Christmas baking time is here! It truly is the most wonderful time of the year for those of us who love to bake and those of us who love to eat.
I just happen to be BOTH! I love sharing happiness on a plate with loved ones and at Christmastime, I get to share a lot of lovin’!
Chocolate Candy Cane Cupcakes
Just last night we had a little get together for our small group at church. I brought the current #1 post AND recipe on my blog – Buffalo Chicken Dip. Seriously. That recipe is rockin’ my site at over 191K shares! You MUST try it if you haven’t.
I also brought a fancy little cupcake that was equally delicious in a sugary and sweet kinda way. This Chocolate Candy Cane Cupcake was to DIE for! Can you say YUM?! This is it! It’s like a little bite of Christmas in your mouth. AND, it was super easy to make.
I’ve shared before how I love to bake from scratch, but I also love to use a good mix if I’m in a hurry or want the decorations or frosting to be the star.
And, that’s what I did this time, but I doctored up a cake mix and didn’t just use it as stated on the box. So, it was kinda semi-homemade
Just add a little extra flour, sugar, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla plus the box cake mix for this cupcake you’ll have one amazing treat!
Then for the frosting, I used my favorite buttercream recipe infused with doTERRA’s Peppermint Essential Oil for flavor and piped a swirl of frosting on top with a Wilton 1M tip. The essential oil gave it a nice clean, “candy cane-ish” flavor. (you could use peppermint extract too!)
Then to top it off, I crushed up candy canes and sprinkled them over the top. YUMMMMMYYYY! This was OH SO GOOD!
So, if you have somewhere to take a dessert to OR if you want to just keep these babies for yourself – make a batch up this Christmas! It makes 36 cupcakes, so you might want to share or you can always freeze them.
If you’re like me…just leave them on the counter and grab one occasionally to give yourself a little pick-me-up.
Not so good for your waist but definitely good for the soul!
Chocolate Candy Cane Cupcakes
- One 18.25-ounce box of chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 large eggs
- Prepare the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 325°F. Place cupcake liners in cupcake pans (you'll need approx. 36).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cake mix, flour, sugar and salt. Add the remaining ingredients and beat with hand mixer for 2 minutes, or until well blended.
- Use ice cream scoop to fill prepared cupcake tins- fill about 3/4 full. Bake about 18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting with recipe below.
Peppermint Butter Cream Frosting
- 2 room temperature sticks of butter
- 4 cups of powdered sugar
- 2 TBS milk or heavy cream
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 1 pinch of salt
- 10 drops of doTERRA Peppermint Essential Oil OR 1 tsp of peppermint extract
- crushed up candy canes
- Cream the butter in a mixer with the paddle attachment until smooth
- Add in the powdered sugar one cup at a time
- Next add in the milk, vanilla and salt
- Beat on high until light and fluffy - about 3 minutes.
- Add in the essential or extract and beat for another minute
- Add the frosting to a piping bag with a 1M Swirl tip and pipe on top of the cupcakes
- Add crushed up candy canes on top to your liking
- NOTE: this recipe is for 12-24 cupcakes if you pipe on the frosting - double it for the entire batch made above