This might just be the easiest Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes recipe you’ll ever find! There’s no need to measure out flour, sugar, and spices when you can use a box of spice cake mix and a can of pumpkin to make your own Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting.
If you enjoyed my recipes for Pumpkin Cake and Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins, then you’re going to love this recipe too! Like those fall treats, this easy recipe for Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes starts with a box of spice cake mix.
Start to finish, the recipe takes about 30 minutes to make, which means you can whip them up on a weekday for a school treat, bake sale, or special dessert.
Easy Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes Recipe With Cream Cheese Frosting
Of course, easy isn’t everything when it comes to cupcakes. You also want them to taste good! Like all of my boxed cake mix hacks, you’ll be happy to know that this recipe delivers in the flavor department, too.
It has everything you love about a traditional Pumpkin Spice Cupcake, without the hassle of dirtying up a bunch of measuring cups and getting flour all over the kitchen counter.
With the pumpkin and eggs, these cupcakes have a light, fluffy texture that makes them irresistible. Homemade cream cheese frosting is the perfect finishing touch!
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Spice cake mix – This is the best cake mix for this recipe because of the added spice flavor, but you can always try other options.
- Canned pumpkin – Make sure you buy the plain pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie mix, which comes pre-sweetened and spiced.
- Milk – I always use whole or reduced-fat for baking, not skim.
- Vegetable oil
- Eggs – Leave them on the counter for about 45 minutes before you start the recipe; room temperature eggs hold more air when you beat them, resulting in a lighter texture.
- Cream cheese frosting – I love making this homemade!
- Butternut – Did you know you can use a can of butternut squash puree in place of pumpkin? Here are some other pumpkin puree substitutes you can use in this recipe.
- Frosting – If you’re not a cream cheese frosting fan, buttercream, vanilla, chocolate, or maple will work too.
- Oil – Canola oil or another neutral-flavored oil suitable for baking will work in this Pumpkin Spice Cupcake recipe.
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting
Preheat the oven to 350ºF and place baking cups into 24 standard-size muffin cups.
2. Make the Batter
Beat all of the ingredients except the frosting with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, then medium speed for 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl when needed.
3. Bake the Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
Divide the batter evenly among the 24 cups, then bake the muffins for 19 to 24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Let the cupcakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then carefully remove them and transfer them to a cooling rack. Cool the cupcakes completely before frosting—this should take about 30 minutes.
Frost the cupcakes with the cream cheese frosting and store the cupcakes loosely covered.
- Toppings – Add a sprinkle of pumpkin spice, candied nuts or pepitas, chocolate sprinkles, or seasonal decorations to your cupcakes after you frost them.
- Mix-ins – Chopped walnuts, cinnamon chips, or chocolate chips can be added to the cupcake batter.
Because of the cream cheese frosting, you’ll need to store these Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes in the fridge. They’ll last up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Yes, you can freeze these cupcakes in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw them in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
Nutmeg is a great option to use if you don’t have pumpkin spice!
The toothpick test is going to be the best way to verify that the cupcakes are finished baking. All you need to do is insert a clean toothpick into the center of the cupcake.
If it comes out clean, the cupcakes need to start the cooling process out of the oven.
Wait for the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting them. Warm cupcakes and cream cheese frosting aren’t a good combo!
If you’re looking for more….try these recipes next!
- Baked Apple Cider Donuts
- Pumpkin Bars With Cream Cheese Frosting
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars
- Apple Blondies
- Pumpkin Cookies
- Easy Pumpkin Pie From Scratch
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 1 cup canned pumpkin not pumpkin pie mix
- ½ cup milk
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- cream cheese frosting
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place baking cups in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, pumpkin, milk, oil, and eggs with an electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups (about two-thirds full)..
- Bake 19 to 24 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Frost cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. Optional: sprinkle cupcakes with pumpkin spice seasoning.
- Store loosely covered.