Chocolate Zucchini Bread is pretty much what you get when you cross classic zucchini bread with chocolate cake. If that doesn’t win you over, I don’t know what will! This Chocolate Zucchini Bread recipe is just as simple as the original, and since the chocolate flavor comes from cocoa powder, there’s no fussing with melting chocolate or anything like that. Eating your veggies never tasted so good!
A Favorite Quick Bread Recipe
Quick bread is my favorite kind of bread—and not just because most quick bread recipes are sweet! Unlike traditional bread, which is leavened with yeast, a quick bread is usually leavened with baking powder, baking soda and an acid, or baking powder and baking soda. Skipping the yeast and kneading definitely makes the process of making bread a lot easier!
Technically speaking, even cakes, brownies, muffins, and pancakes are considered quick breads, but most people mean banana bread, zucchini bread, and pumpkin bread when they’re talking about quick breads. (My Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Bread recipe is a quick bread too!)
Ingredients + Variations
Here’s what you need to make Chocolate Zucchini Bread:
- All-purpose flour – I haven’t tried gluten-free flour or whole wheat flour for this recipe, so I don’t recommend switching things up unless you’re okay with the possibility that it might not work out!
- Cocoa powder – For alllll that chocolatey goodness.
- Baking soda – The first half of what makes this a quick bread.
- Baking powder –The second half!
- Ground cinnamon – There’s a hefty amount of cinnamon in this recipe, which is divine when combined with cocoa.
- Eggs – I recommend letting them sit at room temperature to warm up a bit before you start baking.
- Vegetable oil – You can use canola oil as an alternative.
- White sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Grated zucchini – Scoop out the seeds if you’re using a mature zucchini with large seeds.
- Chopped walnuts – Not into nuts? Try chocolate chips instead for a Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread. (Insert heart-eye emoji here!)
How to Make Zucchini Bread
Preheat your oven to 325ºF, then grease and flour two 8×4-inch bread pans.
2. Combine Dry Ingredients
In a medium bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
3. Make the Batter
Beat the eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Next, pour the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients and beat until everything is incorporated. Stir in the zucchini and nuts, then pour the batter into the prepared bread pans.
Transfer the bread pans to the oven and bake the Chocolate Zucchini Bread for 40 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool the pans on a wire rack for 20 minutes, then carefully remove the bread from the pans and let the loaves finish cooling on the racks.
How long does Chocolate Zucchini Bread last?
It doesn’t last very long in my household, because my kids eat it up! But if you don’t have that problem, then you can keep the bread on the kitchen counter for 3 to 4 days, or freeze it for a month or two. Either way, wrap the bread tightly with plastic wrap when you’re storing it.
Does Chocolate Zucchini Bread need to be refrigerated?
Chocolate Zucchini Bread doesn’t need to be refrigerated, but you can refrigerate it if you like. It will last a little bit longer in the fridge than on the countertop, but I prefer storing at room temperature because I think it tastes better.
How do you prepare zucchini for bread?
You can use a box grater to grate the zucchini or the shredding attachment of your food processor.
More Recipes For Chocolate Lovers
Everything is better with chocolate! If you’re a fan too, give these recipes a try:
- Chocolate Cream Pie
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Buckeyes
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Delight
- Chocolate Cheesecake Cake
- Heath Bar Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 ¼ cups white sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Sift cocoa, flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.