This Homemade Old Fashioned Banana Cake Recipe is the most flavorful moist cake that is topped with easy cream cheese frosting. The perfect way to use up overripe bananas!
This banana cake is a delicious twist on banana bread or Banana Muffins! Moist Banana Cake is perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It’s a favorite vintage recipe that makes the perfect last minute dessert, too.
Old-Fashioned Banana Cake Recipe
I love a good box cake mix recipe, but this Banana Cake is made from scratch with ingredients you most likely already have in your pantry.
It’s loaded with bananas and is soft, moist, and has the perfect flavor!
Covered with my winning cream cheese frosting, it’s an easy and wonderful old fashioned cake that will have everyone asking for seconds! (my even kids did!) While I love to make this original recipe, you can always alter it to fit your liking and tastes as well.
How To Make This Easy Banana Cake Recipe
I really can’t wait to hear what you think about this vintage banana cake recipe. It’s seriously one of the best banana cake desserts, ever.
I’ve even used this for birthday cakes as well because it’s just that good! This banana bread cake recipe is loaded with flavor and will have everyone wanting more!
One thing to remember about this soft banana cake recipe is that it’s so addictive! Dare I say that this might be the best banana cake recipe, ever!
The next time that you’re craving a moist banana cake recipe, this is the one that you want!
- very ripe bananas – this give the cake a sweet taste
- sugar – white and brown is a wonderful balance
- vegetable oil
- sour cream – to make this cake extra moist
- baking soda
- vanilla extract
Step 1: Preheat the oven
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Step 2: Grease the cake pan
Grease and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
Step 3: Add the bananas
Start by adding the bananas to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mash the bananas with a fork.
Step 4: Add the sugars
Next, add in the granulated sugar, and brown sugar and mix at low speed until combined.
Step 5: Add the eggs
With the mixer still on low, add the oil, eggs, sour cream, and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
Step 6: Whisk the dry ingredients
In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
Step 7: Combine
With the mixer on low, add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture and mix just until combined.
Step 8: Pour the batter into the pan
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Step 9: Let cool
Cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Then turn out onto a cooling rack, and cool completely.
Step 10: Add frosting
Spread the frosting thickly on the top of the cooled cake and decorate with walnut halves.
What size pan to use for baking the cake?
I used a 9 inch round cake pan but an 8 inch round would work too. Either way is perfect for this cake!
Why is my banana cake too moist?
Make sure that you’re following directions or you may not have the ingredients correct. Adding too many bananas can make your cake moist, or not adding in enough flour causes issues, too.
Can you leave banana cake out overnight?
Yes, you can. Just be sure that you store it in an airtight container and keep it out of the air.
The Best Topping for a a Soft Banana Cake
The best thing about this cake is the frosting. I love a good cream cheese frosting on any cake. There’s nothing like the flavor of homemade cream cheese frosting, right?
However, you can definitely leave this cake plain if you’d like.
You could also make a streusel topping or drizzle with chocolate or caramel sauce.
How to Store a Baked Banana Cake
This baked cake will keep a day or two in an airtight container at room temperature or one week in the fridge.
If the cake is frosted, be sure to refrigerate it. Especially if you use the cream cheese frosting.
You can also wrap the unfrosted cake in plastic wrap and place it in a freezer bag if you’d like to freeze it for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to enjoy a slice, just remove it from the freezer and place it on the counter for an hour or so.
This is truly the Best Old Fashioned Banana Cake Recipe ever! It’s soft, sweet with the perfect amount of banana and it’s topped with my favorite cream cheese frosting that is to die for! Make certain to add this to the top of your list of banana recipes to try!
If you love this simple banana recipe, make certain to check out these other delicious desserts!
Old Fashioned Banana Cake
- 3 very ripe bananas mashed
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar lightly packed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Start by adding the bananas to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mash the bananas with a fork.
- Next, add in the granulated sugar, and brown sugar and mix on low speed until combined.
- With the mixer still on low, add the oil, eggs, sour cream, and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- With the mixer on low, add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture and mix just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Then turn out onto a cooling rack, and cool completely.
- Spread the frosting thickly on the top of the cake and decorate with walnut halves.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 stick of REAL butter – slightly softened
- 1 8 oz block of cream cheese – slightly softened
- 4 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 Tbs vanilla extra
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Place the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat on medium speed until fully combined and smooth, about 1 minute.
- Reduce the speed to low, slowly add the powdered sugar mixture, and beat until fully incorporated and smooth, about 3 minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape down the paddle and sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Turn the mixer to medium speed and mix until fully incorporated and smooth, about 3 minutes. Use immediately.
For more amazing recipes, try these next!