This easy cheeseburger tater tot casserole is an entire meal in one pan! It’s made with savory ground beef, lots of cheese, and golden brown tater tots, so it’s sure to be a hit with the whole family.
Pin this recipe now to save it for laterPin Recipe
There are a few secret ingredients in this tater tot casserole recipe that you won’t find in any other everyday casserole recipe. For example, this cheeseburger tater tot casserole recipe is loaded with salty bacon bits that really make the casserole filling irresistible. Who can say no to bacon?!
Between the salty bacon, the juicy ground beef, the rich sour cream and the crispy potatoes, this casserole is perfectly designed to make your whole family come running to the dinner table.
Oh, and I can’t forget the cheese! The whole casserole is covered in gooey melted cheese that is just like icing on the cake…or, in this case, cheese on the casserole!
Easy Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
While the flavors in this bacon cheeseburger casserole recipe are what make the dish so appealing to my family, the main reason I love this casserole is that it is so easy to make. I love when I can make an entire meal in under 15 minutes. It makes weeknights so much more enjoyable and stress-free!
Making this cheeseburger casserole is as simple as cooking some ground beef, mixing in the seasonings, and pouring the mixture into a casserole dish. Line up some frozen tater tots on top of the casserole, add a little cheese and the meal is done. You can let the oven do the rest of the work!
Does this sound easy to you? It definitely is! So let’s talk about the details behind this amazing bacon cheeseburger tater tot casserole so you can start cooking. (PS – Make sure you try my Loaded Tater Tots too!)
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Ground beef – I like to use 85/15 ground beef for casseroles. This means that the meat is 85% meat and 15% fat. I find this is the perfect amount of fat for casseroles. The meat is nice and juicy, but not too greasy.
- Olive oil
- Onion – You can use red onion, yellow onion, or white. I typically just grab whatever I have in the house!
- Bacon bits – You can buy pre-cooked crumbled bacon in most grocery stores, which tastes great and is very convenient. You can also cook and crumble your own bacon.
- Sour Cream – Use regular sour cream or low fat sour cream. This is one ingredient where less fat is okay and the taste will still be good. You can cut a few calories by choosing the reduced-fat version.
- Ground black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Shredded cheddar cheese – I like to use sharp cheddar cheese which has the strongest flavor.
- Frozen tater tots – The tater tots can be added to the top of the casserole straight from the freezer. No need to pre-cook or thaw, just pop them right on!
- Use shredded Monterey Jack cheese, Mexican blend shredded cheese, or even shredded mozzarella in place of cheddar.
- Replace the ground beef with ground turkey or ground chicken. You can even use a mix of ground meats if you’d like.
- Replace the ketchup with barbecue sauce or buffalo wing sauce for a new flavor. This is a really easy way to make a whole new, exciting tater tot casserole recipe!
How to Make Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
- Cook the beef: Add the olive oil to a large skillet, along with the ground beef and onions. Cook the beef over medium heat until it is no longer pink. Try to break up the beef as it cooks, making nice crumbles.
- Add the filling ingredients: Once the beef is cooked, you can add the bacon, sour cream, ketchup, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to the skillet and stir everything together. Add some of the cheese and stir it in until it melts. Then, pour the cheeseburger casserole filling into a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Add the toppings: Layer the frozen tater tots on top of the ground beef filling. You want to cover every inch of the cheeseburger filling with tater tots.
- Bake the cheeseburger casserole: Bake the casserole in a 400ºF oven for 30 minutes. The filling will be bubbling around the edges. Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle the whole top of the casserole with the remaining cheese. Pop the casserole dish back into the oven for 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Enjoy!: Scoop the warm cheeseburger tater tot casserole onto plates and enjoy while warm.
You can easily turn this tater tot casserole into a one pan recipe. Cook the casserole filling in a large cast iron skillet. Spread the filling across the skillet and then add the tater tots right on top. Place the skillet in the oven to bake the casserole.
How to Store Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
Once the casserole is baked and cooled, I like to wrap the whole dish in plastic wrap and store the leftovers in the fridge. When you want to reheat the cheeseburger casserole, you can simply unwrap it and pop the whole pan back in the oven to reheat. This will re-crisp the tater tots and make the casserole taste nice and fresh.
You can also store the cheeseburger tater tot casserole in an airtight container and keep this in the fridge. You can place the container in the microwave to reheat for about 1-2 minutes. This is a fast way to reheat your cheeseburger tater tot casserole.
This cheeseburger tater tot casserole is super hearty on its own. Serve it with a side salad, some roasted veggies, or a simple soup appetizer. A lighter side dish is all you need to make your meal complete.
Tater tot casserole makes great leftovers. I recommend heating any leftovers in the oven to make the tater tots nice and crispy again.
You can make this tater tot casserole, wrap it tightly, and freeze it. It will keep in the freezer for about two months. Anytime you’d like to enjoy this casserole, simply take it out of the freezer, unwrap it and pop it in a preheated 400ºF oven. Bake the frozen casserole for about 20 minutes to warm it all the way through. It will taste as good as the day it was made!
Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup bacon bits
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 24 ounces frozen tater tots
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF and grease a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium high heat.
- Add the ground beef and diced onions to the hot skillet. Cook until the ground beef is no longer pink. This will take about 10 minutes. While the beef is cooking, chop it up with a spatula to make small crumbles.
- Pour any excess grease out of the skillet then return the pan to the stovetop.
- Add the bacon bits, sour cream, ketchup, salt, pepper and garlic powder to the skillet and stir, coating the beef in the seasonings.
- Remove the skillet from the stovetop and stir in two cups of the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Pour the saucy ground beef into the prepared casserole pan and spread it evenly in the pan.
- Spread the tater tots across the top of the casserole in an even, single layer.
- Bake the casserole in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven and sprinkle the top with the remaining 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Return the casserole dish to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes to melt the cheese. The cheese should be just starting to brown.
- Let the casserole cool for about 10 minutes then scoop and serve!