Chicken Divan is an elevated take on comfort food, with chicken and broccoli cooked in a creamy sauce and topped with a layer of crispy, buttery breadcrumbs!
Looking for a delicious chicken dish to make for dinner? This Chicken Divan recipe is perfect! The recipe is easy enough that you can make it for a weeknight meal, but impressive enough that you can also make it when you’re having company over for dinner. It’s simple to prepare and everyone will love it. Plus, it’s a great way to use up leftover chicken. Win!
Easy Chicken Divan Recipe
There are a lot of reasons to love Chicken Divan. First of all, it’s packed with flavor. The chicken is cooked in a super creamy sauce, and the broccoli adds a nice, tender-crisp texture. But what really makes Chicken Divan so good is that it’s so easy to whip up. You can have it on the table in under an hour, and leftovers reheat well if you have any—which is doubtful!
You can serve this Chicken Divan as-is, or pair it with Instant Pot Rice or egg noodles to soak up all the creamy sauce! If you skip the rice or noodles, have it with a side of homemade biscuits or freshly baked French bread!
(Looking for more easy chicken dinners? Check out my Chicken and Dumpling Casserole too!)
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Broccoli – I recommend using fresh broccoli, but frozen works too!
- Cooked chicken breast – Rotisserie chicken is a great time saver, or use leftover Baked Chicken Breasts.
- Condensed cream of broccoli soup
- Sour cream
- Whole milk
- Cheddar cheese
- Unsalted butter
How to Make Chicken Divan
Preheat your oven to 450ºF and lightly grease a 13×9 baking dish.
2. Cook the Broccoli
Drop the broccoli florets in a pot of salted boiling water for about 5 minutes, then drain well.
Place the broccoli in an even layer in the prepared baking dish, then top this with the chicken. Stir together the milk and soup in a bowl, then pour this over the chicken and broccoli. Top the soup with a layer of cheese.
4. Top with Breadcrumbs
Melt the butter in a small saucepan set over medium-high heat. Add the breadcrumbs and toast for 3-4 minutes, then sprinkle them onto the Chicken Divan.
Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Chicken Divan
You can store leftovers wrapped in the casserole dish, or transfer them to an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 3 days and reheat in a 350ºF oven or in the microwave. You can also freeze Chicken Divan for up to 2 months, then thaw it in the refrigerator before reheating.
Why is it called Chicken Divan?
Chicken Divan was named after the restaurant where it was invested, the Divan Parisien Restaurant in the Chatham Hotel in New York City.
What side dishes go with Chicken Divan?
Rice, noodles, mashed potatoes, biscuits, dinner rolls, and simple salads are all great for pairing with Chicken Divan.
Can I make Chicken Divan with a vegetable other than broccoli?
Sure! You can make Chicken Divan with cauliflower, peas, green beans, mushrooms—feel free to get creative! While broccoli is the traditional choice, you don’t have to stick with tradition here.
Can I use cream of mushroom soup instead of cream of broccoli?
Yes, cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup are both common choices for Chicken Divan!
More Easy Chicken Dinners
- Creamy Lemon Chicken Pasta
- Easy Chicken Tetrazzini
- Crispy Chicken Strips
- The Easiest Baked Cheesy Chicken with Mushrooms
- 1 lb fresh broccoli cut into florets (can substitute frozen broccoli)
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast cubed (rotisserie chicken is a great time saver!)
- 1 10.75 oz can of condensed cream of broccoli soup
- ½ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- ½ cup cheddar cheese grated
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Lightly grease a 13×9 inch baking dish and set aside.
- Blanch broccoli in boiling salted water until cooked, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Place the cooked broccoli in an even layer in an oven-proof baking dish. Top with the cubed cooked chicken.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the milk and cream of broccoli soup and stir to combine.
- Pour soup mixture over the broccoli and chicken using a spatula to smooth. Top with grated cheese.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the breadcrumbs and toast for 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top of the baking dish.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned.