel free to mix and match all your favorite toppings to make this recipe your own! Shredded coconut, pretzel pieces, chopped nuts, sanding sugar, crushed candy canes, and candy pieces all look and taste great.
- Use this recipe as inspiration for different holidays and party themes by using different colored candy and sprinkles.
How to Make Christmas Crack
- Preheat: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line with Foil or Parchment Paper: Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper, and arrange a single layer of saltines on the cookie sheet. Break a few crackers if you need to so that they fit snuggly.
- Boil on the Stove: Bring the butter and sugar to a rolling boil in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring continuously. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and allow the mixture to sit for three to four minutes without stirring.
- Bake: Pour the caramel sauce evenly over the saltines, using a rubber spatula to assist with an even distribution. Bake for 5-7 minutes, or until the caramel bubbles and is darkened.
- Add Chocolate Chips: Remove the pan from the oven, and sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the top. Let it sit for a few minutes to soften. When the chocolate chips begin to melt, gently spread the chocolate over the caramel with a spatula. Top with the M&M’s and holiday sprinkles while the chocolate is still warm.
- Chill: Allow the pan to cool at room temperature for 15 minutes. Then, transfer it to the fridge for 45 minutes to an hour or until the ingredients have hardened and set.
- Serve: Once set, lift the Christmas crack out of the pan, and transfer it to a cutting board. Use your hands or a knife to break it into bite-sized pieces.
Leave some of the foil or parchment paper hanging over the edges of the baking sheet. Then, you’ll have something to grab onto, making it easy to lift and transfer the Christmas crack for serving!
How to Store Christmas Crack
Store this homemade Christmas crack recipe in an airtight container on the countertop for 4-5 days or in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. It tastes great cold and at room temperature!
I like to line my pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper to prevent the Christmas crack from sticking to the pan. You could also spray the surface of the foil or parchment paper with cooking spray.
Absolutely! Frozen Christmas crack is incredibly delicious. Store it in an airtight container, with sheets of parchment paper between the layers to prevent sticking, for up to 1 month.
This holiday sweet treat is called Christmas “Crack,” because it’s made with crackers. It also makes a cracking sound when cut or broken into bite-sized pieces, and it’s totally irresistible!
- 13×9 inch baking pan
- Parchment paper or aluminum foil
- Stirring spoon
- 1 sleeve of saltine crackers about 40-45 crackers
- 1 cup unsalted butter about 2 sticks
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup red and green M&M's or your favorite holiday sprinkles – optional
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a 13×9 inch (33×23 cm) baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Make sure to leave some overhang for easy removal.
- Arrange the saltine crackers in a single layer on the prepared baking pan. You may need to break a few crackers to make them fit evenly.1 sleeve of saltine crackers
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and brown sugar together. Stir constantly until the mixture comes to a boil. Once it starts boiling, reduce the heat slightly and let it simmer for 3-4 minutes without stirring. The mixture should thicken and become a caramel-like sauce.1 cup unsalted butter, 1 cup brown sugar
- Carefully pour the caramel sauce over the saltine crackers, ensuring they are evenly coated. Use a spatula to spread the sauce if needed.
- Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for 5-7 minutes, or until the caramel is bubbling and slightly darkened.
- Remove the pan from the oven and immediately sprinkle the chocolate chips over the hot caramel-covered crackers. Let them sit for a few minutes to soften.2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Use a spatula to spread the melted chocolate evenly over the crackers.
- If desired, sprinkle the M&M's or holiday sprinkles over the melted chocolate while it's still warm.1 cup red and green M&M's
- Allow the pan to cool at room temperature for about 15 minutes. Refrigerate the pan for at least 45 minutes to an hour, or until the chocolate has set.
- Once the Christmas crack is completely cooled and the chocolate is firm, use the parchment paper or foil overhang to lift it out of the pan. Place it on a cutting board and break it into bite-sized pieces.
- Christmas Crack is a delicious and addictive holiday treat that combines sweet and salty flavors in every bite.
- Feel free to customize the toppings with your favorite holiday candies or sprinkles to make it extra festive.
- Store any leftover Christmas crack in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to one week. It also makes a great homemade gift for friends and family during the holiday season.