The calendar says it’s supposed to be warming up out there – but Mother Nature must still be resting from the hard Winter we’ve all had…until today! The birds are chirping and the sun is shining. Gives me a little hope that Spring is coming…eventually! Until then, we’re still enjoying comfort foods like this Homemade Chicken Pot Pie!
This homemade comfort dish is always a favorite for everyone who tries it. I’ve taken it to new moms and I’ve made it for family dinners, it’s just so good. My sister jokes (although I think she really did!) that her and her husband ate the entire pie in one day when I took it to them! haha! Make your own favorite pie crust recipe OR just grab a Pillsbury pre-made package from the store – either way it’s going to turn out great!
Double the recipe and place one in your freezer for a future meal. It’s simple to make – just pop in the oven straignt from the freezer! Add a little baking time to make sure it’s hot and browned. But, no need to thaw first! Give it a try and let me know what you think. I have a feeling you’re going to be making this Homemade Chicken Pot Pie again and again!
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts - shredded
- 1 cup sliced carrots fresh or frozen I like to use the frozen carrot and peas blend sometimes in a pinch
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2 9 inch unbaked pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
- In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk.
- Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add chicken mixture to liquid mixture and stir.
- Place pie crust in pie pan and add chicken/veggie mixture.
- Cover with top crust, seal edges.
- Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving with a green salad or just on it's own!