Homemade Chicken Pot Pie -this easy chicken pot pie recipe is the ultimate comfort food! Learn how to make this easy chicken pot pie recipe full of shredded chicken, peas, carrots in a creamy homemade gravy.
This classic chicken pot pie is the ultimate comfort food! Use a store-bought pie crust with this easy chicken pot pie recipe for either a quick weeknight dinner or a more laid back weekend meal.
Chicken Pot Pie
Full of chicken, peas, and carrots in a light homemade gravy, this recipe is easily doubled which makes it perfect to make one for dinner and one to either freeze or give away.
I love to make and take this homemade chicken pot pie recipe to a new mom or someone just needing a little extra love.
I usually pair it with a salad and chocolate cupcakes for an easy homecooked meal!
The ultimate comfort food that is ready in under 45 minutes!
Tips for making Homemade Chicken Pot Pie:
- You can use turkey or chicken in this recipe. In a pinch, grab a rotisserie chicken from the deli!
- Don’t worry about making your own pie crust (though you can!) This chicken pot pie is made with a store-bought crust that always turns out perfect! I like Pilsbury Pie Crusts Best, but a frozen crust works, too!
- Chicken pot pie is perfect for doubling the recipe and freezing! Have 1 for dinner today and place one in your freezer for a future meal. It’s simple to make – just pop in the oven straight from the freezer! Add a little baking time to make sure it’s hot and browned. No need to thaw first!
Ingredients for Chicken Pot Pie
- chicken breasts
- salt + pepper
- chicken stock
- pie crusts
This homemade comfort dish is always a favorite for everyone who tries it. I’ve taken it to new moms and I’ve made it for family dinners, it’s just so good.
My sister jokes (although I think she really did!) that she and her husband ate the entire pie in one day when I took it to them! It’s really that easy and so good!
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts -cooked & shredded
- 1 cup sliced carrots fresh or frozen I like to use the frozen carrot and peas blend sometimes in a pinch
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2 9 inch unbaked pie crusts store bought is fine!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
- In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk.
- Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add chicken mixture to liquid mixture and stir.
- Place 1 pie crust in bottom of pie pan and add chicken/veggie mixture
- Cover with top crust, seal edges.
- Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving with a green salad or just on it's own!
For more amazing Chicken Recipes, try these next!