Looking for a simple breakfast recipe? You’re going to love this Overnight Baked French Toast Casserole. Made with less than 10 simple ingredients, this is one of the best ways to enjoy french toast.
This easy make-ahead meal can be ready and waiting for you to pop in the oven in the morning.
Using store-bought French bread makes this recipe a breeze! And once everyone in the house smells that sweet mixture of cinnamon and brown sugar, they’re going to come trampling down the stairs!
Eggs, Cinnamon & Brown Sugar
The sweet flavors of this overnight treat are too good to pass up. And once you top it with your choice of fresh fruit, you just might be gearing up for round two as well.
Since you’re using a loaf of French bread, the prep time is very minimal on this simple morning breakfast recipe. But if you’re wanting to add in some extra work, you can make up your own homemade bread and use that instead.
Make sure to top this freshly baked casserole with some yummy powdered sugar!
INGREDIENTS + VARIATIONS
Having the French bread for this casserole dish provides a firm bread that holds up well in this casserole. Cut it thick so that it really gives a good bite, too.
The added cream gives this dish a touch of rich flavoring and mixes perfectly with the eggs. The bread soaks it up too which is why you want to be certain to cut your bread slices thick.
Easy breakfast recipes
We love to eat breakfast at any time of the day so this treat is always on our radar. Make certain to also try out our Blueberry Pancakes as well! And these Nutella Fruit Waffles are ALWAYS a good idea!
HOW TO MAKE OVERNIGHT BAKED FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE
Coat a 13X9 baking dish with softened butter.
2. Slice bread
Slice the bread and arrange in a baking dish in two rolls, overlapping if needed.
3. Beat eggs
In a large bowl, beat the eggs.
Whish in the heavy cream, milk, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, and cinnamon.
Pour the milk mixture over the bread, pressing down lightly to make certain that it covers it.
Cover with plastic and place in the fridge overnight.
Remove from the fridge 30 minutes prior to baking.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes or until browned and the inside is set.
Serve with powdered sugar, maple syrup, or fresh fruit.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Letting each person decide their toppings is part of the fun! Have toppings set out so that they can choose and make each bite their very own.
- If you have leftovers, just cover and store in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat it is a breeze and it still tastes great the day after!
What type of fresh fruit would go well with this french toast breakfast casserole?
You can’t go wrong with fresh fruit but some of my favorites are blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries. And if you’re feeling crazy, you can even do them all at once!
Easy BreakfastCasserole Recipes
- Overnight Breakfast Casserole
- Easy Baked French Toast Casserole
- Easy Cinnamon Roll French Toast Casserole
- How To Make The Best French Toast Recipe Each and Every Time!
Overnight French Toast Casserole
- One loaf French bread cut into 1 inch thick slices
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Powdered sugar optional
- Maple syrup optional
- Fresh fruit
- Coat a 13x9 baking dish with softened butter
- Slice bread and arrange in a baking dish in two rows, overlapping if necessary
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs
- Whisk in the heavy cream, milk, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, and cinnamon
- Pour milk mixture over bread, pressing down lightly to be sure the mixture covers the bread
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes prior to baking
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes or until browned and inside is set
- Serve with powdered sugar, maple syrup or fresh fruit
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 2 days